Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

• 2 weeks later...

Passed through Spokane this morning on the way back from a couple weeks in Alberta (more on that later)

Had a seriously great chicken-fried steak for breakfast at a roadside diner and somehow ended up leaving town with an order in for a pair of JK boots to use in the backcountry…not sure how that happened

Should be ready in around a month; will post thorough pics & opinions—but, for now, I can say with certainty that I’m really, really excited

On 8/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, julian-wolf said:

Passed through Spokane this morning on the way back from a couple weeks in Alberta (more on that later)

Had a seriously great chicken-fried steak for breakfast at a roadside diner and somehow ended up leaving town with an order in for a pair of JK boots to use in the backcountry…not sure how that happened

Should be ready in around a month; will post thorough pics & opinions—but, for now, I can say with certainty that I’m really, really excited

Which pair did you get? I've been considering ordering a pair, but can't decide which. 

@nick682 Not sure on the style, I can try and find the receipt and get back to you. Chatted with the guy running the shop for a while and felt like we landed on a really good middle ground. It’s their standard construction, but with a single-piece sole + heel (no heel stacks) and with no screws in the sole. The heel is also around a half inch lower, which is generally my preference. Overall, should be a good bit lighter than their work boots. It’s based on a new line that they introduced recently specifically for trekking (my primary use case), but the new line has a midsole that tapers down at the ball of the foot in order to offer more flexibility, and I prefer a stiffer sole so I went for the standard full midsole. Light tan leather (I think they called it mocha?) with rough-out lowers and smooth-out uppers, and a full 10” height. The try-on pair was extremely comfortable.

Edited by julian-wolf

Pre-ordered these from Yuketen back in May and they're finally here.
Hex-eye boat shoes with Cortina lug sole. Leather is pebble grain Chromexcel. I love how over the top the sole is.
Wore them yesterday and they're very comfortable, think they'll get a lot of year-round wear.
B3TU0sI.jpg
1BltKiu.jpg
j5xSfjJ.jpg
57TyJUD.jpg
DuYpQhy.jpg
K0b16aX.jpg

On 4/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, julian-wolf said:

White's Hikers got a real workout over the past couple of days. Soaked through, dried by the fire (before it got too hot), and right back on my feet. So far they're still holding up okay. Post-conditioning photos to come.

Vw8Hk7e.jpg

eNtmAhP.jpg

yMpFb9C.jpg

vteCq5H.jpg

0hwc5IA.jpg

vBVgGyt.jpg

Didn't get around to conditioning these until this afternoon, but here they are now:

d1vqvC0.jpg

Sp5PX04.jpg

kRK8im7.jpg

They're still holding up alright. The stitching connecting the quarters to the vamps has needed to be fixed in two different locations, but no other real issues. The tongues twist way over to the sides, which is sort of a bummer. It's also sort of a bummer that the tongues aren't gusseted, since it means that these are really only water resistant down to like 3 or 4 inches, which isn't very useful.

The biggest issue is that they've never fit me quite right. For whatever reason, they sized me as a 10.5 E for these. I've since been resized, for other White's, as a 10.5 D, and those fit much better. Go figure. I can make them work okay with a leather insole, but it would be nice not to need to deal with all that.

To the above points…I've been on a bit of a hiking boot buying spree this past year. One pair that I'd had my eyes on for a long time is the Rannoch boots from Hoggs of Fife. They're 7" veldtschoen country boots made in the Cheaney factory in Northampton. They're not intended for trekking (obviously), but, all the same, they seemed like they would fit my use case well. They're extremely well priced to begin with, but a couple of months ago I found a good deal on a pair in my size and gave them a go.

They came with me on my recent trip to Alberta, and were worn for both hikes (see other thread). I like them a lot.

They treated me well through some pretty serious stream crossings, and the stitching and welting appear to be fairly watertight, which, along with the fully gusseted tongue, is a big plus. That said, they're still made of leather—so, over the course of two full days hiking through rain and hail in Banff, they got pretty thoroughly soaked through, and they didn't really see a chance to dry out fully for a good chunk of the whole trip. They were still very comfortable, even when wet, but I mention this whole episode to highlight the extent to which they were really put through the wringer.

Here they are after ~10 days of heavy use:

oEPt6fc.jpg

9H8jsZY.jpg

egOxE91.jpg

CAwLrVP.jpg

oB0Ogtx.jpg

1eSUUEO.jpg

tJZ0Hf0.jpg

tZxnSF3.jpg

wJagweK.jpg

and Here they are after a thorough cleaning and conditioning this afternoon:

hyZLNzE.jpg

QGx0Oxi.jpg

nFkB3x3.jpg

fis0ib3.jpg

EpIx57h.jpg

ZAHhknF.jpg

huGxSYD.jpg

I'm looking forward to beating the hell out of these over the next few years. When they eventually need a resole, I'll probably transition them to street shoes. Great functionality aside, I like the aesthetic quite a bit.

@julian-wolf I'm just curious about your choice of tools so to speak - what's it most motivated by?

Do you find these old school leather boots (I'm referring to both pairs, above - I know only one is specifically a hiker) better than what say, Solomon or Keen or Vasque or (whatever, choose your maker) are making? I have a pair of Solomon hikers and while I don't love how they look and they don't develop a nice patina they've been way better for me over the long run from a pure use standpoint. You're definitely putting in more use at a time than I am these days - but mine have seen a lot of use over time. 

@AlientoyWorkmachine I go back and forth on that. For years, I hiked in trail runners, which are great for many reasons. Overall, though, I find that I prefer reliable ankle support—partially because rolling my ankle once on a long trek was more than enough, and partially because I find that I take in more of my surroundings rather than just looking at the ground (incidentally, the same primary reason that I prefer hiking with poles)—which brings the conversation to boots.

