Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Nah, need something different. They have been less then stellar from me. They're practically slicks and I haven't even had them for a year. But may be the name of the game since I wear my boots 5 days a week pretty hard.

might want to look into the vibram 100.  its a chunkier version of the middle portion of the 430.  

Ill add that I dont think the 430 is intended for heavy duty work.  Its more of a light duty, even casual sole.  I know guys who have to get their boots resoled every 7-8 months so getting a year out of yours might actually be ok.  I know you are hard on your stuff though, haha

Edited by garden gnomes in space

might want to look into the vibram 100.  its a chunkier version of the middle portion of the 430.  

Ill add that I dont think the 430 is intended for heavy duty work.  Its more of a light duty, even casual sole.  I know guys who have to get their boots resoled every 7-8 months so getting a year out of yours might actually be ok.  I know you are hard on your stuff though, haha

I was thinking that, but I thought it just looked over kill and too heavy. Since these are my first pair of good quality boots I wasn't too sure to be honest. But to hear others are around the same time as me does make me feel a bit better. 

Regarding the soles, I was going back and forth initially, but Kyle said the 430 would be good for the weather/work I was in.

Is there any other soles out there that are worth a look at that I could get down through Whites or do they just do Vibram? Only really interested in sending them back there so I can get them nice and cleaned up as well, unless others offer that service with re soling. 

Pretty overcast today, so not the best pictures.

d50mlRh.jpg

Such a shame, they were so nice when I first got them.

ZV62BJD.jpgGSFmNuD.jpgGCE0L1T.jpgE2qNEzI.jpgI4VTN8T.jpg?1

Edited by bradl

Yeah I hope so. Not sure if the vamp is even going to be able to be cleaned up at this point. Been scrubbed with xylene so many times, I am sure the leather has suffered greatly from it.

bradl you may want to have White's re-craft them. The shafts look pretty good still, or at least like they could be used for another season or so, and the re-craft takes care of a resole and new vamps and heel counters.

They may even have a suggestion for a leather option that can take the beating you are going to give them with a better ability to shine up after abuse.

Yeah I think I would like to do it all in one go, instead of 7 months down the road have to do some other small item. Kyle adviced me on the black smooth leather as being the toughest, which I agree it is tough, but doesn't keep very well. But I think it looks pretty bad since I had to scrub it with xylene which had to have dried it out fairly nice.

Excuse my ignorance but with a resole it will also come with new mid soles?

Here's to hoping it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I'm not certain a resole f/ White's will include a new midsole, but I'll guess and say that it does. It prolly includes everything from the welt /stitch-down down. 

@Ray I think you're price is high. When I had Whites quote me last year to resole my SJ's, before I decided to have them completely rebuilt, it was around $160-$170 -ish. My complete rebuild w/ decorative toe cap was about $365. I could be wrong, and maybe their prices went up... 

I talked to Kyle at Baker's a few months ago, and he told me they can do the same resole job as White's, Nick's, Wesco, etc. for about the same price. Check out their Instagram for pics of their work. 

It should. I believe the resole takes everything off except for the uppers and replaces the sole portion entirely. Last I checked it was pricey, like nearly $300.

Man, that's just a little too much right now, considering I just got them. I will just wear them to pieces and go for a resole.

I'm not certain a resole f/ White's will include a new midsole, but I'll guess and say that it does. It prolly includes everything from the welt /stitch-down down. 

@Ray I think you're price is high. When I had Whites quote me last year to resole my SJ's, before I decided to have them completely rebuilt, it was around $160-$170 -ish. My complete rebuild w/ decorative toe cap was about $365. I could be wrong, and maybe their prices went up... 

I talked to Kyle at Baker's a few months ago, and he told me they can do the same resole job as White's, Nick's, Wesco, etc. for about the same price. Check out their Instagram for pics of their work. 

I'm wondering if ray was referring to the re-build as opposed to the resole? I was thinking of bakers as well, as they seem to have more options sole wise. Going to shoot him an email and see what he has to say, and ask if they do a cleaning as well.

BEFORE:DA847F76-FF63-43B8-BDBB-25A3FF210A01_zps

AFTER: 

A9F84C54-41F8-4AC8-8271-10A451F8DAE2_zps

suede looks and feels a lot nicer after a couple of wears (idk how that scuff on the midsole happened but it looks dope af)

Those New Balances though..... :)

What model are they?

Edited by BigBandzMisha

All these talk about re-soling prodded me to snap a couple of shots of my commandos.

Reason why I don't think much about [it] ... Trickers Matrons= 5yrs; Vibergs= 2yrs & unworn [from the NYC sample sale] :: Maltons need a re-heel & Loden Green boots re-heeled last week__ both commando sole stitches holding out valiantly ... not even a single stitch breakage

3B61CA90-16CF-48B8-8683-50A941C5074F.jpg

9AAA387B-4C71-406D-9BB5-2AE2D56E3EEF.jpg

RedBrick Dainite on Trickers Allan @1yr= approx no more than 3mos of wear__ stitches @sides & tips already wearing in.

E7037DD5-F5B8-4274-B00F-EDC7A084C36C.jpg

Profile-wise: Commando vs Dainite__ similar, side by side, cuz the commando raised grips are indented from sole edge.

AllanMALT.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...