Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Anybody here use TAPIR leather conditioners and cleaners like their Lederfett on boots and shoes?  I’m debating on buying this and using this on black Chromexcel.

Edited by mlwdp

On 1/25/2022 at 8:35 PM, chicote said:

I’m curious whether you all who own multiple pairs of engineers can share some of your experience here. I’ve tried two different pairs of engineer boots, Lofgrens and Lone Wolfs, both of which were pretty close to fitting lengthwise but were pretty much impossible to walk in because of the height of the vamp relative to my pretty low instep. I’m still interested in looking for a pair that will fit me better but am not sure which direction to go in. Something with a slightly tapered toe box, ie. Attractions, seems like it might be a safer bet, although I don’t love that look personally, but if there are any other brands you all can recommend I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

sorry so late in reply...

only two engineers in this house to comment on [attractions / redwing]; attractions still have pretty big vamp even with smaller toe / tight ankle etc ... fitwise the redwing 2268 definitely have more grip in the vamp area, but bulbous toes [measured both, seem to have same vamp]... there are 80s/90s rw vintage teacore versions out there if you need them?

from my uneducated understanding lofgrens do seem pretty wide throughout? get in contact with bakers etc around custom fitting of a wesco or whites nomad? ol shanks / road champs and all those 40s fits have mini toes but retain pretty shapely vamps...

good luck with the search...

@chicote Good for you for getting a pair of TFH engineer boots. They're gorgeous! I've tried on a pair, and they didn't fit me at all. Wear them well and enjoy. 

JL's suite my foot much better, even tho they are nearly impossible to get on. 

On 2/8/2022 at 3:32 PM, crownzip said:

My old Red Wing Iron Ranger 8113 rough outs are definitely getting better with age. With new soles and heels (thanks to the Red Wing repair department) they're better than ever.

boots.jpg

FYI, looks like Jack Reacher is wearing these in the new Amazon series. Though his appear to be brand new - a failure in the costuming dept.

Edited by tod

@crownzip very nice, I have a pair of those that are still going strong.   I see you resoled with the cork -- good choice, god damn are those hard wearing and honestly I never really noticed them to be that bad in wet conditions, as some have said.  My pair from 2015 have a lot of miles left.

Flamepandas appeared all of a sudden on my doorstep after 2 weeks of untraceable tracking. As usual, Peng’s work is impeccable. 

This is my first experience with shinki horsehide and I must say that is it a thing of beauty. The olive horsehide has a range of tones and colours depending on which angle you look at it. Under full sunlight it goes to a brownish tone. Swapped out the round laces peng provided with a flat one that he included for a more informal look. One of my best fitting shoes out of the box. Small pinch on my right foot pinkie as usual with most shoes i wear. Sized half down from my previous short engineers I had from him because these are laced. Overall, super impressed with his work. Probably not the last from him. 

E1C6D423-19D4-4080-834F-A4C045FF6E49.thumb.jpeg.69dde595f44206606c2cb9109f319200.jpeg

261745E1-ACDE-4DE5-9762-AF689690566B.thumb.jpeg.a0a49eb72ed7b12278632e31a3acb914.jpeg

D341707E-EC68-43C5-8C54-694E58B7735A.thumb.jpeg.d6a06929bd4606da9ed71a5eaf87e43d.jpeg

oh yes. He also included a super heavy duty natural leather belt with some heavy character on the under side.

F7780B4A-F1C4-40A5-B324-504B8558F8E5.thumb.jpeg.7fc02df63c732c0b9a95308e145bc898.jpeg

E03F87D1-0B72-4675-A274-E3EBBEDFC0C4.thumb.jpeg.9bcac3e5a6eef50cdd332cc21b942ce1.jpeg

Those are lovely - nice balance to the design. His work always seems so clean.

I’d like to add something here though; when folk talk about the ‘leather’, I find they’re usually talking about the finish … and for the majority of us that’s the only obvious differentiator. 

Edited by Duke Mantee

On 2/7/2022 at 4:29 PM, mpukas said:

incoming... :ph34r: fingers crossed they fit and I like them... update may follow... 

I ordered and received a pair of JL Black Cats M-43 from S&S. Unfortunately, they do not fit. Far too narrow. I thought they'd be a bit wider than they are, being made on the Munson last. I have JL Devil's Causeway engineer boots in 9 1/2, and they fit well. Just a little narrow in width and little long in length. 

As of February 01 2022, S&S changed their return policy. They no longer offer refunds, only exchanges and store credit. I'm working on an exchange with them. 

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in purchasing them, DM me. 

Edited by mpukas

1 hour ago, tod said:

I’m tempted to try a pair of Lofgren combat boots, but have never tried them on.  Can anyone compare sizing to RDT Coupen boots? Thanks.

I have both in size 12, the Coupens are a little wider/longer by comparison.
I personally prefer the fit of the Combat Boots on my feet, my Coupens are a tad big.

3 hours ago, tod said:

I’m tempted to try a pair of Lofgren combat boots, but have never tried them on.  Can anyone compare sizing to RDT Coupen boots? Thanks.

I was just about to ask the same question re: Lofgren Combat Boots, LOL! 

As I mentioned in a post above, I have JL engineer's in 9.5 and they fit well. According to JL, these are a D width on his 110 last and the combat boots are an E width on his 120 last. JL M-43 on the D width Munson last are far too narrow for me. The Combat Boots and Donkey Punchers are both built on his 120 last, so they should fit similarly (I do not have DP's).  

I was able to secure a pair of the horsebutt combat boots in exchanging the black cats. I opted to a 9.0, hoping that the wider last would suite me better without being too long. 

FWIW, in my experience, S&S sizing recommendations for JL and Viberg does not work for me. I need to go TTS at a 9.0, or even size up to 9.5. 

Edited by mpukas

@Geeman and I exchanged views previously about Grenson … I’m not a fan of all they do (but Geeman isn’t wrong); however their G-One collection is a really high standard,  especially their Shoe <number> range bringing back genuine early to mid 20th century designs which is superlative:

7B528AE0-5085-4F34-971E-8998D4A1F291.jpeg

C1120767-DCDB-4EFE-A61E-7CB0FAE58A11.jpeg

93BB2AD4-5FF4-416A-A20A-B7F4DC5D4CF5.jpeg

1CBEEAB4-623B-469D-A6DF-AC9613261C3F.jpeg

9B80E985-7659-47F2-A9A9-F42F9DE37678.jpeg

02E40520-39A8-4E0E-92D7-53709B4B38F4.jpeg

F17A7475-BC1B-46C6-99E9-5D89463EB80B.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee