Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Hey guys, just joined up as I'm on the hunt for a pair of White's and doing some research.

I saw the title and huge popularity of this thread and wanted to share with y'all some pictures of my m1904 Marching Shoes, bought from whatpriceglory.com

Before:

IMG_4578.jpg

After: (2 years)

120813_Boots-0031.jpg?dl=1120813_Boots-0032.jpg?dl=1

120813_Boots-0035.jpg

Red Wing question... I am very inexperienced & ignorant with leather, so please forgive me...

What color are these boots considered to be? Also are they the type that will become darker with age? I see many photos of boots this color becoming a beautiful deep red color with age.

596460738_tp.jpg596460770_tp.jpg

oro-iginal is their "house" leather that they designed years ago. Its a fine, durable leather that ages well, and is pretty much what you would expect from a Red Wing work boot. Its not fancy or luxurious at all. Im pretty sure it only comes in that lighter brown pictured above, but I am not 100% certain. Like most lighter brown leathers, it will darken with age, sun exposure, getting wet and getting oiled/treated. By how much, I am not certain, I think it depends. here is a google image search of the color: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&gl=us&biw=1280&bih=841&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=red+wing+oro-iginal&oq=red+wing+oro-iginal&gs_l=img.3...11256.16150.0.16765.13.13.0.0.0.0.102.603.12j1.13.0...0.0...1c.dX9mSAdgpcs

Edited by garden gnomes in space

celastic = if you want to keep the shape of the toe ... usually for more bulky toes like work/service boots

no celastic = if you want the vamp to eventually follow the contour/form of your feet more naturally ... preferred [by some] on narrower lasts or width

Edited by BrownMetallic

Hey all...need some help. The Woolrich Woolen Mills line just became available at Context. I'm drawn to this boot, but don't have any experience with WWM's footwear...and my question is if the quality is worth the $600 price (including in store tax)? Anybody have any first hand experience with their footwear? thanks...

197049.jpg

Hey all...need some help. The Woolrich Woolen Mills line just became available at Context. I'm drawn to this boot, but don't have any experience with WWM's footwear...and my question is if the quality is worth the $600 price (including in store tax)? Anybody have any first hand experience with their footwear? thanks...

Made by Sanders for the Mark McNairy line. Quality is fine, going by the (non-Woolrich) ones I've handled.

A lot of places (in the UK, at least) have massive reductions on these kind of boots by Mark McNairy, at the moment. You could save a lot of cash...

Can you point me at some of those places please CTB?

Atoo in Brum have a similar boot in black and I know they've other models reduced that aren't listed on the website - I saw them the other week in there. Superdenim have reductions on bucks; Present London do, too. Some more here but the boots are sold out, and Asos have some stuff left.

A lot of the places seem to have sold out of the boots since I looked - sorry, they weren't in short supply a week or two ago :(

Thanks CTB, I would have picked up the black derby boots if they still had my size.....might pick up some Cheaney brogues that I've had my eye on for a while as my "formal" shoe of choice.

Stoked that lately the "with age" part of the title of this thread is getting love! I have some contributions of my own when I get my head out of my ass and behind my camera's viewfinder.

DSC_9880j.jpg

120813_Boots-0032.jpg?dl=1

tumblr_m8uynqoB321r7m94so2_500.jpg

Edited by dkatz

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...