Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

3 hours ago, mpukas said:

You guys need to try merino socks w/ boots. They're not hot in warm climates, even in tall leather boots, and they're much more comfortable for a long day. Darn Tough are hard to beat. 

IMO, best socks ever ... Got pairs from 10yrs ago that I still use.

Don't really think too much about socks, I have a lot of Uniqlo socks since they seem to last forever and are dirt cheap.
I have a hard time finding socks that are long enough to wear with my Lofgren engineer boots.

28 minutes ago, Broark said:

Don't really think too much about socks, I have a lot of Uniqlo socks since they seem to last forever and are dirt cheap.
I have a hard time finding socks that are long enough to wear with my Lofgren engineer boots.

Just get over the calf socks from Thorlo or Wigwam. I used to wear Wigwam polypro OTC hiking socks from Cabela's years ago with Roper style boots. I have skinny ankles and hate when socks fall down. Check out the military anti-fatigue socks here https://www.thorlo.com/shop/men-socks-over_calf

It’s weird when you change socks and suddenly the boots/shoes you’re wearing now feel “looser” in fit.  I’m referring to custom built footwear btw not stock footwear.

Edited by mlwdp

$30 for a pair of socks seems absurd but $300 for jeans doesn’t? Socks have more of an effect on day-to-day comfort and overall quality of life than any other piece of clothing, in my experience, and accordingly I’m more willing to splurge on them than just about anything else—warm, dry, well-cushioned feet are worth a whole lot

Anyone else using bamboo socks? I find that they make for very good dress socks which for me is a necessity in the warmer months. The bamboo works better for me than cotton socks in terms of heat regulation and overall feel.

Socks are a bit hit and miss though. You can spend a fortune on very nice socks like Chup or something similar. They're obviously very well made and look really nice but I don't find that they do anything particularly good for my feet. Proper boot socks made for hiking are usually a much better bang for the buck in my opinion. I haven't tried the middle ground yet though, I'm considering investing in some Tender socks come autumn - anyone got experience with them?

^ Yep, I wear Tender socks every day and have been for a couple of years now. Tried a handful of the “fancier” brands along with the usual REI, Darn Tough, etc., and these are by far my favorites. I particularly like the mohair and the standard wool; the alpaca is good too when it’s cold.

Bamboo would be what, viscose? I don’t have much experience with synthetics, but being that it’s cellulose-based I’d be surprised if you didn’t find wool to be a good step up in terms of comfort.

41 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

$30 for a pair of socks seems absurd but $300 for jeans doesn’t? Socks have more of an effect on day-to-day comfort and overall quality of life than any other piece of clothing, in my experience, and accordingly I’m more willing to splurge on them than just about anything else—warm, dry, well-cushioned feet are worth a whole lot

Not sure I said absurd. Just not willing to spend that. 

I can see form your posts your lifestyle is far more active than mine, hiking and working on your feet at a market (I think) which I’m enviable of. I have a desk job, do pretty mild activities with the fam and go to the pub (more than I should). As such I don’t need to invest in socks. I appreciate that others do. 

I wear woollen socks most of the time. They’re best for heat regulation and for sweat - I’m fortunate not to have particularly sweaty feet but even so I’ve worn (by necessity) hiking socks for a few days at a time and never had problems with blisters or odours. 

Good cotton socks are ok - but they’ve got to have hand-linked toes to be properly comfortable. I prefer Falke if it’s cotton socks I want - brilliant quality and fit. I’ve went through a batch of Tender socks - neither the linen nor the cotton are worth the money IMO and I’ll not buy them again. Neither am I a big fan of the Chup style sock - again too high a price for what’s on offer.

Edited by Duke Mantee

From my perspective... I just wear what'evs from Marks & Sparks, i think £7 for a pack of 3 is an ample amount to be spending on socks. I could be camping out in the snow in sub-zero temperatures, hiking in sleet, rain and hail or walking through freezing cold rivers and i would never even think about wearing expensive socks, i appreciate that they might be nicer, more comfortable ect but i'm from the north of England ffs! i have an inbuilt tolerance to suffering :D and in a masochistic kind of way i kind of enjoy hardship above luxury...
I also appreciate that spending more money would make me more comfortable but im not keen on pampering myself..for instance, it's fucking freezing at my work during winter, the gasoil for the heating system costs me £395 for 500litre and i eek it out the best i can, if i spent £790/yr i would be a lot more comfortable (same with socks) but to quote De La Soul "Sometimes the body needs to feel stressed to appreciate the joy" so i like to think that i don't have to wait for a purchase or a holiday to bring me happiness, just getting home to a warm house in the evening fills me with it. Now if i had and endless amount of money i'm sure i would have a more comfortable lifestyle and wear more expensive socks :D but i don't and even though they only cost $30, i can find much better ways of spending that $30 to bring me enjoyment.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

I have bought nothing but Holeproof socks from Australia since 2002 and they are unbeatable imo. They have a range which are a wool and cotton blend, which are perfect for all temperatures. I wear them for work and non work activities and have no sweat issues etc. Good solid socks that last for years and only around 5-6 quid a pop.

Curtent batch are on their 5th year of wear with no holes!

Won't buy anything else. 

I'll spend £300+ on jeans cos i'm a denim nerd but i won't spend £80+ on a t-shirt cos i don't give a shit about t-shirts even if it was the most luxurious t-shirt in the world.. from my perspective it's not worth any more than £30. Some folks on the forum like to have the very best of everything even down to spending 100's of pounds on a keyring from an approved brand, i'm certainly not one of those guys.

53 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Aye, the south of the north ... you’re practically a midlander :tongue:

So true. Look at a physical relief map rather than a political one. Then turn that map upside down for reference. That’ll give you a true picture!

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

6 Eyelet Plain Toe Blucher - military style (I think WW2 officer’s shoes were 6 eyelet)

Thanks Duke, I had a feeling they were on the 379x military last. That's all that seems to be catching my eye from Alden these days.

3 hours ago, Geeman said:

Nothing wrong with the Midlands !

I found it amusing that South Holland was quite adamant it didn’t want to be part of Europe - but Lincoln Cathedral is impressive, I’ll give you that ... 

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

If you consider Scotland to be part of northern England then yes, geography was never my strongest suit..

I consider Englandshire to be the nether region of Scotland

Edited by Duke Mantee