kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

absolutely. Lowering by a 1/4" totally changes the arch profile. Theres a Chinese guy on Style Forum that has taken some good pics comparing the differences between heel height and single vs. double soles etc...

^exactly why i'm raising them to standard height__ to get full utilization of the "arc ease". now, is that achievable on half-soles? that we'll have to find out

...... I think I will be going to a full sole/ standard heel height when a resole comes up. I also like the idea of a more Viberg-ish heel taper, but I doubt Whites would oblige.

'have an inkling how long it takes to wear out a pair of Vibram composite soles? ... forever.

anyway, if i chose not to wait forever & decide to re-sole i'd take the commando half-sole route, like on Knuck's White's [as shown below] or the Alden "Ultimate Indy"

the thing is, if i want a full sole like the #700, i'd just get the SemiDress sold @Baker's or w/e & not wait 2-3mos.

_it's about realizing an idea/concept.

black chromexcel, natural sole, half commando, block heel (lowered 1/4), antique hardware.

dislike the laces that came with them, any suggestions?

doEqC.jpg

sorta rounded, didnt realize. feels fine tho

lStB5.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

absolutely. Lowering by a 1/4" totally changes the arch profile. Theres a Chinese guy on Style Forum that has taken some good pics comparing the differences between heel height and single vs. double soles etc...

wheres this thread in styleforum? you need to post the link please

I'm pretty sure for half soles you don't have to raise them to achieve normal arch ease height. looks like it's supposed to be three extra stacks from toe to heel to be normal arch ease height and in my half soles they have the same difference

.. if you din't opt on the 1/4 lowering, ie.

btw, any1 got the heel height measurement for a standard SemiDress on full sole [eg, #700 or 430]?

Edited by BrownMetallic

how do those double soles break in? I imagine they start off extremely stiff and break in to just stiff?

yes thats true until now theyre still quite hard . but i like the feel of it specially when done by okuyama san it give you a more"rolling" feel to it when you walk.

Ed, is the leather upper dark brown water buffalo?

uppers are water buffalo brown. and the lowers are dress brown

a pair of smoke jumpers resoled with reduced heel height and block heel

IMG_1075.jpg

Narrow engineers look great, last ones ar kinda ugly though.

My family tree...

Mark McNairy for Tres Bien - waxy derby boot (commando)

Hey what are the McNairy Boots like compared to the tricker's? i fancied the McNairy Woolrich Woollen Mills boots, but bought tricker's instead. The McNairy's are Sanders right?

Anyone delt with the sand mohave leather red wing chukka? (In terms of aging, versatility, longevity, comfortableness) Thinking about going after it..

sorry but that block heel totally ruins those smoke jumpers

Will do. I'm gonna get some better photos tomorrow, too. Light was already pretty bad when UPS arrived.

i love em! the low pro looks super good! great purchase and that must have a leather man all tingly.

Lordie lord.

Totally worth the wait. Those are amazing hollow.

I'll be looking forward to more pics (on your feet and then evo).

Those look good. The non celastic toebox actually gives it a Packer-ish look. Not a huge fan of chopping a 1/4" off the heel, but at least you went with a cuban!

Wow, I didn't notice the stitching before, those are beautiful!

Incidentally, I saw a pair of size 8 (more like 8 and a half) Lotus shoes in Greenwich last weekend. £35, I think.

GreenwichLotus.jpg

Exactly the same fit as my pair.

Crash Test, awesome as always. Those are now practical as well as beautiful. Should make a pretty strong winter boot.