Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have tested different products.

red wing boot oil, Obenaufs heavy duty LP, Mustang paste and red wing mink oil.

They are not freshly oiled on the pictures above. They are completely dry. Just buffed a bit with a nylon sock my wife was going to throw away.

Going to get Venetian shoe cream next I think. Have heard good things about it.

I have a ton of different leather care products lying around, too, and in my experience there's not much difference in the end result (cared for, not-dry leather with some water repellent properties). Mustang paste won't waterproof AFAIK but will feed leather the most, it's especially great for really dryed-out leather. Mink oil will darken permanently to some degree.

I still like simple beeswax-based leather care the best, probably just because it smells best in my opinion ^^ Slap on a thin coat, take off excess, let dry, buff up, voila.

Edited by Cucoo

QsDNZf9l.jpg

They're by Sendra, handmade in Spain...

Looking good Cucoo! I have a pair of Sendra cowboy boots that I picked up a few years ago, and love them. They are one of the boots that all others I look at are judged against. Your harness boots certainly are very unique and well executed. 

@Cucoo, I was planning on posting these boots a while ago, but was lazy. Since you said you looking for western boots, you gave me the inspiration to do so. 

The GF and I were in Austin, TX (Broak's current home-town) at the end of October for the F1 Grand Prix a The Circuit of the Americas track (F'g great time, 3rd year in a row, and already looking forward to next year). Cruzing around shops on South Congress, I stumbled into a shop called Texas National Outfitters. Really Western/Cowboy stuff, most of which doesn't appeal to me... but then I spied these beauties! 

Rios of Mercedes Buffalo Runner cowboy boots. Designed by the owner of the shop, all hand built by Rios, in Mercedes, TX. Beautiful boots, clean and understated. Fit was superb, but they didn't have my size, otherwise I would own a pair. NOTE: They run small. My foot measures an 8 1/2E, and I usually wear a size 9D or 8.5EE. I couldn't get my foot into a 9 in the Buffalo Runner; a 10.5 was a nice fit, comfy without being roomy, and just the right amount of heel slip. The only problem I had was they were pretty long. I really wanted to try on a 10, but they only had limited sizes. 

http://t-n-o.co/products/buffalo-runner-premium-cowboy-boots-rios-of-mercedes

IMG_0936_1024x1024.JPG?v=1393033869

You can watch a tour of the factory and see how they're boots are made. Truly all hand made. All denim nerds will appreciate what goes into these boots. Every time I look at these boots I drool and wish I had bought a pair on the spot... next year! (or maybe mail order... ;-) ) 

(part 3 didn't load... follow clicky) 

Edited by mpukas

Hot damn, yes, that's a wonderful boot. Bookmarked that shop :) The wife and I are planning our next US vacation anyways (after the Old South last year we'll be going west this time, starting in Texas), so I'll put them on the list of brands to check out.

Exactly this understated look is what I'm talking about, it's way more compatible with everyday wear.

@Hoggy

What do you think about the Redwing Munson Ranger 8012? Looks like Redwing did a run for Yurp, and they're all over Rakuten. 

Red-Wing-Shoe-Stores-Exclusively-Introdu

I wasn't aware of the Munson last until I read you talking about it so much. Now I'm intrigued. My foot isn't blocky, and only wide at the 6th toe area, but I generally like wide sized shoes. I'm very much a proponent of shoes that let my feet do what they need to do naturally, without constriction. My training shoes are Inov-8 and Strike Movement, both based on bare foot shoe principals. 

The 8012 interests me because it's still a work boot, but the Munson last lets the feet move naturally. Not really a fan of the toe buldge on RW's tho...  Thanks for the never ending eye-opening info. Cheers! mpp

Fella's, while I've got your ears... what's the general opinion about the quality of three major mid-range North American shoe makers - Chippewa (Originals), Redwing (Heritage), and Wolverine (1000 Mile) (yes I know there are many others too). Not really interested in their work boot lines... What I see most written is Chippewa is at the bottom, and Redwing and Wolverine tend to be regarded as better boots. There are certain aspects of all three that appeal to me, and certain aspects that don't. I don't like RW's toe buldge; I don't like RW's and Chip's synthetic soles. I really like the look of Chip's 1901 service boot. I think Chip tends to cut some corners and use cheaper leathers; and some lines are made in China, but those don't count. There are just not enough things about the 1000 Mile boots that ever got me interested enough to get a pair. 

Synthetic soles, IMO, are the first place a boot maker is going to cut costs. A material like Texon on the Chip's is much less expensive than full leather with a rubber outsole. Getting a pair of their boots properly resoled is more expensive than the actual cost of the boot itself (Brian is currently resoling a pair for me now - can't wait!!!) 

Love to hear some thoughts, and insights as to how they're made, leathers, over quality, etc. Thanks fella's. mpp

What about these jobs? 

