Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

^I'm biased of course but I've never spent over $500 for any of my boots (save for my Alden #8's which I wouldn't count), even when custom built...If you know your size you can get White's on ebay, Wesco's on their factory seconds page, or even go to sub lines like Hathorn, etc. 

Custom White's shouldn't go over $450ish unless you're using a rarer leather (ex: horse hide), same story for Nick's although Wesco can shoot up there. Viberg's I honestly haven't owned or researched into, mainly because of the price.

Depending on what you're looking for though there are many options...Any particular style of boot you're interested in?

Honestly, I'd just save up a few more $ and make the investment...A good pair from any of the above will outlast something from a lower tier easy and are rebuildable to boot. Comfort and durability; it's worth the price!

Edited by aho

Update on WWII Impressions Boondockers:

They came, they looked great, they went. The construction was mostly decent, with some spots of glue at the midsole and a couple stitches that didn't take well, but the stitching was straight and that's an improvement. The rough out nap was perfect- not too short or long, and the corded Dr. Sole's looked great. I would have kept them except I should have sized down more so they were just too large. I will to put an order in for the correct size next time they do a run. 

For red wing and chippewa, unless you're going to ebay and getting a used pair, seconds, or aren't very particular about which style you get, it's difficult to find cheaper alternatives. It's not like checking out electronics at best buy then going to amazon. I did however do that with Birkenstocks. Oh well.

I am more of a English boot guy, and I live in Europe, so I can't help on the American brands.. I have bought many shoes second hand on ebay.co.uk and you can get some pretty good deals. I always look on ebay for second hand Trickers of factory seconds. both Trickers and Sanders sell the factory seconds on Ebay and on most cases the faults are barely visible.

So I just skimmed this thread, and it seems everything in here is $500+

There must be boots under that price range that are quality right?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

I had a great experience with my Chippewa engineer boots (really service boots), bought on sale for $65!  There is a pic of them here from a few weeks back, with 13 years of wear on them.  They fit my wide feet well (Munson last), and looked better and better as the years went on.  They were before LL Bean started offering the Chippewa Katahdin boot, but I think that will be the same build as these were.  Now going for maybe $260 or so, sometimes on sale I think.

If Red Wing Iron Rangers fit you (they are oddly narrow and long) they are great looking boots, and seem to hold up well.  Just around $300 but often on sale.  Zappos has free shipping and free returns if you are in the US.  They have no arch support, so may need an insole if that matters to you.

Beautiful boots in the last few pages.

Quick question -- what shoe creams or conditioners do you like for smooth leathers (e.g., Venetian Leather Balm, Bick 4, Obenauf's LP)?

Thanks.

John

I like Venetian Shoe Creme for a fairly light conditioning.  Of course, if you're fighting fires or walking through mud a lot, something heavier is called for...

Yeah I have three pairs. What is your question?

Perfect...I'm just looking for overall impressions.   Mainly how well they hold up to actual usage.   I'll be hunting/hiking in them if I pick them up.   I don't mind paying $600 occasionally for a great pair of boots, but I do mind it if I find out they are shit a year later.   They also claim to be pretty seriously waterproof because of the double vamp...is that an accurate claim?   Comfortable?  Etc...thanks in advance.  

where can you kop that natural cxl pair?

Context...although they aren't cxl.   It's Horween's whiskey cavalier leather.  In person it did seem pretty similar to cxl...they are both pull up leathers...you can find the exact differences in the horween chart.

I had a great experience with my Chippewa engineer boots (really service boots), bought on sale for $65!  There is a pic of them here from a few weeks back, with 13 years of wear on them.  They fit my wide feet well (Munson last), and looked better and better as the years went on.  They were before LL Bean started offering the Chippewa Katahdin boot, but I think that will be the same build as these were.  Now going for maybe $260 or so, sometimes on sale I think.

If Red Wing Iron Rangers fit you (they are oddly narrow and long) they are great looking boots, and seem to hold up well.  Just around $300 but often on sale.  Zappos has free shipping and free returns if you are in the US.  They have no arch support, so may need an insole if that matters to you.

I second the Red Wing Iron Rangers - and try calling the factory store, to see if they have available seconds. I did that in 2009, got a pair of the roughout versions (I believe they call it Hawthorne) for $80. There were three circular dark marks on the leather, spots, each about the size of a pencil eraser, but you can't even see them now. Construction was in all other respects top notch, just those marks on the leather. And they actually fit me better than my Gentleman Traveller's by Red Wing.

I appreciate the great reply's!!

I want to stay under $500 not because I cant afford it (I am cheap though), but because I know I wouldnt appreciate a top quality boot.  It would be like throwing a 16yr old in a $100,000 car.

ill look up some of these brands you all are mentioning. 

So far I like the  WWII Impressions Boondockers & Iron Rangers.

Edited by jilla82

I appreciate the great reply's!!

I want to stay under $500 not because I cant afford it (I am cheap though), but because I know I wouldnt appreciate a top quality boot.  It would be like throwing a 16yr old in a $100,000 car.

ill look up some of these brands you all are mentioning. 

So far I like the  WWII Impressions Boondockers & Iron Rangers.

Right on.  Here are the Chippewas BTW, for $220 as it turns out:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49464?page=mens-katahdin-iron-works-engineer-boots

Pretty sure these are the same as my pre-Katahdin Chippewas, if so a great affordable boot.  The leather looks very flat to begin with, but got darker and smoother as I wore them.  I didn't do any treatment for probably a couple of years and they started getting a very nice natural patina.  Then I treated them once in a while with mink oil.  I would say at about four or five years, wearing them several days a week, they looked just about perfect.  Had them re-heeled twice, and got a good ten yeas of wear before the leather started splitting and I finally put them into retirement.

With regard to Iron Rangers, man I think the black harness leather is totally boss.

jilla82, good stuff, I'd recommend the Iron Rangers out of the two personally, they're a classic look, solid build. Just beware the soles are slippery in Chicago winters if you'll be wearing them in the snow/ice (I'm also in Chicago)!

Edited by aho

^ Oh, there are also these new boots from Woolrich, which I've never seen in person but which I think look pretty good for a classic light workboot:

Woolrichboots_zps0a36506a.jpg

I don't know for sure, but suspect they are made by Thorogood.  Currently selling for $300:

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-yankee-buck-boot/_/R-23019?_=1413916875369

^ Oh, there are also these new boots from Woolrich, which I've never seen in person but which I think look pretty good for a classic light workboot:

Woolrichboots_zps0a36506a.jpg

I don't know for sure, but suspect they are made by Thorogood.  Currently selling for $300:

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-yankee-buck-boot/_/R-23019?_=1413916875369

They're $249 through Huckberry: https://huckberry.com/store/woolrich-footwear/category/p/19535-yankee

jilla82, good stuff, I'd recommend the Iron Rangers out of the two personally, they're a classic look, solid build. Just beware the soles are slippery in Chicago winters if you'll be wearing them in the snow/ice (I'm also in Chicago)!

The cap on IR makes it look like you're wearing clown shoes, and seems like it just gets worse with wear IMO

Context...although they aren't cxl.   It's Horween's whiskey cavalier leather.  In person it did seem pretty similar to cxl...they are both pull up leathers...you can find the exact differences in the horween chart.

where are you gonna order them? i hate waiting

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...