Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

In regards to White Kloud, as far as I can determine from his blog everything is made by one man, fittings are in-person only, and the wait time is around two years. It is possible that I have old info.

I am absolutely floored by the finishing on the sole, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to beat them up. Would love to see some examples though.

And just so I can get in on the English boot talk as well, here's what I'm wearing today:

photo-2.jpg

Tricker's Beechnut Malton with Dainite sole for the Japanese market, closer to Alden's Cigar color in most light. Developing some really nice variations in the shade. I'll try and capture better shots when I can borrow my ladyfriend's camera.

I helped to arrange an order through Richard with some Styleforum dudes and will likely get to post that special makeup sometime in February.

The Klouds certainly divide opinion, Some do look very hard to pull off if not impossible.

These really do float my boat though. A bit of wear alters the profile somewhat.

http://jigokudanna.b...og-post_23.html

Sorry i cant post the image must be a copyright thing.

The WK graphic on the side adds nothing to the boot.

They must be producing stock because Mushmans online store carries them.

These are the same Blucher.87 that are for sale at Mushmans but they look far less "dare i say it" clownish. Might be a camera angle thing. The toe looks flatter.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I think they only really get to looking clown shoe when they too thick of soles and crazy upturned toes.

Pretty sure those were painted post production, and shouldn't reflect Goto-san's artistic sensibilities. The artist's working name is KID, he is a professional pinstriper and painter of vintage Harleys, in addition to a number of other artistic endeavors. He was also at the Mushmans event the other day. With any significant purchase, you received a free painting. Didn't have anything to paint so I had him put my son's name on his rain boots.

IMG_5124.jpg

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't have anybody paint my work boots, but to each their own.

I dont want to start hating, but there is something about those WK's that really bother me (relatively, im not losing sleep or anything). Everything is exaggerated about them. They seem phenomenal in craftsmanship and materials, and everything seems perfect, but I think that perfection is actually bothering me. They look too perfect, too pretty. Almost laboratory in production, its kind of the anti wabi-sabi. I dont know, thats just my thoughts as of now.

Think the wabi-sabi is added post-production by the user through a process that, in our parlance, is often named "shit kickin". :D

To be clear, there is no stock available at Mushmans. For the event last weekend, Goto-san opened up ten spots for oxford (and only oxford) orders. The first ten orderees (and yes all 10 slots were quickly filled) will receive their oxfords in a few months. Boots are still at around 2 years.

Looks like the wk lasts are inspired by concrete bricks. I love the craftsmanship and care put into the work, however. 2 year wait seems insane. Its a good thing he has other jobs to subsidize his boot business. He must make like 1 pair of boots a month. I rather get some mto shoes instead for that kind of money and less wait. I guess you have to be a big fan to cough up almost $2000 for work boots.

I use vinegar to get out a lot of different stains around the house. Never tried it on shoes, but i guess it works too.

I usually never wear the same shoes 2 days in a row and I never let them stay dirty. I don't polish them obsessively, but I always give them a good brushing over and I clean and moisturize the leather soles with Lexol. Makes them last for years.

Hey guys!

Need expert advice on what boot to choose. Not really what boot to buy but some advice on what's better quality, rebuilding options, fits, craftmanship and so on...

I´m looking at buying either of these boots...I want a casual looking boot and since I already got the Indy´s I want something a little extra. I just sold of a massive collection of sneakers (that I used to collect years and years ago) and my Wolverine 1k´s so money should be all good. Although I´m not really looking at spending more than $400-$700.

White's - Semi Dress Boot - using buildaboot.com through Baker's

Viberg - 1950's Service Boot

Alden - #8 Shell Cordovan Captoe Boot

Alfred - Sargent Cambridge

Alfred - Sargent Montague

I really like Chrome Excel and have Alden Indy's with that leather. I am eyeing the Shell Cordovan leather as well, but I am not sure wether or not it´s worth the extra $$$´s...

I know there´s alot of knowledge and experts on here so give it your thoughts.

Thanks guys!