(can't copy pic link to post) 

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusarmyrusset.html

or these - 1904 Marching Shoe? 

(again can't copy pic link)

http://www.civilwarboots.com/store_century_turns.asp

If you are looking for western style boots you cannot go wrong with Hondo. They are also made in Texas.

There's a couple nice boots there, but nothing I really love, at first sight. I think what I'm looking for isn't a "real" Texan western boot, it's more like a European interpretation of that? By that I mean, my ideal cowboy boot would look like a boot version of this one (that I already have):

Sendra%C2%A01692-CUERVO-460x379.jpg

Sadly Sendra doesn't make that right now, all their full boots have stitching or other decorations:

Sendra%C2%A02073-CUERVO1-460x426.jpg

That's also a nice boot, but I like the cleaner look better. I also like the extremely pointy toes and cuban heels. Especially the latter isn't all that prominent among real US cowboy boots, as it seems. Maybe really more of a Spanish-speaking-people thing, since Sendra is a Spanish company ;)

LL Bean's current Katahdin Iron Works Plain Engineer Boot, plain toe is described as having a classic Munson last. But from what little I know, these certainly don't like like their built on a Munson. 

As one reviewer put it, these are basically the Chippewa 1901 6" service boot, but some skimping to drop the price. Regardless I think these are a great looking boot. 

@Hogggreaser, that Danner Ocont boot is great looking indeed. 

I've never been a fan of Danner; had a pair of work botos when I was in my late teens and did a lot of construction work in cold weather. They were really well made boots, but I HATED the blocky heel design they use then and now sometimes. Made it so difficult to walk in, and that extra big heel hanging off the back got hung up often. Some of their newer models show promise, like this Williams

I don't get why so many great American boot makers make special lines for Japan and Europe, but don't offer them on their own home turf. Much of what they offer for their own kin is ugly as sin. Do they think Americans don't like their best looking boots and shoes? What really cracks me up about this is they all tout the "Proudly made in America" badge of honor, yet they ship their best products over seas. 

Hi mpp, thanks, I don't think many people take notice of my ramblings...

I'm in the pub posting from my phone, sorry can't link as normal ...

Anyway, I am a committed fan of the munson last and use its qualities as a yardstick against which I compare any footwear i look at.. anatomical correctness e.g. medial metatarsal inflare etc

If you're interested, you might want to download a copy of Edward Munsons book, 'the soldiers foot and the military shoe'. if i've linked it right, you can get copy here;

https://archive.org/details/soldiersfootmili00munsrich

Well worth reading.

I've seen the RW 8011 and 8012, but only in D width, really I'd be looking at E or possibly EE.

One thing to consider regarding the Munson, having been developed under taxpayer dollars it's in the public domain meaning its open to reproduction. You can even buy a pair of lasts, the better come from J&V in the US. I've tried Buzz Ricksons and wasn't convinced they got it right, I've also had the MASH version which was pretty similar yet neither really fit as my current munson boots in the same size.

One drawback of the last is the high inside cone and wide island and cuboid, it doesnt work well on low shoes. Designed for boots that lace tight, and for accomdating heavy load!

HH Brown (Corcoran) still use it now for custom builds e.g. Wwii impressions and doursoux. They have it numbered though, the 975.

Cheers

Fucking hell. That was from the pub?

@Hogggreaser, that Danner Ocont boot is great looking indeed. 

I've never been a fan of Danner; had a pair of work botos when I was in my late teens and did a lot of construction work in cold weather. They were really well made boots, but I HATED the blocky heel design they use then and now sometimes. Made it so difficult to walk in, and that extra big heel hanging off the back got hung up often. Some of their newer models show promise, like this Williams

I don't get why so many great American boot makers make special lines for Japan and Europe, but don't offer them on their own home turf. Much of what they offer for their own kin is ugly as sin. Do they think Americans don't like their best looking boots and shoes? What really cracks me up about this is they all tout the "Proudly made in America" badge of honor, yet they ship their best products over seas. 

I guess it's down to demand...few people in the US are going to pay $400 for a cotton N-1 deck jacket, for example, but those same ones fly off the shelves in Japan.

nice post hoggy, bravo!
I love Tricker's, I only have one pair, a factory second William boot (has a barely visible discolouration of leather on one boot), which I bought for 150k italian lire (the equivalent of 75 eur now) back in 1999. these are the shoes that I always use the most during winter, very comfortable. they were resoled a couple times and they still look really good. here they are

A4D35770-2D47-4BE4-B942-397774A3CC33_zps

I'd love to grab a pair of Tricker Bourton's. in my dreams a pair of these as well
https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/2753/teak-cordovan-toe-cap-allan-boot
too fucking expensive for my pocket right now unfortunately.

Edited by volvo240thebest

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...