I’m sure that, if my goal was laying down as many miles as possible, some lightweight modern composite boot would be the right choice; there’s no comparison there. When weight isn’t a primary concern, though, I feel that leather hits the best middle-ground between water resistance and breathability. I like being able to walk through a few inches of water without getting wet, but I can’t stand how sweaty my feet get in GoreTex. Up ‘til this point, at least, I think I can reasonably justify my decisions in a way that would appeal to someone less interested in fancy clothes and boots.

Even within the category of leather hikers, though, there are plenty of reasonably cemented options that are much more modern, lighter weight, and likely somewhat more water resistant. My preference for this sort of old-style boot over those is purely aesthetic. I’m out in the backcountry to have the best time I can, after all, and a big part of having a good time, for me, is enjoying everything about my surroundings—not just the trees and the creeks and the mountains, but my boots & my clothes & my other gear as well. I’m convinced that I get more enjoyment out of a long hike wearing cool gear than I would wearing modern tech, and that’s worth a lot to me. Again, if I was interested in longer-term through hikes where every ounce really mattered, I’m sure my thoughts on that would change—but, when it comes down to it, that sort of thing really doesn’t appeal to me in the first place. Besides, I’m usually not the slowest person in my group anyway, so I might as well live it up a bit.

Edited by julian-wolf

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine I go back and forth on that. For years, I hiked in trail runners, which are great for many reasons. Overall, though, I find that I prefer reliable ankle support—partially because rolling my ankle once on a long trek was more than enough, and partially because I find that I take in more of my surroundings rather than just looking at the ground (incidentally, the same primary reason that I prefer hiking with poles)—which brings the conversation to boots.

I’m sure that, if my goal was laying down as many miles as possible, some lightweight modern composite boot would be the right choice; there’s no comparison there. When weight isn’t a primary concern, though, I feel that leather hits the best middle-ground between water resistance and breathability. I like being able to walk through a few inches of water without getting wet, but I can’t stand how sweaty my feet get in GoreTex. Up ‘til this point, at least, I think I can reasonably justify my decisions in a way that would appeal to someone less interested in fancy clothes and boots.

Even within the category of leather hikers, though, there are plenty of reasonably cemented options that are much more modern, lighter weight, and likely somewhat more water resistant. My preference for this sort of old-style boot over those is purely aesthetic. I’m out in the backcountry to have the best time I can, after all, and a big part of having a good time, for me, is enjoying everything about my surroundings—not just the trees and the creeks and the mountains, but my boots & my clothes & my other gear as well. I’m convinced that I get more enjoyment out of a long hike wearing cool gear than I would wearing modern tech, and that’s worth a lot to me. Again, if I was interested in longer-term through hikes where every ounce really mattered, I’m sure my thoughts on that would change—but, when it comes down to it, that sort of thing really doesn’t appeal to me in the first place. Besides, I’m usually not the slowest person in my group anyway, so I might as well live it up a bit.

Yea, my ankles are trashed after years of trail running and skateboarding injuries so I need that support, though I too prefer to hike in trail shoes (actually, my favorites have been minimalist trail shoes with a rock plate). Despite my preference I'll go for the boots more often than not....which isn't happening a lot right now anyways. 

I get your reasoning though. For me, the stacked heel is the one thing I have trouble getting around (though not an issue on a lot of leather hikers it seems), even for long urban strolls, they generally make my feet feel pretty rough after a few miles even. I've still got a few decent(ish) pairs of boots, but they hardly get wear anymore mostly for this reason. My pair is getting old though, finally, so I was considering at least looking for some leather options for next time, depending on the sole/insole designs. 

That makes sense. For what it’s worth, as you say, there are a lot of very good options without stacked heels (unless you mean you just don’t like raised heels in general). The White’s hikers and my incoming JK boots are both on single-piece sole + heels without any stacks. Makes a big difference towards saving weight where you can.

• 5 weeks later...

1F2A0C15-DAFB-468B-A5FA-8459A6C16AE4.thumb.jpeg.59b19be3d501e7b4157910b1d93cdba5.jpeg

Talking of boots, trying out a Gustin purchase. Very soft Italian leather. And a great fit from the get go. See how they turn out after at the end of spring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @smoothsailor, I'm wearing a FW jackson suit so I'll be wearing the Jackson trousers.
I just looked and my tie actually matches up perfectly with the laces on the shoes. Funny how those things work out.
I'll get some photos up from the wedding after once we get them back.

Agree with Smooth… the tone of the contrasting laces against that leather looks very nice indeed

Stag do / bachelor party safely navigated then?

All the very best for the big day mate! Looking forward to the pics <thumbs up emoji>

I feel like Oak Street has been shunned in the past for something or another (can't remember why), well now they're completely knocking off Aurora Shoe Co.'s design.
Not sure how rooted in history this design is to begin with, but talk about an exact knockoff / copy. Sure the soles / buckles are different, but it's basically a mirror image.
Aurora's Middle English:
BRN-SIDE1_grande.jpg?v=1360097228
Hayato_ME_grande.jpg?v=1552406344
Oak Street's Country Loafer:
country-loafer-brown-chromexcel-vibram-2
country-loafer-brown-chromexcel-vibram-2

it wasn't until you mentioned that oakstreet were shunned that I realized that I also kind of viewed them in a negative light but I no longer remember why....was there an actual thing that happened? I remember seeing their boots everywhere for a bit during the great American Made Heritage years of the 2010s. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest