Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Thanks for the two helpful replies! So I’m looking at a pair of Norwegian front bluchers. The Shoe Mart says they’re on the Aberdeen last but the listing says they’re on the Barrie last. Maybe the seller is mistaken? Do either of you have experience with the NST?

The inside is stamped with a B/D. What does that mean in terms of width??

Edited by Ciabatta

1 hour ago, Ciabatta said:

Thanks for the two helpful replies! So I’m looking at a pair of Norwegian front bluchers. The Shoe Mart says they’re on the Aberdeen last but the listing says they’re on the Barrie last. Maybe the seller is mistaken? Do either of you have experience with the NST?

The inside is stamped with a B/D. What does that mean in terms of width??

http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=116&PageID=8 - Alden seem to refer to the shoe having the Aberdeen last. I’m pretty sure the stamp indicates a medium width;  with the ‘D’ being the forefoot and the ‘B’ the heel … so, average width in forefoot with narrow heels.

I found this graphic which might help a little:

33CE34C7-4145-45C8-ADCB-D68443240AEF.thumb.jpeg.afb08cadd782a8e7f221bc7782e3e31a.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

Is it true there are Japanese exclusive models of Alden or am I not looking hard enough?  I’m looking everywhere for this model but can’t find it outside of The Lakota House.  It’s on a 379x last:

https://www.lakotahouse.com/brand/items/4545H/?utm_source=IGShopping&utm_medium=Social

E566D5B5-6162-4C70-8ED2-86347482FEE3.jpeg

AF58AD1A-654E-461A-ABE7-6E550ACBAF92.jpeg

44 minutes ago, fre-co said:

B/d is the width marking. Standard width. Google the model number from the stamp and you’ll be able to find all the specs. This is a useful resource: www.aldenmodelproject.com

That’s a fantastic link. Thanks!

Looking for a good quality chelsea boot at decent price ..any suggestions?

Rw rancher in my current list 

Edited by spidereye

On 3/26/2022 at 10:44 PM, spidereye said:

Found this gem tday a pair of Red wing Engineer bootsIMG_20220326_202758.thumb.jpg.0c140e26c2f60b15274ecbb83a02e1ec.jpgIMG_20220326_205116.thumb.jpg.e50d12a8d9b057a14df9b7ed168c5024.jpgIMG_20220326_202758.thumb.jpg.0c140e26c2f60b15274ecbb83a02e1ec.jpg..maybe a special model ..it come with secret stash compartment and on the right pair come with I believe a knife pocket . Do anyone know which model it is..years of production?

IMG_20220326_202833.jpg

IMG_20220326_202838.jpg

IMG_20220326_205249.jpg

Just dig it..after chat with Eddie Wizard of wings from Instagram ..this model are 8270 knife pocket engineer..I guess it is for Japan market.

Screenshot_2022-03-29-00-34-48-845_com.instagram.android.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-29-00-33-29-225_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-29-00-33-34-327_com.android.chrome.jpg

Just recieved a pair of Attractions Lot 444. Same sizing as my Wesco Mister Lou (7.5E for the Wesco, 7.5 for the 444s). They fit well, a pain to put on but that'll be better. I'd argue the sizing is a bit smaller than the Mr Lous, which makes some sense since the Attractions seemingly use a pretty accurate cm sizing scale. 

40750D68-953F-41A8-B946-DE6984DE45B4.thumb.jpeg.efb80a0e6b2116ecce1eb9e9acdb9d6e.jpeg

Edited by sensy

9 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I measured a size 7 on the brannock and wear size 7 in sneakers and boots minus Wesco which is a size 6.  Would I need size 7 in Attractions engineer boots?

I guess it depends on which Wesco last/boots and stuff, but 7 sounds reasonable. Possibly a 6.5.

Does anyone here have experience with the Viberg 2020 last?
I'm interested in these Bastion oxfords for my wedding this fall, but I'm concerned that the last might be a bit too narrow for me.
I've found a few threads online about this last elsewhere, just wanted to see if anyone here has first hand experience.
Also I find the grain a little odd, super visible creasing in the second photo but don't really see it in the first.
If anyone has suggestions to similar options I'd be open to those as well.
PDP_Bastion_Noix_1.jpg?v=1648595170&widt
basox_5.jpg?v=1648595170&width=1080

@fre-co I agree, I'm sure there's a more refined option out there but I haven't come across them yet.
Definitely open to suggestions. Trickers would do the trick (heh) if they used a leather in this shade of brown / tan.

8 hours ago, Broark said:

Not set on a captoe, just not looking for anything overly flashy.
Crockett and Jones might be a good option, haven't looked there yet!

I'd definitely look at the English shoes for your wedding. Not Viberg. They do nice boots, but the English do really great shoes. Trickers are very chunky, country shoes. C&J are great. Also check out Carmina (from Spain). Very well made and you could get a fantastic shell cordovan in tan from them, you choose the last and shape you want.

All great ideas, thanks guys. I'll admit that Edward Green is out of my price range though. :D
Part of what I'm trying to avoid is the pointy toe look, I have slightly wide feet and I find that those lasts don't work well for me usually.
I think that's partially why I'm leaning towards a derby style shoe instead of an oxford, they're usually a little less pointy and have more of an almond shaped last.
Alden would be ideal, however I'm struggling to find a leather that I like. They have a massive catalog with a ton of shop specific make-ups, so I'll do some more searching there.

seconded on the Alfred Sargent  ... got married in one of their Derbys very similar to those trickers above ... here is their cap toe Oxford which is a neater affair than the viberg above... grenson 'g1' line does a decent variation too

if feely formal proper proper dress shoes are wholecuts... the alfred sargent 'cuthbert' version, church's [who seem to have jacked their prices up a whole new notch of silly] version...

and yes; worn Cheaney plenty enough to recommend... 

An obvious consideration is how much wear will you get out of a model after the wedding?  Finding a pair that have future use is worthy consideration.  Hence my Alden suggestion... these plain toe blutchers might suit, particularly in shell cordovan, where the future creasing would provide a more jeans-friendly look imo.

I’m with @MJF9 on the Alden suggestion. I’m obviously a fan of them. But also the wearability point. I sold the C&J shoes I wore for my wedding a few years ago after only wearing them for a handful of occasions after the wedding. They were beautiful, from the hand grade line but would have looked stupid with my usual day to day style. Alden are way more versatile for my money. I wouldn’t go with the clunky trickers - they are too country for a wedding, I’d say. Ive had several pairs of truckers and moved them all on. 
Leffott in NYC have some nice alden make-ups available now or pre-order. They do some cool ones there. Also check out brick and mortar and brogue for make ups.