Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

snatched these on ebay today, french army boots from the 1940s. after a resoling, these will be nice.

€ 46 total, including shipping to germany from france.

23308648vm.jpg

23308649oi.jpg

@cameosis - great score. be sure to post pics when resoled and cleaned up. 

thanks, will do! payment goes out tomorrow, they should be with me next week.

Anyone had problems with insoles slipping inside boots? Out of no where my insoles start slipping, causing them to sound like a cheap pair of boots with water stuck in them. I even bought new ones, still get it and it's so bad I can't even wear them right now,

Anyone had problems with insoles slipping inside boots? Out of no where my insoles start slipping, causing them to sound like a cheap pair of boots with water stuck in them. I even bought new ones, still get it and it's so bad I can't even wear them right now,

I've had this problem sometimes, but it depends on the insoles. Usually I've had this with wool insoles for winter. Basically if the insoles are stiff and sized properly, they won't slip.

Weird thing is that I have been wearing same insoles for near a year then over two days in started squeaking. So I got a new pair and it's still as bad.

Mpukas whites, and just some insoles I got at Wal-Mart nothing fancy.

Brad - why are you wearing insoles in your White's? 

When I first got mine years ago, I thought I needed insoles and tried several brands/types/styles, and all of them sucked in my boots. I finally realized I didn't need anything and they're fine without. 

If you want a different surface to have your foot on, are you using just a plain, flat insole, like a Spenco foam job, Tacco leather, etc? 

Dumb question - are you sure it's the insoles? Do the boots squeak without the insoles? I assume you've narrowed the problem down, just asking. 

If it's squeaking, it's moving, and the goal is to stop the movement/shifting. White's have such a strong, contoured arch built in that it may be challenging to get a footbed to stay put. 

Perhaps try some light adhesive to keep the insole in place, that won't leave any residue on the leather if/when you have to take it out? Maybe try cleaning the inside surface of the boot's insole to remove any slickness/build-up? 

Somewhat similarly, Brad, my Vivobarefoot Porto boots have developed a nasty squeak on the right heel. It's due to the glue failing at the rubber outsole. It's come unglued at the heel and ball of each foot. Vivo is in the process of evaluating the condition to determine if it's a warranty issue or not.

I like the boots a lot, as they're about the only option anywhere for a flat, foot-shaped, minimalist boot leather boot. but just gluing on a rubber out-sole is guaranteed to fail. The leather insert on the sole is just plain stupid. I've worn these pretty hard, but always clean them up. I don't think they were intended for the outdoor use I put them through. I may just get them resoled myself with a Vibram Newporter sole and see how that goes. 

Still, they ain't as pretty as a proper pair of White's, Wesco's or Nick's, or especially Coleslawyum's Toys... if I ever get a pair of "normal" boots again, it'll be a pair of Toy's. 

20150923_145948_zpsdrnm4df9.jpg

20150923_131307_zpsxwnokk3s.jpg

20150923_131257_zpsknse631k.jpg

20150923_131245_zps9shl2n30.jpg

mulling over sole options for when i finally order some white's. i work on smooth polished concrete floors and do a lot of walking, so i thought a vibram 2021, but also have to work occasionally on wet floors and i'm afraid they might not have enough slip resistance. would a cuban heel boot still be ok for 8 hour days with a lot of walking and if so, anyone know if the vibram 700, or 430 are slip resistant or if there's any other sole out there i could use?

Well not sure if I mean insoles or not, but just a slip in cushion for them. They came with nothing, so wearing them without any is not very comfortable as it's like walking on stiff leather.

Yeah, I thought it might somehow be the boots, but I can physically feel the insole slipping in my boot. I will take your advice on some adhesive, maybe there is some low level spray adhesive I can use and just put it on the spot where I can feel it slipping.

^ On boots that has some kind of built-in foot support [eg, White's], I usually buy flat leather insoles that serve as a footbed [liner]__ like "Tacco". Always get the bigger size & cut them down to exact insole length ... that way, they won't move.

mulling over sole options for when i finally order some white's. i work on smooth polished concrete floors and do a lot of walking, so i thought a vibram 2021, but also have to work occasionally on wet floors and i'm afraid they might not have enough slip resistance. would a cuban heel boot still be ok for 8 hour days with a lot of walking and if so, anyone know if the vibram 700, or 430 are slip resistant or if there's any other sole out there i could use?

Both are slip resistant__ 700 is more durable cuz it's composite, while 430 is rubber.

Too bad White's don't offer Goodyear Commandos w/c are also composite__ from personal experience, they are even longer-lasting than the 700s cuz the sole grips elevate the bottom sole stitching. My oldest commandos are over 5y/o & not a single broken stitch @bottom. Here's to compare wear:

GoodYear Commando: Composite :: Trickers @5yrs+, Viberg @2yrs+, Viberg NEW

9AAA387B-4C71-406D-9BB5-2AE2D56E3EEF.jpg

Vibram 705: Composite Half-soles :: White's SD__ less than 2yrs effective wear

1yrSDHHxBison.jpg

Cat's Paw on LoneWolf: Rubber__ like on the 430 :: less than a year of effective wear.

046B65D9-21DD-4C45-AA90-0C63059F01E2.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Insole issue has seemed to fix itself somehow. Working in the rain all day seemed to correct that problem somehow. But starting a new job towards end of month, and going to get a new pair of boots for it. Found out its $425 to get steel toes added to boots, so just going to replace them. Looking at nicks ridgeline style boot, or a packer from viberg or whites. But heavily leaning towards nicks at the moment.

what's the difference in turnaround time with nicks compared to white's? since that seems to be pretty much the only difference between their boots, besides the slightly different way the heel counter overlaps the upper.

speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole. the way the insole and shank form to your foot is how you get all that support. you just have to give it some time. seems like using an insert would affect the way the insole molds to your foot and even make the process take longer.

love the way the insoles look now

redwing31401.jpg

Edited by Rob060

speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole.

Looks beautiful indeed. The possibility to form is limited though and it will never form in a shape with decent arch support. Just comparing my Postman and Beckman models: I can't imagine wearing the latter without an insole or padded socks, the insole is just too flat even after a year.

My whites come stock with nothing, just the foot bed, so walking around with nothing isn't an option. I should invest in a leather one like the tacco one.

But turn around for whites is a month right now, and nicks has boots that they have stocked. Sho just waiting to hear back from them I'd they have what I want in stock.

I've somewhat eased back from the days of Nick's vs. White's and came to the conclusion that White's are both more aesthetically pleasing to me (not as chunky), and are durable enough/have enough quality control for how I use them (city pavement stomping). I don't doubt that Nick's make a more durable boot with better QC, but for me, White's serve my intended purpose. 

I've somewhat eased back from the days of Nick's vs. White's and came to the conclusion that White's are both more aesthetically pleasing to me (not as chunky), and are durable enough/have enough quality control for how I use them (city pavement stomping). I don't doubt that Nick's make a more durable boot with better QC, but for me, White's serve my intended purpose.

Unless it's a major flaw I couldn't see it affecting the boot. I have a few wonky stitches on my boot and absolutely nothing has come from it. They're work boots, not fashion boots like vibergs.

But I am going to stay with whites as Nicks turnaround time after mailing in measurements will just take way to long. So I am thinking of going with the packer as it looks to fit similar to my lone wolf farmer. I also feel like there is a lot of room around my toes in my SJ.

Unless it's a major flaw I couldn't see it affecting the boot. I have a few wonky stitches on my boot and absolutely nothing has come from it. They're work boots, not fashion boots like vibergs.

my thoughts exactly. the priorities with work boots are durability, not flawless looks, because they're functional clothing / shoes.

which is ironic in a certain way, because a number of hipsters go crazy over minute details with contemporary releases or "reinterpretations" that are workboots only by looks from a distance, yet these fashion items are supposed to provide authenticity to the wearer ... when in fact all these small flaws would do just that.

then again, many wear this type of boots without ever having had to do physical labor. :D

Edited by cameosis

.... speaking about insoles though, my red wings have just a leather insole and the way it's shaped to my foot over time is the reason i can walk around in them 8 hours a day and feel good afterwards, and i've never used a supplemental insole. the way the insole and shank form to your foot is how you get all that support. you just have to give it some time. seems like using an insert would affect the way the insole molds to your foot and even make the process take longer.

love the way the insoles look now

redwing31401.jpg

True__ to some extent.

But, based on personal experience, sometimes there are issues, either w/ the construction of the shoes/boots or the foot itself [=( not compatible], that necessitate insole usage ... Sometimes, just temporarily, like "training wheels".

Example 1: I have E-EE width w/ prolly between C-D @heel. Viberg has generous heel cup on 110 & even 2005, so I get the dreaded heel slippage. I use "Superfeet" half-insoles to keep heels in place through the break in process. Once the ball of foot makes permanent impression on the footbed__ literally, to get a foothold, the "training" insole goes away.

Example 2: On my Dayton Driver & WL, the footbeds are austere & rigid, that I can Braille-trace the insole surface [hidden sole stitches, nails, & all] when walking :( ... So, I line them w/something leather & flat, like "Tacco" leather insoles or whatever ...

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...