Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I'm not sure if this is up anyone's alley, but in my search for a low or zero drop work boot, I finally found something that may be well made AND functional. I'd love to hear anyone's impressions if they have any experience with these or any other foot shaped/zero drop boot or shoe.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/minimalist-footwear-custom-made/

They have a few different styles.

I've never had russell mocs, and I still worry the toe box would be too narrow, but who knows.

@SJ - I'm really into Russell, for many reason including the same reasons you found them. I've heard of nothing but top-notch things. When it comes to hand-sewn moccasin style boots, they are in a league of their own. I'm planning on having them build at least two pairs of boots for me with some custom leather that I'll acquire myself and send to them. Zero drop, Munson last. Just waiting on some funding... then a 4+ month wait. They've done a lot of really nice custom work for the Japanese market - check out my Pinterest

@ed - look at their website; they have a form. Or call them. They are slammed so it may take some time to get response. 

Current Boot Rotation ... sorry for the iPhone quality. Will better pix once I find the cam batt😬

505A0C7C-E3E0-4583-801B-248908184A96.jpg

Tricker's Allan + Malton

Viberg ServiceBoots + DerbyShoes

Update: Styleforum x Viberg GMTO Pre-Sale for the HOPPER is UP!!!

http://www.styleforummarket.com/the-hopper-boot-preorder-viberg-for-styleforum-shipping-worldwide-included/

Edited by BrownMetallic

At the risk of sounding like Seinfeld - what's the deal crepe soles? I never really understood the appeal, especially on desert boots, funny enough.

They are heavy and very slippery in wet conditions - both I think are pretty big drawbacks. So what am I missing, thoughts? because obviously they are a popular choice.

At the risk of sounding like Seinfeld - what's the deal crepe soles? I never really understood the appeal, especially on desert boots, funny enough.

They are heavy and very slippery in wet conditions - both I think are pretty big drawbacks. So what am I missing, thoughts? because obviously they are a popular choice.

Comfort! Love crepe soles.

Comfort! Love crepe soles.

This. Personally, I injured my toes in kickboxing some years ago, and have arthritis in a few of those toes, and the crepe soles on my RW 875s give enough cushion to prevent any pain in my toes. I can't say the same thing about thinner soles.

I'd imagine crepe soles are better for your lower back than heels too; maybe someone has experience with that.

I think wearing a pair of casual boots that have crepe soles along with a relatively soft chromexcel upper may have worsened an existing problem with my foot positioning while walking, causing me to put lots of pressure on the outside of my feet as the leather and sole together sort of give inwards as I walk. I can definitely notice a difference in my walking style now that I've switched back to wearing work boots and sneakers, and have a lot of pressure built up in my heel and ankle that wasn't there before. I can't say if this is a problem with crepe soles specifically, but at least for me the fact that the soles wore away rapidly and unevenly was a factor, especially as I wore those specific boots almost daily for around six months in which the problem began.

That being said, the crepe sole itself is awesome, so comfortable and tactile, and very grippy in dry environments, while retaining similar aesthetic value to less versatile options. I would still recommend trying at least one pair of crepe-soled shoes; even if they don't get worn frequently there are some days in which they become the obvious choice.

^ 👌ðŸ½Fab 'BERGs! Still need to get my paws on some 'boons ... maybe after the Hopper👊ðŸ¼

@foxy2 ➕ @gnomes__ tnx peeps! 1st I noticed they were darkening a bit, I was ... 😱Nooooo!!!! Cuz I really liked the [initial] spanking light steeze, like on a CXL. 'Thought I did something wrong, but in time, I kinda grew into it.

All part of the [evo] game__ dark denim fades, light shade leather darkens

â¬‡ï¸ @edmond__ CXL should be @round 720

Edited by BrownMetallic

Ed - they were just under HKD 5000 at Benny's Store, with T5 discount. Couldn't pass on them at that price.

BM - Cheers! The Hopper engineer is going to be a stellar boot. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Mosdef post once on-hand, but that'd be prolly late fall, if no issues

Btw, HKD 5000 is definite a BUY!!!

Congrats!

Edited by BrownMetallic

Trashed my Vivobarefoot Porto desert boots being on the Colorado River Ranch for the World Youth Fly Fishing Championships for three days walking through mud, dust, dirt, brush, thistle, etc. Overall I they held up fairly well, but they're not built or intended for this kind of use. The rubber outsole is coming unglued from the leather mid-sole where they bend at the ball of my foot. 

Due for a good cleaning and conditioning now. 

20150813_113721_zpsmu0ebbhz.jpg

20150814_105321_zpsvqx5yo3v.jpg

Vivobarefoot_Port0-Brown_2015-08-14_01_z

Vivobarefoot_Port0-Brown_2015-08-14_02_z

Vivobarefoot_Port0-Brown_2015-08-14_03_z

20150815_143143_zpsudbtaeqg.jpg

Impressive boots on this page!

This. Personally, I injured my toes in kickboxing some years ago, and have arthritis in a few of those toes, and the crepe soles on my RW 875s give enough cushion to prevent any pain in my toes. I can't say the same thing about thinner soles.

I'd imagine crepe soles are better for your lower back than heels too; maybe someone has experience with that.

The same here or similar at least, I've got arthritis too, both my ankles.

I used to wear sneakers and lower quality shoes. It used to hurt after walking 30 to 60 minutes even when constantly wearing orthopedic soles. Now I mostly wear Redwings (877 for the past 8 months and 8113 recently) and most of the symptoms are gone. I went through winter with a pair of 877 in Montreal, walked hours in the sloppy streets of SF and my ankles were quite alright.

Pros and cons confirmed: comfy and seems to give cushion. But they wear out fast and are quite slippery on ice.

Here are the 877s:

20444290419_4d05e54d22_z.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...