Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Does anyone here have experience with the Viberg 2020 last?
I'm interested in these Bastion oxfords for my wedding this fall, but I'm concerned that the last might be a bit too narrow for me.
I've found a few threads online about this last elsewhere, just wanted to see if anyone here has first hand experience.
Also I find the grain a little odd, super visible creasing in the second photo but don't really see it in the first.
If anyone has suggestions to similar options I'd be open to those as well.
PDP_Bastion_Noix_1.jpg?v=1648595170&widt
basox_5.jpg?v=1648595170&width=1080

@fre-co I agree, I'm sure there's a more refined option out there but I haven't come across them yet.
Definitely open to suggestions. Trickers would do the trick (heh) if they used a leather in this shade of brown / tan.

8 hours ago, Broark said:

Not set on a captoe, just not looking for anything overly flashy.
Crockett and Jones might be a good option, haven't looked there yet!

I'd definitely look at the English shoes for your wedding. Not Viberg. They do nice boots, but the English do really great shoes. Trickers are very chunky, country shoes. C&J are great. Also check out Carmina (from Spain). Very well made and you could get a fantastic shell cordovan in tan from them, you choose the last and shape you want.

All great ideas, thanks guys. I'll admit that Edward Green is out of my price range though. :D
Part of what I'm trying to avoid is the pointy toe look, I have slightly wide feet and I find that those lasts don't work well for me usually.
I think that's partially why I'm leaning towards a derby style shoe instead of an oxford, they're usually a little less pointy and have more of an almond shaped last.
Alden would be ideal, however I'm struggling to find a leather that I like. They have a massive catalog with a ton of shop specific make-ups, so I'll do some more searching there.

seconded on the Alfred Sargent  ... got married in one of their Derbys very similar to those trickers above ... here is their cap toe Oxford which is a neater affair than the viberg above... grenson 'g1' line does a decent variation too

if feely formal proper proper dress shoes are wholecuts... the alfred sargent 'cuthbert' version, church's [who seem to have jacked their prices up a whole new notch of silly] version...

and yes; worn Cheaney plenty enough to recommend... 

An obvious consideration is how much wear will you get out of a model after the wedding?  Finding a pair that have future use is worthy consideration.  Hence my Alden suggestion... these plain toe blutchers might suit, particularly in shell cordovan, where the future creasing would provide a more jeans-friendly look imo.

I’m with @MJF9 on the Alden suggestion. I’m obviously a fan of them. But also the wearability point. I sold the C&J shoes I wore for my wedding a few years ago after only wearing them for a handful of occasions after the wedding. They were beautiful, from the hand grade line but would have looked stupid with my usual day to day style. Alden are way more versatile for my money. I wouldn’t go with the clunky trickers - they are too country for a wedding, I’d say. Ive had several pairs of truckers and moved them all on. 
Leffott in NYC have some nice alden make-ups available now or pre-order. They do some cool ones there. Also check out brick and mortar and brogue for make ups. 

@MJF9, @fre-co I’m definitely in on Alden, I’m sure I would get a lot more wear out of them as they’re a little more practical for everyday use. But I should’ve clarified, I’m looking for something in a brown / tan  color. If whisky or cigar shell was readily available this wouldn’t even be a problem. :P Seems like the only shell Alden is offering these days is color 8 and black. I’ll keep looking at shop specific makeup and see if I can find something in the color I’m looking for. Also not really looking for any wing-tips, either plain toe or cap toe. Preferably not on a leather sole as part of the wedding will be outdoors (I also just don’t really like leather soles all that much).

15 minutes ago, Broark said:

@MJF9, @fre-co I’m definitely in on Alden, I’m sure I would get a lot more wear out of them as they’re a little more practical for everyday use. But I should’ve clarified, I’m looking for something in a brown / tan  color. If whisky or cigar shell was readily available this wouldn’t even be a problem. :P Seems like the only shell Alden is offering these days is color 8 and black. I’ll keep looking at shop specific makeup and see if I can find something in the color I’m looking for. Also not really looking for any wing-tips, either plain toe or cap toe. Preferably not on a leather sole as part of the wedding will be outdoors (I also just don’t really like leather soles all that much).

Check out the alden Madison site too. They have quite a good bunch of makeups listed.   Im sure I saw some tan brown ones in the store on Wednesday. I’m quite partial to some of the saddle shoe make ups around now. Leffot have some. And love v-tips hence why I bought some. 

From Leffot

1) PTB in brown CXL with rubber lug sole and

2) cap toe 379x military last... calfskin but burgundy and leather sole which rules 'em out I think (lovely tho', I could convince myself here :))

image.png.d569e249a21b7a86535140eea0b3a058.png

image.png.f57e874850cc0519fbfd109235e808be.png

image.png

21 hours ago, persco_ said:

@Broark What suit do you plan to wear with the shoes?

I'm planning on wearing a Freewheelers Jackson suit, received it a little bit ago but haven't gotten around to posting any photos.
It's a charcoal grey color, so the lighter tan color of the shoes would be nice to offset the grey / brown hues of the suit.
Definitely leaning towards Alden if I can find the right makeup, will keep searching. 
@MJF9 those burgundy derbies look great, I've always been interested in the 379X last but unfortunately they don't have my size available (either 11.5 or 12 depending on the last).
Love the look of these but a Japanese retailer certainly won't stock my size.

White's Hikers got a real workout over the past couple of days. Soaked through, dried by the fire (before it got too hot), and right back on my feet. So far they're still holding up okay. Post-conditioning photos to come.

Vw8Hk7e.jpg

eNtmAhP.jpg

yMpFb9C.jpg

vteCq5H.jpg

0hwc5IA.jpg

vBVgGyt.jpg