Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Yes, yes - I get all that, but where’s the science you were talking about? Numbers man, I need numbers!

:laugh2:

Fine, fine—I’m used to my outsoles being nice and Euclidian, and the insistence of shoemakers to realize manifolds with positive Gaussian curvature is really throwing me for a loop!

So about that original query; the base curvature is caused by the midsole being made from a hard thick leather which takes time to break in and ease tension on the build, and the sole unit (it’s most noticeable on the the outsole being the thickest part) are cut to ‘splay’ to assist with balance and to avoid rolling your foot.

All this from the guy who rebuilt my Lone Wolf boots

What’s the deal with Skoob? Any experience with their shoes? Looks like they do production for a few of the brands were used to seeing here

Not a niche I need filled right now, but these seem lovely—spiritually similar to the McCoy’s service boots? https://lua-shop.ocnk.net/phone/product/6877

I have a pair of M-43. They fit well, a bit roomy, 1/2 cm left in front of the toes.

I am entertaining the idea to order Engineers, same size as the M-43.

It will be a pain in the §§§ if I have to return them as I would loose tax, shipping, customs clearance fees, ..

Anyone that tried both and can comment on size/fit?

Edited by Schorsch

hello all

probably should be in a different thread, but couldn't resist...

a grand-daddy of a boot from Walmer Castle, UK... the the Duke's own Wellington...

[note its tiny sole and what looks like a two panel construction...]

OrO8dpRh.jpg

jFp2Z8Th.jpg

lNY3zJ5h.jpg

1p2zFbJh.jpg

plus what looks to an olde caricature of the fellow...

En7rPvHh.jpg

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

• 2 weeks later...

1nQj9QL.jpgkRtLIFu.jpgafter 6 months of wear these whites are now trash I guess. 
I sent them in for a re sole and they said they can’t re sole them because the welt is ripped….  
So in fact these are “fashion work” boots. 
not real work boots 

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

… they can’t repair that?

They state these are not part of the rebuildable boot collection…..      

I’ve asked around and a lot of places want around $200 to sew a new welt and re sole. 
I may just toss them. A new pair of red wing 10877 cost $300 so I’ll prolly just do that….

1 hour ago, shredwin_206 said:

I’ve asked around and a lot of places want around $200 to sew a new welt and re sole. 
I may just toss them. A new pair of red wing 10877 cost $300 so I’ll prolly just do that….

That's a damn shame! I can usually get close to 2 years out of Red Wing 4215 boots.  I recently got a pair of the Perry's, but lately I've been working in the office more so I'm hoping they last longer than yours! 

2 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

That’s a shocking reply, and a shit excuse from White’s - that ‘damage’ is 100% repairable, as the others quoting you the $200 or so are confirming.

That’s really disappointing

For what it’s worth, I’ve gotten the impression that only their stitchdown boots are ever marketed as rebuildable, so the same prob. extends to all the other welted boots & shoes as well…guess that’s part of why they cost $200+ less

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

That’s really disappointing

For what it’s worth, I’ve gotten the impression that only their stitchdown boots are ever marketed as rebuildable, so the same prob. extends to all the other welted boots & shoes as well…guess that’s part of why they cost $200+ less

^ This ^

@shredwin_206 Honestly, I'm not surprised the boots didn't last you very long, as well as White's response. It always seemed to me that White's made that moc-toe boot at a lower price point to compete with the popularity and price of Redwing. I was always skeptical about the quality/durability compared to their hand lasted stitch down rebuildable made in USA boots. 

Not that the quality of their stitchdown boots is perfect either—I’ve had constructional stitches pop in two separate places already on my Hikers, and I don’t think I’ve put more than ~30 days of hard wear into them—but at least they’ve been good about fixing stuff as it breaks

@mpukas I guess that’s part of my gripe is how whites is sort of marketing this as a way to compete with red wing and thorogood moc toes. 
but I believe those two brands are rebuildable boots? 
either way. Lesson learned. I’m very hard on things but still a bit disappointed. I’ve been a big whites fan for years but I think I may start branching out and trying Nicks or JK next 

The Red Wings and Thorogoods are probably built the same as White’s—they’re all rebuildable (though I guess not by White’s in-house repair folks), and they’ll all cost $200+ to rebuild if the welt and midsole need replacing