Jump to content
kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

Recommended Posts

@edmondI spoke to Grizzly Boots store associate today.   I didn't get his name, but he claimed that they no longer do Grizzly boots, just retail for White's and Nick's.  Funny thing, he said to check the website and that they haven't made Grizzly boots for 10 years now.  Hmmm wow.

Not even Archive.org can help.  The website has been down for some time.

Here's to some wishful thinking.

https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search?p=Grizzly+Boots&search.x=1&tid=top_ga1_sa&ei=UTF-8&aq=-1&oq=grizzly+boot&ai=Xt4wB4K8R8e8mu3RVgK1oA&ts=3805&fr=top_ga1_sa#mode%3Dsearch

It's time to let the dream die.

Edited by mlwdp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look like Bounty Hunters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

sick! what boots and makeup?

bounty hunters.

Distressed smooth 

Antique hardware

Natural midsole

Regular heel

Vibram 700 sole

 

How they looked brand new

23473092191_871f8e3891_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 2:32 PM, mlwdp said:

The horsehair brushes and shoe shine rags are by Kiwi.  

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

I quit using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on my leather, especially my boots. It works great in terms of protection/waterproofing, but eventually gives way to a flat, dull look -- lots of darkening, and no room for depth or character. 

Unless of course your use case demands that kind of hardcore protection, then by all means, keep using it! Otherwise, the Saphir Renovateur is a great substitute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@enojyI use the obenauf only for the work boots and my oxfords.  It does darken them up quite a bit and makes them look very dull.  I am a firm believer in Saphir.  Crossing my fingers on winning their Shoe Care Package competition coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enojy said:

I quit using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on my leather, especially my boots. It works great in terms of protection/waterproofing, but eventually gives way to a flat, dull look -- lots of darkening, and no room for depth or character. 

Unless of course your use case demands that kind of hardcore protection, then by all means, keep using it! Otherwise, the Saphir Renovateur is a great substitute.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lahaina did a collab with SKOOB on a engineer boot.  Not a bad price for a MIJ engineer boot.  They look like Attractions and Red Wing.  I'm not too familiar with Skoob but their price points are decent.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/lahaina/10006714/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clinch engineer boots are very nice, but for nearly 2 grand I'd probably rather get some made to measure engineer boots from Role Club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time has come for me to admit that almost none of my shoes fit properly in the toe; they pinch like crazy and it's becoming more painful with age.

Here's the problem: I have a very strange foot shape and am not very tall. The proportions of my foot until you hit the toes, arch, width, etc are similar to that of someone with about an 8 sneaker size, but the length of my foot is only about a 6. I have extremely wide and flat toes that spread out in a nearly straight line like a damn Hobbit. We're talking over 4.5 inches on a foot that's 9.5 inches long. I wear dress socks inside a Tricker's Stow and it's still tight. The famously extra large RM Williams, even in a wide width, are something like .75 inches too narrow. It sucks.

I'm looking into getting some Indys in a EEE if they still stock those regularly, or custom Whites semi dress. Any other suggestions? Anything stock that's bulbous enough for my affliction? Should I be wearing Renn faire moccasins for the rest of my life?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Planetarium said:

The time has come for me to admit that almost none of my shoes fit properly in the toe; they pinch like crazy and it's becoming more painful with age.

Here's the problem: I have a very strange foot shape and am not very tall. The proportions of my foot until you hit the toes, arch, width, etc are similar to that of someone with about an 8 sneaker size, but the length of my foot is only about a 6. I have extremely wide and flat toes that spread out in a nearly straight line like a damn Hobbit. We're talking over 4.5 inches on a foot that's 9.5 inches long. I wear dress socks inside a Tricker's Stow and it's still tight. The famously extra large RM Williams, even in a wide width, are something like .75 inches too narrow. It sucks.

I'm looking into getting some Indys in a EEE if they still stock those regularly, or custom Whites semi dress. Any other suggestions? Anything stock that's bulbous enough for my affliction? Should I be wearing Renn faire moccasins for the rest of my life?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Have you ever had your foot measured on a brannock device by a competent shoe sales person or foot specialist? It sounds like you have a wide foot with a longer heel to ball measurement compared to heel to toe measurement. I have a similar issue in that my heel to toe is 10.5 and heel to ball is around 11.5-12. In this circumstance you need to size for the ball of your foot or else your fee will forever be cramped up in the front of your shoes.

 

if you get your foot measured make sure they do both measurements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second a Brannock device suggestion.  Opened up my eyes to my foot sizing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, erk said:

Have you ever had your foot measured on a brannock device by a competent shoe sales person or foot specialist? It sounds like you have a wide foot with a longer heel to ball measurement compared to heel to toe measurement. I have a similar issue in that my heel to toe is 10.5 and heel to ball is around 11.5-12. In this circumstance you need to size for the ball of your foot or else your fee will forever be cramped up in the front of your shoes.

 

if you get your foot measured make sure they do both measurements. 

That's probably the case. When I was young I just wore size 8 sneakers and all was basically good, but extra toe space in a stiffer shoe or boot drives me nuts. I'll get measurements, but probably will save up for a custom job rather than buy something stock that's too long.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s the right size it won’t feel long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 10:02 AM, Planetarium said:

The time has come for me to admit that almost none of my shoes fit properly in the toe; they pinch like crazy and it's becoming more painful with age.

