Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Those look great!

Can you provide specs for the middle pair? Specifically interested in the leather.

The middle pair is the White's Insulated Hunters. They are made with White's red dog leather. I actually bought all 3 pairs of these second hand. The leather has a beautiful aged look to it now. I am considering having them resoled, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Edited by ndalgas

Thanks everyone for their comments.

All the boots are sized 8.5 D/E, if you can believe it. Most of them fit pretty well, nothing an insole wouldn't help. In regards to the Red Wings 2268, I had the steel toe taken out which greatly helps the profile.

If you can have Wesco send you an unfinished boot for a fitting, that would be very helpful. Since a custom foot tracing costs $100 you might as well see if they can be more accommodating. Thats why there are so many boots end up in the factory seconds that fit like shit.

When I do an order with a G&G or Edward Green, they always send me a half finished shoe for a fitting. Logical and simple, but not everyone does it. But if I'm dropping $600+ on boots, they better get the fit correct.

Oh god, Uggs ... for men?! Now there's a loose application of the term. Men by chromosome only. Not much else. Awful fucking things, as awful as those elasticated hem jeans , you'll now what I mean - worn by total twats.

Not seen too frequently as they're usually tucked into the wearer's Uggs!

Oh well, I suppose that's only committing one visible sartorial crime.

I think engineer boots as a more casual wear is slightly at odds with the best look for such boots (all IMO of course). They should be worn with regular or fuller cut high rise jeans with a big cuff or a slimmer 1947 style onwards cut with the inseam quite short, at least too short for shoes or a small cuff making the inseam just too short. I don't think these are aesthetics that are easily achieved. There is a great pic somewhere in this thread of a pair of wesco boss and a very small cuff. I'll try and find out. Of course, you can find countless pics on rakuten of baggy-ish jeans and red wing engineers but the Japanese just have that knack of really showing off the clothes.

As for men's UGGs. Rylan Clark springs to mind.

...Just how practical are these kind of boots for daily use - I can already see the appeal of not having laces - but the height of both the heel and also the boot sort of concern me. I'd probably be swayed by some kind of mock-engineer or half engineer boot on a lower profile sole., and in so doing entirely defeating the purpose I suspect!

I think it's an interesting question/comment. I've always preferred lace ups but the convenience of slip on boots is appealing. I don't wear shoes in the house and have a pair of blundstones that are so convenient for quick chores like taking the dog out or taking the kids to/from the bus stop. I've really grown to appreciate the look of engineer boots lately, due primarily to all the great images posted here, but have wondered about the practicality as you mentioned.

In the end I think that any change to the classic engineer boot aesthetic would ruin them. I'll give them a shot me of these days. Are MF RC's available or were they a one season item?

On a sort of related note, aren't both the MF Road Champs and the RRL engineers both made by Julian, or have I misinterpreted.

Both made by Julian Imrie indeed, only the older runs of RRL engineers though, the current ones, the Murdock, are made by another company based in Texas i believe.

You can easily recognize the old versions, the black ones are not dyed all the way through and have a brown inside and the brown ones aren't two tone like the new ones.

I find the comfort of engineers great, after they've been broken in they are amongst the comfiest boots you'll have ever owned, and the fact that you can simply slip them on and off without having to bother with lacing up is an attractive feature.

Especially for a lazy mofo like myself.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...