Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

@AlientoyWorkmachine Interested in where you’ve landed for minimalist trail runners. I don’t have anything like that, these days. I had two pairs of Sportivas a while back that I loved, but when I try and look at the options now they’re all pretty overwhelming, and an easy minimalist option would be nice.

6 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine Interested in where you’ve landed for minimalist trail runners. I don’t have anything like that, these days. I had two pairs of Sportivas a while back that I loved, but when I try and look at the options now they’re all pretty overwhelming, and an easy minimalist option would be nice.

I've worn Merrell trail glove and vapor gloves (or whatever iteration) for over a decade now. They're usually pretty ugly so if I find a black/grey version on sale sometimes I'll buy a few. I run a lot less and lift/bike/row more these days so my current pairs are each going into their fourth year...probably need to replace this year. I've heard complaints about their durability but I'm just not a very big person (145 lbs on a good day) and I have an even enough tread the way I walk and run, so that's never been an issue for me. The trail gloves are perfect for even longer day hikes without much load, to me. They just can get dicey if things are really muddy. The NB minimus would be my second choice probably - but I know there are a lot of options like Altra, Xero, Vivo etc - I just never ventured out because the Merrell's worked nicely for me and nothing actually looked better. 

23 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

a design that has more panels than a Georgian drawing room

Haha! I love this 

They look like something a senior middle class gent would wear in an effort to look sporty casual. A definite no from me. They remind me of a less attractive pair of Campers.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 1/19/2023 at 5:49 PM, Broark said:

These might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think the project seems pretty cool: https://andrewturriff.com/
Small operation making some functional outdoor shoes, I like the style but would prefer the finished product to be monotone as opposed to having multiple leathers.
If you're interested sign up for the newsletter, he doesn't send out too many updates (so it's not spammy at all) but when he does it's detailed and actually informative.

PXL_20221118_123851576.PORTRAIT.jpg?form

Thanks for posting these, I'll keeping an eye out for them.

I think Sachs and his crew should be in something like the above rather than the Nike trainers :laugh:

1.jpg

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Haha! I love this 

They look like something a senior middle class gent would wear in ab effort to look sporty casual. A definite no from me. They remind me of a less attractive pair of Campers.

Lol... now that's a tough feat (accidental pun)

image.png.e5e333499846c595f3bf640f8a1c3187.png

Aren't all outdoor footwear functional (assuming they can be worn) to some extent?  Such a broad statement I'm not even inclined to scratch the surface.  No ten from Len this time.

Edited by MJF9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gave my JK hikers their first thorough wash + condition this past week

Worn these a fair amount and they still feel like they're breaking in—this leather doesn't give easy—but so far I've been really happy with them

First photo is post-wash, pre-conditioning; the rest are after the whole ordeal

X5Xbtw5.jpg

QGkVsqv.jpg

3qP7Pog.jpg

ikQcVBW.jpg

G3z0kQ1.jpg

Well, I just received these XBXS boots in the mail. Fantastic anatomical last, QC is near perfect. I enjoyed their Escape boot model, and asked if it could be made up in Kudu... and here they are!

Do consider this brand for yourself. Very easy to deal with over Instagram. I will be ordering more. 

XBXS boots 1.jpeg

XBXS boots.jpeg

Russell 5547, re-dyed w/ kakishibu

I don't think I've posted much about these, but they're definite favorites. Very comfortable, very easy to wear. More glare in the photos than I'd like, despite no direct sunlight—will probably re-take some time when it's a good bit more overcast.

4bvQpHb.jpg

FcrpKLH.jpg

h4XLhzC.jpg

qGlbguU.jpg

cQPCMRZ.jpg

4Moj0v5.jpg

sCaHDbb.jpg

3c4euTY.jpg

ycZnFmr.jpg

Mn3NNy7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up these from a seller at the recent Viva Las Vegas rockabilly event. 

Reasonably priced so a good find I'd say.

Probably late 60s/early 70s. 

IMG_8207.thumb.jpg.d6a9c3a320fee5f2507530482bcac41d.jpg

IMG_8210.thumb.jpg.5002cb587b17b1f6270c4516e107e156.jpgIMG_8209.thumb.jpg.832756a78aae46168143abb7a4272173.jpgIMG_8208.thumb.jpg.aad5cce5d9f2a87faf5e01b7d310b341.jpg

The guy also had two pairs of very cool 1930s boots that didn't fit me, but I took photos in case anyone wanted to see. Will post those at some point.

Edited by CSL

On 4/19/2023 at 6:24 AM, spidereye said:

Eyeing on this Chelsea by RM Williams with commando sole ..anyone have this pair ?mind sharing some worn pictures;)

Screenshot_2023-04-19-13-13-29-444_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-19-13-13-12-063_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-19-13-13-24-082_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-19-13-13-17-464_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Did you get these, I really like the look of them in brown.

Also considering the crockett and jones roughout Chelsea 

image.thumb.png.cab3a90b7fb11b3002dc3c08208e8031.png

https://www.crockettandjones.com/collections/mens-chelsea-boot-collection/products/chelsea-5-darkbrown-roughout?variant=36448227622984

Edited by Geeman

rarely shine my shoes but i just did. cheaney cairngorm. used cheaney's own bordeaux cream and wax, made by saphir. the burgundy leather gets quite light brown after a few years (sorry no before photos), these are around 4 years old.

PXL_20230505_035732172.jpg

PXL_20230505_035854357.jpg

PXL_20230505_040210990.jpg