Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Not sure if these sneakers qualify as shoes that look better with age. But here it is. Visvim’s first iteration of the joggers in light brown horween horsehide. Bought them nearly new, probably worn once or twice. Have been wearing them at least twice a week for 2 months. The leather is a brown colour with some reddish undertones. Pictures below. 

5224343C-5A28-485E-8788-B4B0F7D2FB25.thumb.jpeg.2473ce141d5d2fe56dd838e5cdab0dea.jpeg

B4D01F07-956B-4A89-95DD-BA269F17CC5C.thumb.jpeg.813180beeb3cb6822e450839f3bcb61c.jpeg

C8CAF9DB-413D-421A-876A-7FF1A1DD0989.thumb.jpeg.3532334860c990af3379dfb6ccc77508.jpeg

EF1BC1EA-B2F2-4909-A40A-305F17948593.thumb.jpeg.681c01b67f97913c733aa4b33901c4cf.jpeg

I apologize if this has been covered, or may be more suited to the small questions thread...

I'm fairly new to the nicer realm of shoes/boots, but have recently started wearing Alden Indys (Chromexcel). 

How resilient are they in wet weather? I'm not planning to tromp around in puddles of mud, but I'd like not to unduly stain them or dry them out. I realize there is a camp, as with jeans, that would say, "They're boots; just wear them," but I'd surely like not to mar them prematurely, as I'm still reveling in this new-boots good feeling. 

There comes a time when white sneakers get their first wine stain, and I suppose it's to be accepted, but I'd appreciate your input. :) 

Edit: Looking at theshoemart's guide for caring for chromexcel, I'm a little apprehensive about spraying a protectant on leather, but if that's what folks do, then so be it.

Edit 2: also i should note that i'm a little embarrassed to be asking; i kind of thrashed my Red Wings, but they look the part as well.

Edited by rockon99
grammar

5 hours ago, rockon99 said:

I apologize if this has been covered, or may be more suited to the small questions thread...

I'm fairly new to the nicer realm of shoes/boots, but have recently started wearing Alden Indys (Chromexcel). 

How resilient are they in wet weather? I'm not planning to tromp around in puddles of mud, but I'd like not to unduly stain them or dry them out. I realize there is a camp, as with jeans, that would say, "They're boots; just wear them," but I'd surely like not to mar them prematurely, as I'm still reveling in this new-boots good feeling. 

There comes a time when white sneakers get their first wine stain, and I suppose it's to be accepted, but I'd appreciate your input. :) 

Edit: Looking at theshoemart's guide for caring for chromexcel, I'm a little apprehensive about spraying a protectant on leather, but if that's what folks do, then so be it.

Edit 2: also i should note that i'm a little embarrassed to be asking; i kind of thrashed my Red Wings, but they look the part as well.

Congrats on the new boots.  I haven't used any protectant on my chromexcel boots, I find the nature of chromexcel makes it pretty resilient to the elements including very wet weather (and of course very forgiving of any nicks and scuffs you get along the way). I wouldn't worry about it.  If they start to feel dry after a while, just brush them and add a little shoe scream. 

Black Chromexcel with black leather lining. Vintage stitching and brass rollers. Red dot sole so they don’t scuff up floors.  First time with the vibram 100 sole so it’s a little weird but feels ok to walk in.  Bump toe as well.

@shredwin_206Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Looks pretty good.

607C5504-FCE4-4FE2-B946-B40FC20D7806.jpeg

FEE5DE69-1D40-42D5-99CF-910FB7168188.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

I just threw down for a deposit w/ S&S for the re-run of the JL Devil's Causeway engineer boots in Shinki HH. When they were first released, I balked and always regretted it. Over the last week or two, I had been thinking about them again for some unknown reason, and then got the email Friday f/ S&S that they were doing another limited run, and I had to jump on it. I've been wanting a really good pair of engineer boots for literally years, so this is it. 

I ordered a 9, but thinking it over and comparing the size to other boots that I know, and hearing stories about how difficult they've been to get on for some folks, I decided to change the size to 9.5. I have a high arch and instep and wide forefoot, and I usually have to size up 1/2 size. I've never tried on any JL boots, and I hope the sizing works for me. I'd rather err on the larger side than smaller side, especially w/ any pull-on boot. 

