Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I don't want to hate and I want to give these guys a shot, but I think I know whats been bothering me about these Sagara boots.

A few things:

- They seem to be using very cheap leather for the soles. I know it doesn't compare to oak tanned stuff from England, but the sole looks like it was made from cardboard.

- The sole edge finishing is very sloppy. If you look at the side profile of the shoe, you can see how uneven it is. Compare that to a moderately priced Alfred Sargent or even a $300 Alden's you can see the difference.

- The video and pictures that showcases the construction, shows the initial pattern being cut by a pair of scissors instead of a clicker's knife. I don't know how they can get smooth curves using a pair of scissors.

- The same pictures and video also shows how sloppy the welt is sewn on to the insole and how little care there is to make the inside as pretty as the outside. The welt itself looks a cheap piece of crap.

- Finally to market these as some kind of high-end bespoke quality shoe is insulting to quality shoemakers now, as well as the history of shoemaking.

For bespoke quality RTW shoes you guys should take a page from Saint Crispin's.

I found a lot of information and many posts on the M43 roughout boots, but not so much on the M42.

So I've been researching the M42 russet service shoes.

Would be great to see worn in ones and hear your opinion on them.

This is a worn pair of the WWII Impressions USMC boots from further down your posts. I thought they looked ok, but they ended up selling for $40.

wwiiimpressionsusmcserviceboots1_zpsb7e632f5.jpg

wwiiimpressionsusmcserviceboots2_zpsffa1f278.jpg

wwiiimpressionsusmcserviceboots4_zpsc3528d3e.jpg

Not my usual style at all, but these are the Grenson Lewis boots in blue suede I mentioned a page or two ago. Was originally planning on getting the sole replaced with a double or triple leather unit but, having just used them as 'evening wear' on holiday, may well keep them as they are as they were suitably lightweight to deal with warm Spanish evenings.

Seriously don't know why anyone from much warmer climes than England would want to wear anything heavyweight ever on their feet (or, for that matter, legs). Makes me glad in a perverse way to come from somewhere that has clearly defined seasons where you get a chance to wear interesting heavier stuff when the weather gets moody:

imag0323k.jpg

Quality of the boots is fair but not outstanding. Totally fit for my purpose, though, and well worth tracking down if they suit your needs as they're widely reduced in the UK at the moment. These were £65 from the Buttery Store's eBay shop instead of the original £230 and even my mother likes them...

Very different people.

http://sagaraindonesia.com/

Even thought the hand construction is pretty impressive, it is still hand construction. Glue attached heel.

Hoggreaser,

I have the AS Montague, which are unfortunately still sitting in the box as I already have too many pairs on the go. I got them at a special price from Sargent though so couldn't resist.

I have wide feet and went true to size, they are fine. Definitely on the dressier side of workwear though and I wouldn't wear thick socks with them. I love these boots and am looking forward to wearing them.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...