Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Does anybody have any experience doing a resole on desert boots? I'm wondering what I should ask for at the cobbler. Thanks

I can't say that I've had any personal experience, actually the original crepe sole is probably my favorite part of the Desert Boot. I have seen a resole done more than a few times, usually with a Vibram of some sort. It is possible yeah, but probably just as expensive as the shoe itself. If you do it, I'd say go for the ripple sole. Make the process worth the cash.

So, I recently updated my old RW 875's to a nice new pair of Oro Legacy 875's. Absolutely loved the new finish and colour of the leather. Thought id take a permeative strike on the cold and wet british weather and treat them with Obenaufs LP (after lots of forum recommendations).

Now I knew there was a likelihood of the leather darkening  but I didn't realise it would be SO drastic. They barely look like 875's at all now. Pretty gutted by the results (even after a week of letting it all absorb in), so much so that I'm considering selling them and just buying another new pair. 

Anyone have any recommendations on treating/protecting Oro Legacy leather while still retaining the colour?

It can be done though. If you roll back at the beginning of the topic you will find photos of a resoled pair of Clark's desert boots, posted by user Chicken

Edited by volvo240thebest

So, I recently updated my old RW 875's to a nice new pair of Oro Legacy 875's. Absolutely loved the new finish and colour of the leather. Thought id take a permeative strike on the cold and wet british weather and treat them with Obenaufs LP (after lots of forum recommendations).

Now I knew there was a likelihood of the leather darkening  but I didn't realise it would be SO drastic. They barely look like 875's at all now. Pretty gutted by the results (even after a week of letting it all absorb in), so much so that I'm considering selling them and just buying another new pair. 

Anyone have any recommendations on treating/protecting Oro Legacy leather while still retaining the colour?

I've found that while LP darkens leather, it always seemed to lighten up over time. Not sure you'll ever get back to the original, but it's worth a few wears to see how time helps.

I've found that while LP darkens leather, it always seemed to lighten up over time. Not sure you'll ever get back to the original, but it's worth a few wears to see how time helps.

My experience as well. LP is a bit "scary" when 1st applied but it will lighten with wear/use so give the new 875s some time, Mr. Latvia!

Edited by Moonshine

Thanks for the resoling links. 

Regarding Obernauf's LP darkening the leather, my experience with it is that over time it will lighten up a little but not much. My redwind 8138 went from a reddish-cherry-cigar color to mostly brown. I think I posted some photos a few pages back. There's a little red tint, but they really darkened and have kept going with subsequent LP applications.

imo those things look pretty damn ugly.

i did a resole on some clarks with the vibram christy sole, back when the boots were only like $80 and it turned out pretty decently. after getting some red wing heritage work chukkas, though, i'd say save your money and get some of those or some other nicer boot, instead of resoling the clarks. they're a world of difference in terms of quality and they'll hold up a lot better over the years/decades than clarks.

here's how my clarks came out, though. resole was like $50-60, i think. it's been a while.

IMAG0046-2.jpg

Edited by Rob060

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...