kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

7,330 posts in this topic

thanks Foxy for my much needed boots overdose ;-)

suede Aldens and brown Vibergs are my favorites

The standard Whites heel is a pretty tough one to wear down. Even with constant wear it should just about make 2 years.

My Bounty Hunters are less than a year old and I maybe have 5mm left at the thinnest edge of the heel. I'm doubtful that it will last another year, but I have worn them pretty hard and put some good mileage on them.

Obviously personal wear and environment is a factor.

Some 1940s goodness with these CC41-stamped boots in a size 11 - unusual to find boots in that size from that period, in my experience:

059tx.jpg

064oe.jpg

And another decent find (even if I say so myself!) with these Edward Green suede brogues sourced from the States, branded 'Trafalgar' and with the UK size crossed out and replaced with the American size. But the original EG width was a 'D' (narrow) so shouldn't these have been marked a US 10 C, or have I just made that up?

067vh.jpg

069eu.jpg

070ef.jpg

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

Some 1940s goodness with these CC41-stamped boots in a size 11 - unusual to find boots in that size from that period, in my experience:

And another decent find (even if I say so myself!) with these Edward Green suede brogues sourced from the States, branded 'Trafalgar' and with the UK size crossed out and replaced with the American size. But the original EG width was a 'D' (narrow) so shouldn't these have been marked a US 10 C, or have I just made that up?

If they were US bound they could have botched the size but not the width marking, and thus the width was an American D from the start, which would be 'standard' width at the time (although it seems E is the standard width now).

I have a pair of road champs that are about half size too small, if I get them resoled can they stretch the boot out to a larger size?

Your best chance (if possible) would be to get the maker (julian) to relast them. This however will cost you assuming it is possible and you are probably better off selling them and buying the correct size.

Does anyone own a pair of Wesco Firestormers? They're basically the lacet-to-toe Jobmaster, so opinions on either would be great.

Velskoen this time, rather than veldtschoen.

Got hacked off with Clarks desert boots, suede was terrible on last pair. And besides, "Original" and "Made in Vietnam" not a good fit.

Really pleased with these Herbert Schiers, good quality, suede's excellent, worth extra expense.

f960b9ea6096e403cb9086699160fb28_zps8ac2ecf9.jpg

Does anyone own a pair of Wesco Firestormers? They're basically the lacet-to-toe Jobmaster, so opinions on either would be great.

I've got L-T-T Jobmasters and I wish I would have gone with the semi L-T-T on my custom build. The design of the boots allows the laces to sit too low against my feet and it bugs the shit out of me! But hopefully a solution is in the works, as I contacted Wesco and they suggested the "warm water and walk them dry" method and if that doesn't help I can have them stretched at the factory.

For what it's worth, my White's Outdoorsmen L-T-T are more comfortable, but to be fair to the Wesco's (I've got less than 20 wears on them) so hopefully they'll break in soon! Hope this info helps!

Does anyone have any experience with custom Wescos? I'm thinking about getting a pair and need to measure/trace my foot. Any advice?

A few pairs of White's.

293h6b5.jpg

Those look great!

Can you provide specs for the middle pair? Specifically interested in the leather.

Does anyone have any experience with custom Wescos? I'm thinking about getting a pair and need to measure/trace my foot. Any advice?

Do it.

superfuzz, on 26 February 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Do it.

Don't forget paper and something to draw around your foot with. A pen or pencil will do, maybe a marker?

Edited by big truck

^^^Great info. From my experience, Wesco's fitting is not exactly perfect, so more times than not, you might have to get the boots re-fitted a few times if you have particular needs.

Some boots, inspired by the recent many postings.

engineerboots1.jpg

engineerboots2.jpg

RW2268, Chippewa, Buco

workboots1.jpg

workboots2.jpg

workboots3.jpg

Alden Indy, Toys McCoy, Wolverine, Alden

engineerboots1.jpg

engineerboots2.jpg

RW2268, Chippewa, Buco

I really like how the rebuild on the 2268 has changed and improved their profile, they look so much better with the nice and chunky leather soles.

Love the variation you have in black engineers, from the 'fat' RW's to the flat toed Buco's.

The other part of you boots collection is not bad too, and that's expressed mildly.

Actually it is a fair enough question; if you want the right result then you got to do it right.

Assume you have read the page? Doesn't link but under 'Men's Custom' pick a model and follow the link for "Your one-of-a-kind fit'.

This page from a WESCO specific seller offers some relatively useful information - http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm

There is also advice from Russell Moccasin, here - http://www.russellmo...tructions2.html

And of course from Whites - http://www.whitesboo...view&page_id=18

Not forgetting the premier Whites reseller, Baker Shoe - http://buildaboot.co.../how-to-measure

Note, when measuring your foot circumference e.g. ball, instep, heel, with a tape measure you will get a marginally greater measurement with your foot on the floor - weight bearing - than with one leg over the knee of the other.

My advice is do it. Then do it again, And at least as many times more comparing results ntil you feel you've achieved a steady medium. You're having a boot built, it is simply not worth fucking it up.

If you're in any doubt, send them one of these too.

8510102683_cda7120d23_o.jpg

They are dollars cheap and although not perfect - modern orthopedics will take a digital scan of your foot - it might help them match your foot to the correctly sized last. Google 'foot foam impression box' or words to that effect.

These guys use them - http://www.beckboots...t''.htm

And here's how - http://www.beckboots...easurements.htm

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't expect to get so much snark from other members for what seemed like a totally reasonable question. I'm going to do it this week!

Coleslawyum, What do you mean exactly by re-fitted, like sending them back to Wesco?

Great boots, BTW!

Thanks for the advice, hoggreaser! I read a post on the Iron Heart forum from a guy who traced and measured his feet twice and still somehow got a pair of boots that didn't fit and that scared the shit out of me. I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it!