Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

To me, rebuild is more of an umbrella term, that can imply different levels of repair work. A re-sole would just be replacing the outsole, leaving the welt, gemming, mid-sole and in-sole (depending on the footwear) intact, assuming they're in acceptable condition. A rebuild could include replacing the welt, gemming, midsole and insole. 

10 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

@mpukas I guess that’s part of my gripe is how whites is sort of marketing this as a way to compete with red wing and thorogood moc toes. 
but I believe those two brands are rebuildable boots? 
either way. Lesson learned. I’m very hard on things but still a bit disappointed. I’ve been a big whites fan for years but I think I may start branching out and trying Nicks or JK next 

I've always thought there's a bit of romanticism around high-quality "heritage" work boots for real work, especially construction work like you do. White's, Nick's, etc. are expensive to get into, and expensive to repair/rebuild every couple of years. Is that really worth it, versus buying a cheaper brand that makes boots using cheaper cement techniques, knowing they'll last a year or two, and then throw them away and get another pair. I do think in the world of fire fighting, forestry, logging there's not a strong argument that can made against the top tier brands, in terms of durability, protection, and performance. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, shredwin_206 said:

1nQj9QL.jpgafter 6 months of wear these whites are now trash I guess. 
I sent them in for a re sole and they said they can’t re sole them because the welt is ripped….  
So in fact these are “fashion work” boots. 
not real work boots 

Holy moly, six months… Well, I guess they better rethink their description:

1D6FBA60-8773-424A-A121-F8CC0CF8D3F4.jpeg

7B5258F1-E5F4-44E8-A11C-1ACA23C595E8.jpeg

I sent back my Horsehide Wesco MP toe boss back to Wesco to get black triple stitching, longer instep strap and a 430 vibram resole.  Widened to e width too.

I’ll see them in 5 weeks.

Edited by mlwdp

Been seeing this insole being sold on Rakuten through retailers that sell White’s and Wesco so I bought them through Bakers Boots.I placed these into my Wesco Boss and they make my boots feel like sneakers with how comfy they are now.

9778CD40-7914-4EFE-98C4-FD8B8339EC84.jpeg

On 8/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, Thanks_M8 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcb5cBemg7Y

Just saw this video of Radian Shoe Repair cutting down a pair of Iron Rangers. Looks good imo, interesting idea.

That’s pretty cool. At one point I talked to Brian about cutting a pair down just below the top eyelet, which he said would be no problem, but I never ended up doing it.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, shredwin_206 said:

5VscAcJ.jpgxdhO9mG.jpgback to the OG work boot. 
the mighty 10877

very curious to see how these hold up for you. 

About 1 year+ ago someone on a FB group had these resoled by a cobbler in MN w/ a double mid-sole, stacked leather heel and half soles. Looked f'g great. Can't find the post now. HATE that white wedge sole more and more the more I see it. But I'm sure it's comfy and serves a purpose for actual construction work. 

@shredwin_206 If interested, search FB for the Group Heritage Boot Club, and search for Redwing 877. I poached this pic from the owner without permission, just to show how good they look. He's got quite a collection of work boots that he uses. 

May be an image of boots

Edited by mpukas

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Any recommended Paraboot retailers?
Thinking about a pair of Michael’s, so far I’ve only ordered the Arpenteur collaborations.

Drinkwater's Cambridge is the only authorized repair store for Paraboot in the US, so they know their stuff if you have questions about sizing or want to special order a size/style they don't have in stock. Totem Brand Co in Philadelphia also carries Paraboot.

If you know your size, you might be able to save a few bucks by ordering from a European retailer.

They fit!!!

The right one went on without too much of a struggle. With the left I had to use a plastic bag, but I was able to get it on. Narrow for my feet, but they'll work. A little heel slip, which hopefully will reduce as they break in. I have a boot puller, otherwise I'd never get them off, lol! 

Simply stunning, gorgeous, beautiful boots. S&S informed me that this run turned out less red than the previous. I prefer with that. Generally, I think engineer boots should be any color as long as they're black. But I'll happily compromise with these. I'm very fortunate to have copped this pair. Very excited to wear and break them in. Fit pics some day... 

20210910_201410.thumb.jpg.877d37b79e3807797b4c00caec2ac77b.jpg

A boot jack will change your life for the better. For Chelsea boots too. Trust me... you'll never understand how you lived for so long without one, lol! Just be mindful of your knees with really tight boots. 

I'm working from home too, and it's still too hot here in CO to wear jeans and boots. Except at night. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm (again) interested in the RDT Casper. I've read that one should choose anywhere from 1 to 1.5 to 2 sizes down from Brannock device size. I'd love to hear from people who might have tried them on. I'm a 10.5, C width on Brannock for what it's worth, and I generally wear size 8.5 on UK-sized shoes (E. Green, Paraboots) ... Thank you.

Edited by JDelage