Here's the problem: I have a very strange foot shape and am not very tall. The proportions of my foot until you hit the toes, arch, width, etc are similar to that of someone with about an 8 sneaker size, but the length of my foot is only about a 6. I have extremely wide and flat toes that spread out in a nearly straight line like a damn Hobbit. We're talking over 4.5 inches on a foot that's 9.5 inches long. I wear dress socks inside a Tricker's Stow and it's still tight. The famously extra large RM Williams, even in a wide width, are something like .75 inches too narrow. It sucks.

I'm looking into getting some Indys in a EEE if they still stock those regularly, or custom Whites semi dress. Any other suggestions? Anything stock that's bulbous enough for my affliction? Should I be wearing Renn faire moccasins for the rest of my life?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Oh, where do I start and not be proselytizing ... Footwear and proper sizing is a big issue for me. I have a wide foot, tall arch and high instep. "Normal" sized footwear doesn't work for me. In short, it really doesn't work for anyone, most people just don't know it. Although a "D" width is considered most common, modern footwear is not designed to accommodate the natural shape of a human foot. Modern people's feet have been unknowingly distorted since we were little kids by various forms of footwear that were put on us. Of course everyone has different shaped feet with differing proportions. Our feet should be widest at the ends of the toes, not at the outer toe knuckles. No one needs elevated heel, arch support, toe lift, rocker, cushioning, etc. Well, except for people who have worn shoes all of their lives and their feet are weak and therefore need all of those "benefits" that modern shoes offer... 

But, we live in a world were shoe design and sizing has been standardized, and unless you want to go with one of the few small companies that makes foot-shaped shoes and boots (and most of those offerings are cheap and ugly), you have to play the game. The biggest problem with shoe sizing advice is it's generally just about the length of the shoe compared to the foot. There are too many other variables to consider for proper fitting.

As mentioned above, the Brannock device is a good place to start (if you haven't) as it measures total length, width as well as length from heel to ball of foot. It doesn't measure arch height and instep volume though. Shoes are sized by length first, but don't get attached to that number. The shoe needs to bend where the ball of your foot is for proper flex. The width at both the heel and forefoot needs to be proper so as to not allow slip or constriction. The volume over the instep needs to be sufficient for adequate lacing without hot-spots. Arch support is nonsense. No one needs it - everyone's feet are perfectly fine to support themselves. They are just weak from being supported their entire lives. If you think you need it, their your shoes. 

If you're not familiar with the Munson last, look into it (I didn't know about it until I started hanging out here). It was designed by a military doctor in the early 1900's to fit the most soldiers feet. It's wide at the forefoot to accommodate a natural foot shape and not cause blisters, fatigue, etc. with lots and lots of walking. There are a couple of companies that use the Munson last, and several that reference the Munson last when describing their own in-house last. 

After all that, my advice is to find footwear that's offered in wide sizes and don't be concerned about sizing up in length to get adequate width and volume. If you go with a brand like Russell, White's, Wesco, etc. that does semi-custom sizing, they have a wide catalog of sizes to choose from. See if you can get them to do an E width at the heel and a EEEE width at the ball, and extra high instep volume. For example, my foot measures a 9 in length, but to the ball of my foot it's a 10. EE width. To get modern, off the shelf footwear to work for me I usually have to get E or EE width and size up to a 9.5 or 10.

I have a pair of White's SJ that I had rebuilt; they are 8.5 E with standard arch, and they KILL my feet now. I can't even wear them for a few hours. Someday I'd like to have them rebuilt again in a larger size with no arch (but primarily for better construction as the rebuild job they did was pretty bad). Russell Moccasin made me boots (after over a year of back and forth sizing issues), dead flat with no heel, Munson last, 7.5 E at heel and EEE at ball, extra high instep. they're probably the best fitting pair of boots I've ever had. I also have Grant Stone Diesel boots in a 9.5E, but their last runs large and I could have gone with a 9E. They have  no arch, and were extremely comfortable out of the box for me. I've been sized for Redwing, and I need a 9.5EE for boots made on their No. 8 last (Beckman, Iron Ranger, etc.). Maybe look at White's Swing last, and Viberg's 2040 or 2045 last. 

Sorry for the long winded post. I hope that helps. Cheers! mpp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 3:49 AM, Broark said:

Clinch engineer boots are very nice, but for nearly 2 grand I'd probably rather get some made to measure engineer boots from Role Club.

Yeah this pricing is pretty intense. When I bought my 2 custom pairs of Clinch, they were a lot less money than they are on this website. I am so glad I ordered when I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Yeah this pricing is pretty intense. When I bought my 2 custom pairs of Clinch, they were a lot less money than they are on this website. I am so glad I ordered when I did.

I had a feeling Clinch was pricey, figuring that they were John Lobb-ish prices.  It was about time though that they finally created a proper webshop.

Edited by mlwdp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever own the Brass sneakers? They look awesome but $500 for sneakers seems insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 12:30 PM, Planetarium said:

That's probably the case. When I was young I just wore size 8 sneakers and all was basically good, but extra toe space in a stiffer shoe or boot drives me nuts. I'll get measurements, but probably will save up for a custom job rather than buy something stock that's too long.

Thanks!

If you are interested in the offerings from Wesco they do offer making a custom last for your foot. Also Role Club offers custom sizing. While the cost of the Role Clubs are higher in pricing up front Wesco's are likely to cost similar if you do go the custom last route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Wesco, they have another 100th Anniversary model coming up next Friday.  It's gonna be an Engineer boot again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125