Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Indeed i always find that one of the most attractive features on a boot, when the original leather color starts popping out after the top layer wears down on stressed areas.

It can be seen on most vintage engineers too.

Coleslaw came, saw, conquered and some other shit. Beautiful collection. Awe inspiring in fact.

^^^Great info. From my experience, Wesco's fitting is not exactly perfect, so more times than not, you might have to get the boots re-fitted a few times if you have particular needs.

Some boots, inspired by the recent many postings.

RW2268, Chippewa, Buco

Alden Indy, Toys McCoy, Wolverine, Alden

^^Thanks.

Coleslawyum, I seem to recall you stating your preference for Buco engineer boots, I wondered whether that was still true?

Way out of my price league, but just out of curiosity. Seem to think you've had Beck boot too?

On a sort of related note, aren't both the MF Road Champs and the RRL engineers both made by Julian, or have I misinterpreted.

Just how practical are these kind of boots for daily use - I can already see the appeal of not having laces - but the height of both the heel and also the boot sort of concern me. I'd probably be swayed by some kind of mock-engineer or half engineer boot on a lower profile sole., and in so doing entirely defeating the purpose I suspect!

I have handled the Beck's but never pulled the trigger on them. Same sort of construction as the railman boots. I got a pair of Bucos because I was intrigued by the toe tracks as well as the history of Buco. It is sort of the ultimate 50's engineer boot, with veg tanned horsehide, cat paws, toe tracks and nickel hardware. Like a 68 Les Paul (sorry, retarded comparison).

RRL boots were made by Julian, the earlier RC were supposedly made by him (or his company) as well. The recent runs are not I believe due to Juilian's quality control issues. When I went to Inspiration recently, I tried on a pair of RC at Mister Freedom. They are didn't have my size, but they are indeed a half size larger than tagged size. They just started another run of 60 pairs, but a lot of them are accounted for, since they sell the RC worldwide. Available in a few months.

You get used to the loose feeling of pull up boots after awhile as well as the higher heel. I've worn cowboy boots for many years so I was already used to it. As someone mentioned, once broken in, engineer boots are very comfortable. Imo they do look the best with a pair of 47's and a shorter inseam.

Speaking of engineer boots, Chippewa are issuing their "Archival" line of boots with Horween leather (a little late to the table) and repro vintage Vibram soles. They look amazing and will cost somewhere around $400, sold in stores only, August.

Edited by coleslawyum

I'm not sure which one is which, but I call all boots that I have to tug on to put on, pull up boots. Motorcycle boots, I'm picturing a 18" shaft, but I think engineer boots are the same thing.

Yes, the current Chippewa line (under $200) is pretty much shit, since about 2005. The new offerings are pretty much a brand new re-launch.

RRL boots were made by Julian, the earlier RC were supposedly made by him (or his company) as well. The recent runs are not I believe due to Juilian's quality control issues.

Some good info, i was under the assumption the RC were still made by Julian.

Figured this thread was in need of moar pics.

Had some time on my hands so i gave my Lone Wolf Carpenters a polish,

imagehtp.jpg

imagenqfk.jpg

imagefav.jpg

imageuys.jpg

Love the label, strangely it's only sewed on the tongue of one shoe

imagedhui.jpg

I dont think its uncommon mich, My wolfs are the same and the TMC,s come to that.

Good to know, i already assumed it was supposed to be this way, might be somthing that takes inspiration from vintage footwear.

Lovely boots lately.

I think the one sewn label is a tradition. Same on my Russell's. one sewn label, one stamped.

Good to know, i already assumed it was supposed to be this way, might be somthing that takes inspiration from vintage footwear.

When can we expect more info on that?

Well according to the person I spoke to at Inspiration, they should be in stores by the end of August. I was a bit under the weather at Inspiration so I didn't get a chance to snap some pics. But digging around the internets, I found some photos:

chipp1.jpg

chipp3.jpg

chipp2.jpg

Leather will be Horween with repro vintage vibram soles and heels. They will be using the black 1950's woven label that says "Original Chippewa". The boots are made really well. They are definitely going to give Red Wings some competition, especially since I think a lot of people will prefer the Chippewa old-school styling. I already have my eyes set on a pair.

Took them long enough.

The Oak Streets look nice, but anyone think the vamp/toe is too much for the sole?

That's the feature which I actually like, I love a slightly higher toe with a slim sole, just as I love a low toe profile with a more rugged sole (Viberg do this well). Juxtaposition for the win !!

Here are my natty cxl nomads after a couple of months.

8524310406_8ce7e17216_c.jpg

8523075001_14c665325a_c.jpg

8524187784_d9becc28f2_c.jpg

8524288800_f273afe0a9_c.jpg

I only have my iphone at the moment so sorry for the bad lighting. They have developed some marks from cycling with toe clips in all sorts of shitty conditions on my commute, the patina is developing fast on these. You can tell the toe has creased up quite a lot and the cxl has darkened considerably in two months from this:

8376289286_dd52bc2b28_c.jpg

To answer illumin8em's sizing question:

I have 9.5E in SD and since the nomads are only available in D or EE, I went with 9.5EE and they are pretty roomy. I still have heel slip but I don't know if half size down or D width would be better, I suspect not. I'm going to get an extra hole punched on the strap soon, which may help tighten things up enough. For this I will speak to Terry Dear, since he is my local cobbler/leather man.

trench boot looks amazing; need to decide on plain toe or captoe (or would be even better they released a brown CXL trench boot)

coleslawyum, thanks for the Chippewa info; those brown boots on the bottom row; third from left are very appealing

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...