Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

@MJF9, @fre-co I’m definitely in on Alden, I’m sure I would get a lot more wear out of them as they’re a little more practical for everyday use. But I should’ve clarified, I’m looking for something in a brown / tan  color. If whisky or cigar shell was readily available this wouldn’t even be a problem. :P Seems like the only shell Alden is offering these days is color 8 and black. I’ll keep looking at shop specific makeup and see if I can find something in the color I’m looking for. Also not really looking for any wing-tips, either plain toe or cap toe. Preferably not on a leather sole as part of the wedding will be outdoors (I also just don’t really like leather soles all that much).

15 minutes ago, Broark said:

@MJF9, @fre-co I’m definitely in on Alden, I’m sure I would get a lot more wear out of them as they’re a little more practical for everyday use. But I should’ve clarified, I’m looking for something in a brown / tan  color. If whisky or cigar shell was readily available this wouldn’t even be a problem. :P Seems like the only shell Alden is offering these days is color 8 and black. I’ll keep looking at shop specific makeup and see if I can find something in the color I’m looking for. Also not really looking for any wing-tips, either plain toe or cap toe. Preferably not on a leather sole as part of the wedding will be outdoors (I also just don’t really like leather soles all that much).

Check out the alden Madison site too. They have quite a good bunch of makeups listed.   Im sure I saw some tan brown ones in the store on Wednesday. I’m quite partial to some of the saddle shoe make ups around now. Leffot have some. And love v-tips hence why I bought some. 

From Leffot

1) PTB in brown CXL with rubber lug sole and

2) cap toe 379x military last... calfskin but burgundy and leather sole which rules 'em out I think (lovely tho', I could convince myself here :))

image.png.d569e249a21b7a86535140eea0b3a058.png

image.png.f57e874850cc0519fbfd109235e808be.png

image.png

21 hours ago, persco_ said:

@Broark What suit do you plan to wear with the shoes?

I'm planning on wearing a Freewheelers Jackson suit, received it a little bit ago but haven't gotten around to posting any photos.
It's a charcoal grey color, so the lighter tan color of the shoes would be nice to offset the grey / brown hues of the suit.
Definitely leaning towards Alden if I can find the right makeup, will keep searching. 
@MJF9 those burgundy derbies look great, I've always been interested in the 379X last but unfortunately they don't have my size available (either 11.5 or 12 depending on the last).
Love the look of these but a Japanese retailer certainly won't stock my size.

White's Hikers got a real workout over the past couple of days. Soaked through, dried by the fire (before it got too hot), and right back on my feet. So far they're still holding up okay. Post-conditioning photos to come.

Vw8Hk7e.jpg

eNtmAhP.jpg

yMpFb9C.jpg

vteCq5H.jpg

0hwc5IA.jpg

vBVgGyt.jpg

re: previous page, my normal wedding outfit these days include trickers ilkley in brown zug (half size too big, but got them on crazy discount) + a navy ripstop casual "suit" by nigel cabourn. i'm sure grenson or similar have a more affordable alternative.

Edited by conqueror

Apologies as I feel like I have asked this before (but I can't remember the answers, going back and checking now :blush:)...favorite Paraboot retailers?
Just looking for the Michael in lisse café or nubuck gringo (or maybe the Reims loafer as well) size 45.
I remember it being mentioned that buying from the UK or EU is the best bang for your buck and I'm confident in my sizing.

2 hours ago, Broark said:

Apologies as I feel like I have asked this before (but I can't remember the answers, going back and checking now :blush:)...favorite Paraboot retailers?
Just looking for the Michael in lisse café or nubuck gringo (or maybe the Reims loafer as well) size 45.
I remember it being mentioned that buying from the UK or EU is the best bang for your buck and I'm confident in my sizing.

Clutch Cafe or Son of a Stag for best pricing to the states. Totem Brand Co and Drinkswater Cambridge for U.S.-based stockists. Lost & Found in Canada is also worth a look. 

On 4/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, Broark said:

I'm planning on wearing a Freewheelers Jackson suit, received it a little bit ago but haven't gotten around to posting any photos.
It's a charcoal grey color, so the lighter tan color of the shoes would be nice to offset the grey / brown hues of the suit.
Definitely leaning towards Alden if I can find the right makeup, will keep searching. 
@MJF9 those burgundy derbies look great, I've always been interested in the 379X last but unfortunately they don't have my size available (either 11.5 or 12 depending on the last).
Love the look of these but a Japanese retailer certainly won't stock my size.

Perhaps these from The Flathead?

Horsehide Serviceman Shoes (Brown Tea-core)

L1020321_9151f9b6-f728-40f6-947a-b56a19a

Edit: Just saw, that max size seems to be US10.

Edited by indigoeagle
saw limited sizes

8 hours ago, Broark said:

The Modern Draper have your size and ship to the US, 20% off this weekend with EASTER20

Works out around $400

Anyone miss this yellow boots.. I recall this are 90s most sought-after boots at my place TIMBERLAND hey day.

Wearing this bring back my memory back then .. it's a club boots too :)

IMG_20220416_180850.jpg

IMG_20220416_180841.jpg

Edited by spidereye

3 hours ago, Geeman said:

Trashed timbers and faded denim :D

Late 80s /Early 90s daily wear for chilling or clubbing! 

Alternated with sneakers and tracky bottoms 

Memories :)

Just bought this 1930s boots still in prestine condition ,leather still pliable no cracks the entire sole is wooden pegs construction so rigid sensation when walking I love it thrift store isIMG_20220421_011854.thumb.jpg.1d7023f39924fbc8d6ee5d01d3fdd9ad.jpg full of surprise :)

This boot build like a tank.

IMG_20220421_004832.jpg

IMG_20220421_011911.jpg

IMG_20220421_011929.jpg

IMG_20220421_011948.jpg

^ when I first read that, at speed, I thought you said 'I'm a sucker for going commando'... fortunately it was a boot pic that followed, otherwise the thread police would have directed you to the blunders and nonsense thread...

Just got these secondhand Lone Wolf Carpenters in, off yahoo Japan for a pretty good price - finally got the sizing down after a couple of failed tries importing boots from Japan. For reference, I’m a us 9 brannock and took a 7.5 in these.

F2FC5A40-15BF-4046-9B58-825FBAD5A2C3.thumb.jpeg.a280693630620e7e5792b2fb9077c591.jpeg

They look to have had new soles glued on over the cats paw’s, which I guess I don’t mind, though I’d rather they had been properly resoled. The listing didn’t show any good pictures of the outsole so my fault for assuming they hadn’t been messed with.

4ACAE0D0-EC54-40A2-9CB5-58AF72CE99D5.thumb.jpeg.a021af47809ef7f89508ca7455048e02.jpeg

Also noticed the leather is cracking a bit around the welt - do you all reckon this might cause any issues down the line? Maybe this isn’t why they were properly resoled? Oh well, at least they fit and look good, and were cheap… if I gotta keep gluing new soles down every so often I guess that’s not so bad…

9A52256A-4012-4DD0-918C-371852521E83.thumb.jpeg.71e38785477569621829613265f4512a.jpeg

I have a pair of Toys McCoy surveyor that disintegrated the welt after only a couple of years. Pictures in this thread somewhere.

I don’t know if yours are going the same way but I wouldn’t have much confidence in that welt lasting long. 

a rewelt and sole cost me about £200 on those.