Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 10/21/2019 at 1:03 AM, Aries said:

Just received my Wesco Van Cleefs, what a beautiful leather. Can't wait for the Aussie sun to work its magic (thankfully not on my skin...).

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

@Aries what do you think so far?

They front of the boot is quite snug on me but I still have quite a decent amount of help slip. Quite sure they’re not too big...about half an inch or so in front of the big toe when standing up. I think I just have fat forefoot and narrow heels. By no means am I about to step out of them, but I would prefer a more planted feeling. Hoping it settles down as the soles break in. 

The sun’s not very intense these days, but I’ve had them sitting out in it for a few hours each weekend and they’ve darkened noticeably. I don’t plan to treat them with anything until it starts snowing.  

8B7E1206-5181-46C7-B81D-916B57DF510E.thumb.jpeg.616519534e107f38b606be6dd104f774.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Quoise1203
Add photo

@Quoise1203 - really liking them so far. I have narrow feet so got these custom sized (12C left foot / 11D right foot). Walking is immediately comfortable, though the left is still a bit tight on the arch, will loosen up after a week or two though.

Heel slip will (or should!) always happen a little with Engineer Boots, it’s the nature of the beast. What should never happen is forefoot slipping around, so sounds like you sized correctly. Basically as long as the heel lifts when you walk, but not forefoot, you’re fine.

those attractions look so pretty. <3 all the elements are just so "balanced", though i can't work out how/why? it's like an image of the rockabilly/the wild one engineers i've always carried in my mind made manifest irl. 

14 hours ago, mlwdp said:

@Quoise1203 @AriesI really wish Wesco USA would stock the same roller buckle colors that Wesco Japan has.  

I would have maybe preferred a slightly smaller buckle (lengthwise) or one in polished brass, but the ones on these are leagues better than the fluted style that used to be the only available option. 

12 minutes ago, Quoise1203 said:

@mlwdp I’m tempted by those stock horse hides, but I don’t like that you can’t get them without the toe protection at the moment. 

Celestic Toe? Yeah it’s kind of hard to put that in a narrow boot if that’s what you’re referring to.  The weird thing about Wesco is that if you order the Boss in a celastic Toe, not only are you limited in leather choices as it won’t allow you to have the vamp in Horsehide, but you are also limited to just one sole, Vibram logger style.  It’s really weird when White’s doesn’t have that problem with using that toe style and leather.

I’m hopeful that Wesco adds brown Horsehide leather to its regular lineup permanently just the like the black option.

Not usual SuFu brands.. but after trying a pair of Doctor Martens on for the first time in over 20 + years I forgot how comfortable the airwear sole is. 

Now considering a  pair of MIE, possibly these Horween boots 

21-09-2019_drmartens_pascalbootmadeineng

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

Not usual SuFu brands.. but after trying a pair of Doctor Martens on for the first time in over 20 + years I forgot how comfortable the airwear sole is. 

Now considering a  pair of MIE, possibly these Horween boots 

21-09-2019_drmartens_pascalbootmadeineng

Doc Marten's are also in the Boots Bible by Lightning.

71+wDbkPaYL.jpg

On 10/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, Quoise1203 said:

@mlwdp I’m tempted by those stock horse hides, but I don’t like that you can’t get them without the toe protection at the moment. 

MP toes can't be built with a celastic toe per Chris at Wesco.  Just build one with the boss toe instead, but you only get one sole option though, with is the vibram 100 lug.

Wore the Attractions all weekend, feet aren’t too upset with me.

going to do another week of daily wear in them, they’re definitely stiff boots! I do wonder if 9.5 would have been a better fit but then again maybe too much heel slip, I just need the toe box to spread out just a bit more.

15 hours ago, knucks said:

Wore the Attractions all weekend, feet aren’t too upset with me.

going to do another week of daily wear in them, they’re definitely stiff boots! I do wonder if 9.5 would have been a better fit but then again maybe too much heel slip, I just need the toe box to spread out just a bit more.

Did you use a boot jack to get them off?  And what kind?

1 week of Australia’s sun

also, any tips on lightening stains (just below the side of the big toe on the left boot you can see a slight globular stain)? Not too annoying but wondering if I should try and work on the stain or just embrace the wabi sabi.

90CB06F2-E4D2-4DD7-B606-6BB2E05EBF6F.jpeg

Do you know what caused the stain? If it's oil based, it may go away on its own. I was cooking once and didn't realize I had a glob of peanut butter on my boots that left an oil stain.  A week later, the stain dissipated and I couldn't even see it. My stain wasn't nearly that big, however. 

Edited by fresh1

You could try leaving liberal amount of baby powder on it overnight to draw it out if it's grease/oil. Also, cleaning it with some saddle soap or a soap solution. I've used those to some effect in the past along with simply letting it age and patina, which will mostly make the stain dissipate/become far less obvious.

Here's a good guide:

https://www.wikihow.life/Clean-Grease-Stains-on-Leather