Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I'll defer to JL, as he knows what's cool... but I don't get the point of a heavy white wax that will wear off quickly to reveal natural shell underneath. To say that this leather ages rapidly is inaccurate, IMO. Just because the wax scuffs away doesn't mean the leather has aged. It may show contrast between wax and leather, but that's not the leather aging. Saying that, curious to see what these would look like in year with consistent wear. 

8 hours ago, mpukas said:

To say that this leather ages rapidly is inaccurate, IMO. Just because the wax scuffs away doesn't mean the leather has aged. It may show contrast between wax and leather, but that's not the leather aging.

Indeed

Surely the leather and the wax coating 'age' at exactly the same rate... they would defy the laws of physics otherwise ;)

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I don't know why (honestly) but I kinda like those white-not white brown Lofgren's?! 

Maybe it's because they're odd that they appeal to me (in theory - price is a bit rich)?

Wouldn't buy white leather boots, but waxed is interesting...Fcuk's sake! - Off for a cold shower

The Lofgren boot is natural (undyed) cordovan.  It looks horrible at first, but will indeed darken up quickly and look pretty cool in no time.  Not that I'd buy it -- certainly not at that price -- but it's not white and will not look like that for long.

Edited by tod

15 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

So educate me on WWII rough out service boots. 
who makes a good pair? Love the Lofgren a but that price is way out of my budget. 
Thanks 

WWII Impressions makes a good pair - resoleable, well-crafted. NOT like the degree Lofgren's are.

Army roughouts: https://www.wwiiimpressions.com/collections/footwear-army/products/697

Marine roughouts: https://www.wwiiimpressions.com/collections/usmc-footwear/products/694

The Marine model has a narrower, to my eye, more modern toebox. I've owned a pair of WWII Impressions footwear - the Army Service Boot (non-roughout) and found them to be heavy duty and durable.

7 hours ago, ecsong187 said:

So educate me on WWII rough out service boots. 
who makes a good pair? Love the Lofgren a but that price is way out of my budget. 
Thanks 

Not really service boots but a good alternative in a decent price range, Redwing Merchant boot. 

5 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I was hoping you would make the brave journey to Nick’s. :laugh:

Nicks didn’t surprise me with a coupon for cost on any one pair of boots! Haha 

The Lofgren waxed boots remind me of those Guidi painted Vibergs from a few years ago that got everybody all upset - the Lofgrens will probably look like that with some wear.

I think the concept is really cool, I just don't really get how they're going to age well in practice. For most people I imagine that the wax is only really going to wear away on the heel and a little at the toe. The rest of the shoe isn't likely to see much wax-scraping-abrasion unless the wearer works on a construction site or something - a situation for which $1300+ boots would be more than a little weird. I could see someone buying these boots and waiting years for the wax to scrape away, but it never really happens. (Side note, this is why I'm not crazy about overdyed jeans.)

Yeah, if there was an easy way to get rid of all the wax from the start I’d be half tempted, ‘cause they’ll probably end up looking great eventually, but they’re so ugly out of the box that I honestly don’t think I could get myself to wear them enough for them to get to that point naturally