Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

13 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Also just gave the MOTOs their first conditioning—they recommend every ten wears, which seems like quite a bit, but I think I’m going to try sticking to it for at least the first few months…& boy do they look good for it

EC1C3448-9F04-4D1B-B4FE-0FC2B7ED171F.thumb.jpeg.aa48a9d371fd56e0a6b0f8fdc5f4493d.jpeg

29D2D0B4-0BDA-4F5D-96DC-70DECFDDFCC8.thumb.jpeg.35ed6c9b16d99e88a50c2ad777c80e8e.jpeg

That does seem like a lot especially for shell, but they do look good!  I'm curious what specifically do they recommend for conditioning? 

Viberg x The Bureau rough out, black vibram sole reminiscent of brothel creepers

About 7/8 years old... had lots of wear but remain as tough as old boots

IMG_0561.JPG

Edited by MJF9

Dropped these Fracap boots off for a Vibram resole this week. 

Roughly 10 years old and they've been with me on hikes across Patagonia, Slovenia, Georgia and Cuba. Still comfortable and durable as ever. 

Will follow up with an update once they're resoled. 

IMG_20210528_141409.jpg

IMG_20210528_141403.jpg

@shredwin_206 Not sure if it's appropriate for construction, but I recommend Vibram's 1276 Sierra sole. I've had many boots resoled with it. It's a flat sole with no heel, which is what I want for hiking/everyday use. It can be used with a wedge if preferred. It's a hard wearing sole. The lugs aren't as deep as a traditional lug/logger tread so it doesn't get clogged up as much. It has really good traction in everything from dry dirt to snow & ice. 

How do folks size Yuketen mocs? Been interested in a pair for a while & found a slew on sale @ https://www.mytheresa.com/en-us/men/sale/shoes.html?designer=8118

I think I’m pretty close to an 11 on a Brannock device, but I’ve never had anything bigger than a 10.5 that feels like it fits me well, so there’s that. I normally wear pretty thick socks, but prob. wouldn’t want to with moccasins. Not sure between a 10 and an 11—leaning towards 10

20 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Okay, good info. Seems you’re 1 size down from me in everything besides Lofgren (I’m also a 9.5 there—go figure), so sounds like a 10 is probably the move.

@julian-wolf - You're almost 11 on Brannock and wear JL 9.5? Do you have JL Engineer boots?

Asking because I put down a deposit on a pair of Devil's Causeway. I'm a 9EE on Brannock and have high arch & instep, very high volume. I usually wear 9.5EE or Wide. At first S&S recommended a 9.0. But I bought a pair of Viberg 2055 in 8.5, and they were way to small. So S&S recommended I size up the JL's to 9.5. I've heard stories about people finding the JL/s difficult to get on. I'm really stressing about the size... I hope they work out for me... like I said previously, I'd rather err on the side of too big than too small for pull-on boots, but I'm nervous about them being too big. 

@mpukas I’ve never tried their engineers, but I’ve been a consistent 9.5 in all the lace-ups I’ve tried (M-43, combat boots, moc toes)

That said, I don’t know of anyone else that’s sized down as much as me—I think something about their lasts just works weird with my feet

On 6/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, julian-wolf said:

How do folks size Yuketen mocs? Been interested in a pair for a while & found a slew on sale @ https://www.mytheresa.com/en-us/men/sale/shoes.html?designer=8118

I think I’m pretty close to an 11 on a Brannock device, but I’ve never had anything bigger than a 10.5 that feels like it fits me well, so there’s that. I normally wear pretty thick socks, but prob. wouldn’t want to with moccasins. Not sure between a 10 and an 11—leaning towards 10

I bought a pair of boating moc from eBay ( new never worn ) I’m an 9 and bought 9 and l should have sized up one .

• 2 weeks later...