//Alex

In terms if finishing and attention to detail, based on what I've experienced, from best to worst:

- Alfred Sargent

- Viberg

- Alden's

- White's

If you are looking for CXL, only White's and Viberg offer that as an option. MTO Alfred Sargent has been my best experience based on choices, ease and cost. Alden's has no MTO program, so you're pretty much in the hands of the retailer. White's is still the cheapest for the options you can get, but I've always been a bit (not a lot) disappointed by the the finishing. It's a true heavy duty work boot. Viberg falls between a work boot and a dress boot.

Another option you should look at is Lone Wolf Boots. They are about $680 and are made of CXL.

Edited by coleslawyum

And russell moccasin.

Come in under $500, MTO, CXL leather, pretty different style to what you have listed but you have gone from english boots to American dress to American work anyway...

In all seriousness, you are not going to go wrong with any of those choices. It is down to personal choice in the end.

i think in the end it really boils down to how often do you want to wear them and also how far into the future can you still see yourself being able to wear them. you can't go wrong with either of the options but like what fresco (or fre-co??) said, you have pretty different styles going on. if you're going to be spending $400-$700 on a pair of boots (still quite a substantial bit of money although they are pretty commonplace price for boots), you would really want to stretch your dollar in the long run. so decide on the style of boot you really want and im pretty sure the suggestions will flow in.

good luck!

IMO, it's japanese aesthetics. one can't appreciate the artistry & craftsmanship that goes into each pair, if you look at it just from a "western" point of view.

i see it as "next level" shit__ a more dressier SemiDress.

a cosmopolitan take on an iconic "work boots" from a japanese vernacular.

a jap twist, if you may,

:rolleyes: if you think about it, [they] don't even wear White's [nor jap jeans] the same way the west does ;)

no, i can appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship, and then still conclude they are ugly.

I like the finish products of red kloud boots..especially the green colour with semi dress looks . The mirror finish soles& heel are so dope.but not a fan of flat square looks last.

no, i can appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship, and then still conclude they are ugly.

personal point of view taken ... i'm also just expressing mine.

just to clarify__ peeps seem to misread pure admiration with ownership.

tho i loved any of those pairs i posted, i don't have the "lifestyle" to justify wearing them.

also, i don't have the fund, nor the time to wait on an MTO.

the shape of the last maybe unflattering to some, but it is what pulls the whole piece together & makes them "unique" & japanesey [if only to invent a word to describe]. the designer prolly had local folks [who appreciate his work] in mind when he made his creation__ & not gaijin.

since i'm not really a dress shoes kinda guy, for me, WK is the GG [Gaziono Girling, eg.] or Lobb MTO equivalent in the work boots world

... .just IMHO, of course ;) :

Edited by BrownMetallic

I totally agree with you in regards to serving a specific customer. Most people who work in a field requiring heavy duty work boots would never spend that kind of loot on some fancy hand lasted boots, let alone $500 custom White's (although a lot of people do purchase the stock boots, like the smoke jumper, just for working)

I think those boots are a work of art, but damn, they sure are ugly. Its funny how much of a reaction they are getting.

It's interesting that you mention G&G, since I would rather get a pair of those instead. It would take about 5 months and about $800 less than a pair of WK to be made. Of course G&Gs are not hand lasted, welted or stitched so in some ways WK is a "bargain."

I'm actually more interested in what BRASS / Clinch Boots is producing. I've spoken to Mr. Matsura, one of the owners and craftsman of BRASS, and he has informed me that these boots are hand lasted /welted. They also are custom measured to your foot (but not in a bespoke way). They have an engineer boot and a work boot, with or without cap toe. All the skins are from Horween. Pricing is around $1000, and definitely more up my alley, that is, if I had that kind of dough.

Pulled these from the blog.

brass1.jpg

brass2.jpg

Edited by coleslawyum

Ha ha...

Popped on here a few pages back to complain at the clown shoes on show (appealing for more English beauty).

Got shouted at for daring to criticise - although the sometimes cloying sycophancy forces me to speak out.

Great to see some others have dared to say "no!" to some of the posts. And funny to see even more clowny clown shoes. Money and craftsmanship does not always equal style.

Anyway, it is all subjective. I'm now hankering for something like an Alfred Sargent Holburn in black, or Trickers Allan in black; no custard pies free with those shoes!

Edited by Steve7

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...