Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

The Hanwag Goll looks nice and functional; listed.

I'll be using the shoes for fishing so I want to be able to trot through brooks with them and be able to stand in water up to my ankles without getting wet.

This is the kind of dedication that i like... Stood ankle deep in water and still a concern towards aesthetic.

Sir i doff my cap to you.

Would a pair of Barbour wellies in the boot of the car be too practical?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

To offer some additional support, I have the steel toe Red Wing version (essentially) of the elk tracker. They keep my feet dry and comfortable in a brewery where everyone else wears rubber boots. Surprising comfort, I would probably rate them as my most comfortable pair of footwear for all day wear currently.

As for the waterproofing, in 4 months I haven't had so much as damp toes spending all day either standing in water, or with constant splashing.

I bought my first Danners a few months ago and they took A LONG TIME TO BREAK IN. That's the only warning I have for Danner boots. If you don't feel like breaking a boot in for a LONG TIME, you might not like their boots.

Other than that, how can you say no to a pair that looks like this after years of good usage? (Not mine):

explorer-20070810-26.jpg

Edited by mlwdp

Boondockers isn't a maker, it is a type of boot. These have a rivet which is consistent with USArmy service boots, boondockers are USMC and do not have a rivet. Given the shoddy stitching shown (which seams consistent with any repro of these that are not made in Japan), I will guess they are from AtTheFront.

from here

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USFRO

My main problem is finding a 'submergible' shoe that looks nice too. The special forces GTX may be great but their looks don't appeal to me.

Why has no one mentioned LLbean boots? I guess they are not fashionable but I love mine for fishing and if I am not wearing waders, I am wearing bean boots and stay water tight 3/4 to my knee.

Edited by illumin8em

Those white's look great but their price tag is a bit steep for me as I'll not be using them daily.

It will probably be either the Irish Setters or the Danners. The next trip isn't too soon so I still have some time to think it over.

I'm also looking for some 'outdoorsy' boots for normal use which I'll probably get first. I'm leaning towards the Islay by C&J.

Crockett-Jones-Islay-Wingtip-Boots.jpg

Edited by Crat

There's not much to dislike about the Islay. Even Bond would agree:

dsc04749a.jpg

cl052-crockett-jones-islay-james-bond-scotland.jpg

Just glad that I never picked up the Barbour/Tokito model that he's wearing there, even though it did look bloody good on him, as I'd be getting heartily sick of the copycat accusations by now. Although they are now fetching double retail price on eBay at the moment...

I'm looking for a US-site whom has some Red Wing Beckmans available, preferably 9016. Would be a huge + if it's possible to cop a nice pair of jeans or a type II-jacket at the same place. Not really my regular playground so all help is most welcome!

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...