Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

20 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Anybody here had their shoes resoled by Brian?  If so, can you post some pictures?

I had him do a full lower re-build to hand welt on a pair of Chippewa engineer boots a few years back, just before he blew up, when he was still posting here. The stock leather on the uppers was good quality, but everything in the stock lowers was junk. His work on the outside looked great. The inside, however, was not. In the heel area where the leather upper was folded under was very bumpy. In the forefoot where he did the hand stitched welt was also very bumpy. The boots were so uncomfortable - like having pebbles all over the bottom of the boots - that I don't wear them. I thought about selling them, but did not because I wouldn't sell something I think is defective. I tried to talk to Brian about it at the time, but he basically said his work was good and my feet would adapt to the boots over time. For what he charged and the quality of the work, I found unacceptable. The bottom of the boots should have been completely flat, smooth, no bumps or imperfections. I made a post about it here at the time, got a couple of supportive comments from members that are no longer active; then Brian stopped posting here.

mpukeas ^ That's very unfortunate. He should have taken care of that issue.

My experience was better. With the boots there is feelable ridge inside where the heel meets the front part but after a few minutes of wearing I become unaware of it.

I also had a pair of Paraboot Loafers resoled by Brian & the work was perfect. 

I can get pictures later but I have two pairs that he did around 2015-2016...they both came out great. It was all very cleanly done and his custom soles are very heavy duty. I remember it was very expensive and I imagine it's gotten more expensive since 6-7 years ago. 

On 5/3/2022 at 4:45 PM, mlwdp said:

Anybody here had their shoes resoled by Brian?  If so, can you post some pictures?

I had him resole my RDTs in 2017, and he did a great job (pics below, 5 years later). Cost was $170. Around the same time I had Baker’s resole my white’s boots, and the cost was $120, but I have to say that the bakers job was not as cleanly done as Brian and pretty sure one of the boots ended up being bigger than when I sent it to them.

Also, I once had Alden resole a pair of Indy boots for me and they completely ruined the boots. Oof.

2FFD4849-8CC0-4B50-8162-DDA05B586C9C.jpeg

E8208EBD-742A-4CF1-BE8F-3E52C5A73CA5.jpeg

Edited by tod

Anyone have experience with the Alden Van last?
Interested in a pair of LHS loafers for the summer, general consensus seems to be half a size down. I’m a 11.5 in the Trubalance, I also own a pair of black shell captoe boots in 11.5 on the Grant last and they’re admittedly not very comfortable. Just trying to avoid the pinky toe pinch that I experience on the Grant last if possible!

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Anyone have experience with the Alden Van last?
Interested in a pair of LHS loafers for the summer, general consensus seems to be half a size down. I’m a 11.5 in the Trubalance, I also own a pair of black shell captoe boots in 11.5 on the Grant last and they’re admittedly not very comfortable. Just trying to avoid the pinky toe pinch that I experience on the Grant last if possible!

https://supertalk.superfuture.com/topic/140583-shoes-that-look-better-with-age/?do=findComment&comment=3352611

Thanks Duke, I've been studying that one for the last couple of days.
Reading specifically about the Van last online it sounds like some struggle with sizing because of the fit across the top of the foot at the vamp.
Also still deciding if I'm sold on loafers in general or not, guess I can always return them if I don't love them.
Growing up I remember my grandpa wearing loafers that were beat to hell in his workshop at the lake, something about that style sticks out in my mind.
These are the ones I've been considering.
lhsl3.jpg

Not for me i'm afraid.. i still remember, regrettabley every fucking prick around town wearing Patrick Cox..

I'm still scarred... and scared!

Only fond memory i have of penny loafers was a chap i worked for during my apprenticeship.. he was struggling to tie his laces due to middle aged spread, rather than loose a few pounds he just ditched the lace'ups for loafers.. genius!

If you're not au fait with the Patrick Cox loafer.. they came in numerous styles but snakeskin was his 'finest' hour

image.png.6d7ab1232541458469cb62bc645b1ed3.png

image.thumb.png.eb1d735b481e1970f0302801751265dd.png

Ugh! hideous.. sends chills down my spine!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Woof, those are horrible 00. In a similar vein I hate the "driver" style loafers. Those make me squirm...
But I think there's something to be said about the Ivy style ones like the Aldens that I'm interested in.
I've seen a lot of JP peeps wearing them and they look nice when styled well. Not entirely sold yet, just looking around.

@Broark I have alden LHS on the van last - I went 10E. I also have Indy boots - trubalance 9.5E that fit very well. And v tips - Barrie 10D that fit pretty good. I think I might be about a 10E on the brannock. My whites are 10E and attractions are 10. 

yes the strap was snug on my LHS at first and sometimes can get a bit tight after a long day especially when it is hot. I have a high instep though. 

fuck Patrick cox though - I remember those terrible things too. 

@Double 0 Soul we're definitely shaped by our experiences! Although the loafers my grandpa was wearing were probably more rugged looking and less dressy and were beat to hell. Could probably dig up a photo although it's been years since they sold the lake house (it wasn't nearly as fancy as it sounds), he'd wear them doing yard work and whenever we went out on the boat. Good memories.

@fre-co thanks for your sizing experience, sounds like I might be safer with a 12 (which I believe is currently sold out) in that case.
My 11.5 Trubalance Indy boots are comfortable. I'm a UK11/EU 45 in Paraboot, 12 in Lofgren and 11.5 in Viberg for reference. 

17 hours ago, Broark said:

@Double 0 Soul we're definitely shaped by our experiences! Although the loafers my grandpa was wearing were probably more rugged looking and less dressy and were beat to hell. Could probably dig up a photo although it's been years since they sold the lake house (it wasn't nearly as fancy as it sounds), he'd wear them doing yard work and whenever we went out on the boat. Good memories.

@fre-co thanks for your sizing experience, sounds like I might be safer with a 12 (which I believe is currently sold out) in that case.
My 11.5 Trubalance Indy boots are comfortable. I'm a UK11/EU 45 in Paraboot, 12 in Lofgren and 11.5 in Viberg for reference. 

Might be worth trying 11.5 if you don’t have wide feet or high instep. 

On 5/12/2022 at 7:04 PM, eeejayaich said:

Loved these since the day I got them. They probably have 700 days of wear on them. Here paired with Ooe that I got from b_F. (Which are also awesome.) 

7E9F7E0C-C5D9-4CFD-A0C7-27C4F80B0706.jpeg

Do tell..

Part 2 of the Wesco Boss.  Going to have Dr. sole soles put on them.

Part 3 will be Wesco resole the and put the roller buckles on them.

Edited by mlwdp

• 3 weeks later...