Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Awesome! Where did you get the old ones?

Hi. Found in a secondhand market a few years ago. Here's another photograph where you can appreciate the difference in lasts and also the Coniston stormwelt vs the older model classic welt:

img_8713.jpg

And below two different models of Lotus Veldtschoen boots, both made with Martin's Zug leather:

The first one from the 50's:

img_2610.jpg

The second one, from the 40's:

img_2914.jpg

Edited by tamyom

^ SF has a thread devoted to Artisinal creations. Fab boots__ expensive, tho__ mostly north of 800 mark. Had an Augusta Horsehide a few years back, but realized I just don't have the lifestyle nor wardrobe to pursue & support such [trend].

http://www.styleforum.net/t/248835/the-official-artisanal-streetwear-footwear-boots-shoes-sandals-thread-guidi-ccp-augusta-m-a-m-moria-carpe-diem-etc

Edited by BrownMetallic

Sorely tempted! I'd be looking at a 43, I think, some possibility of a size or so larger through pre-orders but I'm not certain. 

Two principle retailers are essence-web and mindtrive

Glad you like them. If you're interested, a few other Japanese brands to have a look at are Devoa (from designer Daisuke Nishida), WJK (founded by Jun Hasimoto before his leaving to start up under his own name) and Lien.

You could say with some truth that their footwear at least is inspired by the original, Carpe Diem, in turn which gave way to the other artisanal Italian creations from M_Moira (Maurizio Altieri, founder of CD), MA+ (Maurizio Amadei) Augusta/A1923 (Simone Cecchetto - formerly of CD), Guidi and Layer-0 (Alessio Zero) to name a few.

There's others of course, loads of info on the net. But of little interest here..!  :D

edit - small correction to differentiate between Maurizio Altieri and Maurizio Amadei. Oops. That'd get me stoned!

Hey hog, beautiful KKA boots, too bad they don't make them for bigger feet! I'm glad to see you mention "The Italians" here, because I think there is some overlap in aesthetic that is worth thinking about. They tend to experiment with leather treatments and different leathers more, which is really interesting to me (my a1923 black kudu backzip boots are heavy, extremely well-made, and completely badass), but they do drift into a more "ethereal" aesthetic from time to time as well. 

As BrownMetallic mentioned, the lifestyle can be different, but I have a number of "baller" boots that wear really well with my Stevenson, Strike Gold,  and Iron Heart jeans and my seemingly endless supply (per my s.o.) of IH shirts.

Included here for yucks is a picture of my (newer) m_moriabc black shell cordovan workboot (all of his boots are shell, which might in part explain the recent "scarcity" of shell that Alden et al. talk about) next to my (older) Alden black shell workbook. Gotta say I'm much more attracted to the  m_moriabc boot. And dude uses wooden fucking nails in the soles. Can't even fathom.

To get completely caught up in one or the other seems limited to me.

IMG_3331.jpg

These are pretty badass.  I've always admired them from a distance, but don't think I am quite cool enough to pull them off...  Plus, a little too much heel for me. But really cool nevertheless.

Remind me what TOW boots are..?

Evo Update: Dayton "Milkman" Driver 5y/o+ :: I know steeze is not for every1 :: Corded Biltrite Neoprene soles & heels :: Recently got its very 1st re-heel__ too bad cudnt find Biltrites to replace.

0275431A-5DB7-4DD0-8BB4-AD5E89992F0E.jpg

The Drivers & TOWs are like hard-wearing, hardcore PunkSoleBrothers__ they give my other boots the stiff middle finger :)

• 2 weeks later...

snatched these on ebay today, french army boots from the 1940s. after a resoling, these will be nice.

€ 46 total, including shipping to germany from france.

23308648vm.jpg

23308649oi.jpg

@cameosis - great score. be sure to post pics when resoled and cleaned up. 

thanks, will do! payment goes out tomorrow, they should be with me next week.

Anyone had problems with insoles slipping inside boots? Out of no where my insoles start slipping, causing them to sound like a cheap pair of boots with water stuck in them. I even bought new ones, still get it and it's so bad I can't even wear them right now,

Anyone had problems with insoles slipping inside boots? Out of no where my insoles start slipping, causing them to sound like a cheap pair of boots with water stuck in them. I even bought new ones, still get it and it's so bad I can't even wear them right now,

I've had this problem sometimes, but it depends on the insoles. Usually I've had this with wool insoles for winter. Basically if the insoles are stiff and sized properly, they won't slip.

Weird thing is that I have been wearing same insoles for near a year then over two days in started squeaking. So I got a new pair and it's still as bad.

Mpukas whites, and just some insoles I got at Wal-Mart nothing fancy.

Brad - why are you wearing insoles in your White's? 

When I first got mine years ago, I thought I needed insoles and tried several brands/types/styles, and all of them sucked in my boots. I finally realized I didn't need anything and they're fine without. 

If you want a different surface to have your foot on, are you using just a plain, flat insole, like a Spenco foam job, Tacco leather, etc? 

Dumb question - are you sure it's the insoles? Do the boots squeak without the insoles? I assume you've narrowed the problem down, just asking. 

If it's squeaking, it's moving, and the goal is to stop the movement/shifting. White's have such a strong, contoured arch built in that it may be challenging to get a footbed to stay put. 

Perhaps try some light adhesive to keep the insole in place, that won't leave any residue on the leather if/when you have to take it out? Maybe try cleaning the inside surface of the boot's insole to remove any slickness/build-up? 

Somewhat similarly, Brad, my Vivobarefoot Porto boots have developed a nasty squeak on the right heel. It's due to the glue failing at the rubber outsole. It's come unglued at the heel and ball of each foot. Vivo is in the process of evaluating the condition to determine if it's a warranty issue or not.

I like the boots a lot, as they're about the only option anywhere for a flat, foot-shaped, minimalist boot leather boot. but just gluing on a rubber out-sole is guaranteed to fail. The leather insert on the sole is just plain stupid. I've worn these pretty hard, but always clean them up. I don't think they were intended for the outdoor use I put them through. I may just get them resoled myself with a Vibram Newporter sole and see how that goes. 

Still, they ain't as pretty as a proper pair of White's, Wesco's or Nick's, or especially Coleslawyum's Toys... if I ever get a pair of "normal" boots again, it'll be a pair of Toy's. 

20150923_145948_zpsdrnm4df9.jpg

20150923_131307_zpsxwnokk3s.jpg

20150923_131257_zpsknse631k.jpg

20150923_131245_zps9shl2n30.jpg

mulling over sole options for when i finally order some white's. i work on smooth polished concrete floors and do a lot of walking, so i thought a vibram 2021, but also have to work occasionally on wet floors and i'm afraid they might not have enough slip resistance. would a cuban heel boot still be ok for 8 hour days with a lot of walking and if so, anyone know if the vibram 700, or 430 are slip resistant or if there's any other sole out there i could use?

Well not sure if I mean insoles or not, but just a slip in cushion for them. They came with nothing, so wearing them without any is not very comfortable as it's like walking on stiff leather.

Yeah, I thought it might somehow be the boots, but I can physically feel the insole slipping in my boot. I will take your advice on some adhesive, maybe there is some low level spray adhesive I can use and just put it on the spot where I can feel it slipping.

^ On boots that has some kind of built-in foot support [eg, White's], I usually buy flat leather insoles that serve as a footbed [liner]__ like "Tacco". Always get the bigger size & cut them down to exact insole length ... that way, they won't move.

mulling over sole options for when i finally order some white's. i work on smooth polished concrete floors and do a lot of walking, so i thought a vibram 2021, but also have to work occasionally on wet floors and i'm afraid they might not have enough slip resistance. would a cuban heel boot still be ok for 8 hour days with a lot of walking and if so, anyone know if the vibram 700, or 430 are slip resistant or if there's any other sole out there i could use?

Both are slip resistant__ 700 is more durable cuz it's composite, while 430 is rubber.

Too bad White's don't offer Goodyear Commandos w/c are also composite__ from personal experience, they are even longer-lasting than the 700s cuz the sole grips elevate the bottom sole stitching. My oldest commandos are over 5y/o & not a single broken stitch @bottom. Here's to compare wear:

GoodYear Commando: Composite :: Trickers @5yrs+, Viberg @2yrs+, Viberg NEW

9AAA387B-4C71-406D-9BB5-2AE2D56E3EEF.jpg

Vibram 705: Composite Half-soles :: White's SD__ less than 2yrs effective wear

1yrSDHHxBison.jpg

Cat's Paw on LoneWolf: Rubber__ like on the 430 :: less than a year of effective wear.

046B65D9-21DD-4C45-AA90-0C63059F01E2.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...