Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I spoke to Giles at Iron Heart about getting some Wesco Boss made with the armortred sole, but my wife saw them and she like them so it looks like she'll get the expensive custom made boots and I'll get the cheaper option  :angry:

You don't have to if you like the look as is. There's no hard and fast rules over this, historical reenactment would dictate dubbin, but not fashion. The leather isn't going to fail (or shouldn't!) if you don't, rough out is pretty hard wearing. It's only reversed, so the flesh side is out and the grain in. 

Aries has a pair (Viberg? McCoys?) that are rough out that as I recall he opted against treating with anything, he might comment.

Yours look a nice tidy boot. Been meaning to get some flat waxed red laces for mine - can anyone recommend any please?

Right, dubbing's the thing. Good to know, not gonna do that for now, I like the untreated rough out look. The boots are really nice considering the price, the leather isn't the thickest but construction is sound. They're a nice change from all my cowboy and engineer boots.

Right, dubbing's the thing. Good to know, not gonna do that for now, I like the untreated rough out look. The boots are really nice considering the price, the leather isn't the thickest but construction is sound. They're a nice change from all my cowboy and engineer boots.

Where did you order them? I mean, which ebay seller?

Edited by heinrich BCN

Where did you order them? I mean, which ebay seller?

It's a German "militaria" shop: http://stores.ebay.de/lomaxmilitaria/

Cucoo - just for interests sake here's an old blog on dubbin from a reenactment perspective;

http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/

If... you do, you could do worse than Huberd's Shoe Grease, it's OK stuff. But again I think it's just a matter of preference really.

Maybe I'll give them a coat once they're a bit beat up, we'll see. Thanks for the link!

Edited by Cucoo

Awesome as ever Aho.

To speak to the boondocker/dubbin issue: Hoggreaser is correct, I have both Viberg and The Real McCoys.

I treated the Vibergs, and left TRMs alone.

Here's the Vibergs:

Before:

photo1_zps41736c67.jpg

After:

photo1_zpsb8f106ed.jpg

TRMs:

Untreated:
​photo_zps372dd50b.jpg

An update on my Ducker's chukka boots, must be about 7 years old by now, and onto sole number 6 or 7 I reckon… This time on Itshide commando (Dainite style, quite soft rubber), they might be beyond some people's opinion of 'better with age', but they're still my favourites!

14944035034_6b720a14b7_c.jpg

These are properly falling apart, and the local cobbler put patches inside splits that had opened up on both outsides, as well as 2 more supporting the upper stitching, and in the heels.

15565620742_6995f04944_c.jpg

14944614163_46a32b67df_c.jpg

15541072036_e5a1a1a256_c.jpg

With Resolute 712s:

15541070536_bcbde7858f_c.jpg

I got lucky and found my size available at viberg.com in the 2040 last Service Boot in Oil Tan Mocha Roughout. I love the contrasting eyelets and the roughout is something I've been coveting for a while now. I have some suede Aldens but most of my footwear is shell or smooth leather (calf or CXL).

Color is pretty accurate in the bottom two images.

DSC_4683.jpg

DSC_4689.jpg

DSC_4690.jpg

I am torn about treating them. I love the idea of dubbin (I'd use Obenauf) but the roughout looks fantastic as is. I'm thinking practicality may win out and by applying Obenauf to the roughout, I'd end up with an even more bombproof boot for the winter. Aries' treated Vibergs above is a great advertisement. Treated roughout looks amazing as well!

Edited by patrick_b

Leave it. It looks great. 

Seconded.

Thanks for the feedback guys. You are right, they look so damn good. I'll leave them as is for now. I use the Terrago Nano on my suede shoes. Maybe I'll give them a shot of this stuff. It really does wonders for suede.

Thanks for the feedback guys. You are right, they look so damn good. I'll leave them as is for now. I use the Terrago Nano on my suede shoes. Maybe I'll give them a shot of this stuff. It really does wonders for suede.

How much does the Terrago Nano darken the color of the suede?   I've got some suede Alden's that I'd like to protect, but I love the current color and don't want to darken them...

How much does the Terrago Nano darken the color of the suede?   I've got some suede Alden's that I'd like to protect, but I love the current color and don't want to darken them...

It doesn't darken at all. The set of pictures above were taken after I treated them with Nano spray. I also use it on my tan and snuff Aldens and it doesn't change color at all.

While I'm asking...anybody have any experience with Russell Moccasin's?  I'm considering picking up these:

Talk to Fresco, he's been wearing some Bird Hunters for over a year now and I believe he loves them.

An update on the engineer boots I've been wearing the most. The amount of loot that I paid for these boots doesn't equate to how much I enjoy wearing them. My favorite boots cost me $80. (which I didn't include cause they are at the "shop")

​rw2268.jpg
RED WING 2268 (PT99)
1990's
$160 

chipps.jpg

CHIPPEWA

1960's
$300 

​buco.jpg
BUCO
2010's
Â¥126800

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...