Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Wore them a few hours today. Not too bad so far, but will definitely take a while to get used to the arch. 

My feet were definitely starting to get sore already. 

I don't know if it's really fair to talk about "how far Viberg has fallen" just because you don't stylistically agree with what they make at this moment.
It's not like they changed their construction methods, started buying shitty leather or shipped their production methods overseas.
Hell, I don't like those boots and I'd never buy a pair that looks like that myself, but they are still well made and the company still makes a classic work boot here and there.
Just because you don't agree with the direction and some of the shoes that they make doesn't mean they've suddenly fallen to a B-rate shoemaker.
I agree that I don't like a lot of of the stuff they have been doing lately, but you can only sell so many big 'ol work boots to heritage guys. I think Brett is just trying to angle for a different market on the side. It's not like they're exclusively making high fashion shoes and have completely forgotten their heritage.
Just my opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Viberg heritage boots are still quality based on comparing my recent pair and my pair from 5 years ago. I'd prefer if they avoided the sidelines but it doesn't diminish the boots from what I have seen. Certainly hoping Viberg keeps keeping on as a heritage brand.

I agree w/ @Broark just because Viberg is diversifying by making product for other markets doesn't in any way mean they've "fallen". They are still one of the leading - and original - makers of heritage/work/military boots. The number of guys into heritage work wear is prolly far smaller that the fashion crowd, and if they can bring their same level of quality in designs that appeal to the constantly changes tastes of the fashion world, then good for them as a company. I'm not at all interested in the fashion crap, but because they make that stuff doesn't deter me from wanting to someday own a pair of their heritage boots. 

It also contributes to keeping them alive and well as a business, and still make the products that appeal to this crowd. A similar comparison is Redwing. Although they're also one of the original heritage footwear makers, today RW's bread-n-butter is real work boots for real work, all of which no one here would ever be caught dead wearing in a fit pic of fancy raw denim. They're Heritage line is really just a fashion brand, and only is able to exist because of the real work boot market. 

Whites has "dabbled" in the high fashion world but still centered around their logging/dress boot models.  I've seen them work with Chrome Hearts and Cluct every once and a while.  I don't know if you can count their rare take on chukkas which may or may not go into mass production based on the Whites thread on styleforum.

Wesco, however, hasn't really unless you count their collaboration with Neighborhood.

And Nick's hasn't done any changes to their collection (except the Robert boot) other than that Special order moc toe workboot about 3 years ago.  Now that was short lived!

Edited by mlwdp

There's a decent article on PTO about Jason Jules documentary on John Simons that has points related to this topic. 

As the heritage craze has now passed, apart for us weirdos, it's left a legacy where even the fashioned obsessed/hypebeasts care about construction, materials etc. 

Makes sense that a brand such as Viberg, synonymous with quality construction and heritage, would trade on that new found ethic. 

If they also stick with their core lines that made the brand what it is they can't really be criticised for it. Though them are ugly boots!

PTO

Edited by Geeman

Well, I wouldn’t feel too comfortable putting my name on a product I didn’t fully believe in, let’s put it that way. But maybe they really do like what they’re doing and it’s not a cash grab. Times is tough out there kiddos, that’s for sure. It’s a shame we have to turn tricks to keep our hobbies going. 

Edited by Iron Horse

Fit is spot on. I don’t have weird feet so a standard 8D is perfect. 

Little snug on the sides and in the front of the ankle, but after a 10hr shift yesterday they’re breaking in quickly. 

I love the Red Wing moc toe shoes so I had my cobbler rework these black ones.  New leather mid sole, old stock Biltrite soles, and a new Biltrite heel.  Very happy with them.  Previously had the standard white wedge soles.

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

On 4/28/2018 at 4:42 AM, Broark said:

I don't know if it's really fair to talk about "how far Viberg has fallen" just because you don't stylistically agree with what they make at this moment.
It's not like they changed their construction methods, started buying shitty leather or shipped their production methods overseas.
Hell, I don't like those boots and I'd never buy a pair that looks like that myself, but they are still well made and the company still makes a classic work boot here and there.
Just because you don't agree with the direction and some of the shoes that they make doesn't mean they've suddenly fallen to a B-rate shoemaker.
I agree that I don't like a lot of of the stuff they have been doing lately, but you can only sell so many big 'ol work boots to heritage guys. I think Brett is just trying to angle for a different market on the side. It's not like they're exclusively making high fashion shoes and have completely forgotten their heritage.
Just my opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disagree. I have seen some pretty questionable stitching coming from Viberg.  Also, they have changed construction methods so you are wrong about that... they used to only do stitch down and now they do a lot of Goodyear welting. I don't think they're now B rate, but their reputation has fallen significantly. It was not long ago that everyone was singing Viberg's praises. Their reputation is definitely not what it once was, though they still have a lot of fans. Therefore, their reputation has indeed fallen in the denim and work wear circle. I didn't say their construction has necessarily fallen. I think it was never as good as most people said it was. Also, this is not just about what they've done lately. This is a trend that has been building for a few years. Obviously, they are still quite popular. My point is that among the denim head audience or whatever you want to call it, they are not considered golden gods like they used to, which I think is a good thing.

I should have clarified with what I meant by 'fallen.' I just meant that their position in the heritage boot market has been shaken. Truman, love them or hate them, has gained a lot of traction (for the record, I do not own any Truman boots either) and I have definitely noticed that Wesco's reputation has risen while Viberg's has gone down slightly. I remember a time when Viberg was considered to clearly be the best of the Pacific Northwest bootmakers. Over the last couple of years, I have seen more and more people say that Wesco is the best of that bunch. Again, Viberg's quality may not have changed at all, but how they are perceived has changed for the negative.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

Why is it that stitch down is preferred to good hear welt again?

what frustrates me most about viberg is that it seems like 95% of their normal laced boots are captoe 2030 last with a low heel. I mean Jesus, if you like that look man do you have so many options. From other brands too!

if you’re like me and prefer a larger toe box and higher heels I have to look elsewhere from viberg. 

i personally prefer goodyear welt for aesthetic reasons. I also heard it's theoretically more durable because you can replace the welt if it wears out but it probably wouldn't come to that in your lifetime.

13 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

what frustrates me most about viberg is that it seems like 95% of their normal laced boots are captoe 2030 last with a low heel. I mean Jesus, if you like that look man do you have so many options. From other brands too!

if you’re like me and prefer a larger toe box and higher heels I have to look elsewhere from viberg. 

I think this sums it up for me too. Sick of the 2030, pointy toe service boots. They just don't fit my feet well and seem to be a dime a dozen.
And Dude, I think that if you had made those points originally a lot of people would have agreed with you. Instead you just claimed that Viberg has fallen from graces or whatever so that's why I wrote what I wrote. I wouldn't say that I'm flat out wrong in saying their construction methods haven't changed, they just started making more GYW options because they were evidently ruining a bunch of leather when attempting stitch down on more thin and exotic leathers. So saying that I'm wrong about the construction methods is BS.  If you ask me the whole stitch down vs GYW thing is completely overblown, but I'm no expert and don't claim to be. I prefer the look of stitch down much more as well, but a shoe being GYW is not going to stop me from buying a pair of boots. The new Lofgren M43 Boondockers look great as GYW boots.
I don't think there's much point in arguing with you because you're not likely to budge and that's fine, we all have our opinions!