And now, a 5 month wait... very excited, but in no rush! 

They are beautiful! I feel exactly the same as @beautiful_FrEaK with regards to sizing. Especially as they have a no return/exchange policy for international orders. 

I’ve been eyeing one of their leather jackets as well. When I’ll travel to Japan MOTO will be the first(and possibly last, since I’ll probably end up spending all my money there)store I’m planning to visit. 

Yes, the sizing was a bit of a gamble. I talked to a two other folks with very similar foot sizes to mine, both of whom had had good luck with the size 3 (although neither of them had tried the Oxfords in particular), so that went a ways to boost my confidence. The staff was also very helpful in describing the sizing relative to other shoes and boots.

The length sizing is spot on what I was expecting, very similar to a standard US 10.5 / UK10 / EU44. The width is significantly narrower than I’d expected, and had me pretty worried for the first few hours of wearing them around my house. After just a bit of give, I’d say they’re some of my best-fitting shoes / boots—so much so that it’s had me wondering whether I’ve maybe been overestimating the width of my feet this whole time

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Really nice boot - the u-tip proportion and finish is great. Looking at some of the other boots made by this guy there’s noticeable trait in the heft of the sole v. upper (vamp to toe).

Thanks Duke. Yes he does like very thick soles. His boots are also quite heavy.  I've gotten used to the majority modern Japanese and Indonesian versions of work boots being rather light.  These are an exception. Both of my pairs of Flame Pandas are seriously hefty. Not only are they very nicely made and finished, they feel just as tough as my Nick's,  which are closer to work boots than casual boots imo.

@dudewuttheheck seriously nice boots. IMO, best moc toe boots out there. I've been following his IG, and all of his boots are beautiful, he nailed this one. I love how all the aspects of woodsman heel, double mid-sole, 1/2 outsole and moc toe come together. Very well done, congrats.

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

@dudewuttheheck seriously nice boots. IMO, best moc toe boots out there. I've been following his IG, and all of his boots are beautiful, he nailed this one. I love how all the aspects of woodsman heel, double mid-sole, 1/2 outsole and moc toe come together. Very well done, congrats.

Thanks very much! I agree that his moc toe design is the best out there right now. I have no other moc toes, but I really wanted a pair of his. They're not subtle, but I personally think the double midsole with the half sole plus the woodsman all work together with the chunky last. Of course, I can understand some people thinking it's too much, but I love it. Plus, it was a good excuse to get a pair of At Last Co. :D

Hey ya'll, wondering if anyone could weigh in on a sizing question I've got about Clinch boots? I've dug up a fair amount of size comparisons between Clinch and other brands from this forum and some others but still curious what other folks' experience are with Clinch sizing? I'm a 7.5 both in my Rolling Dub Trio Coupens and Viberg Boondockers. I know most people say to size down a half to a full Brannock size?

21 minutes ago, SallyKolchine said:

Hey ya'll, wondering if anyone could weigh in on a sizing question I've got about Clinch boots? I've dug up a fair amount of size comparisons between Clinch and other brands from this forum and some others but still curious what other folks' experience are with Clinch sizing? I'm a 7.5 both in my Rolling Dub Trio Coupens and Viberg Boondockers. I know most people say to size down a half to a full Brannock size?

It really depends on the last. I only have owned Clinch boots on the original classic narrow last. I am a 10.5 on a brannock, and between 9.5 and 10 on a viberg 2030 last. In my Clinch horsehide and Japanese cowhide engineers, I sized up by .5 to Clinch size 11 and they fit me very well.  They're actually some of my better fitting boots.  The Latigo ones I had in size 11 were too small. I don't know if it was the leather or just an earlier version of the boot, but I unfortunately had to sell them because they were too small. 

The CN wide last and other lasts they have fit differently so make sure you base your sizing on the last, not just the maker.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, youngofthesoonest said:

...maybe it's just how high the ridges are on the ridgeway sole. 

I actually had that same thought when I first saw them. But I saw someone post a pair somewhere on IG and it was a bit less noticeable in their photos.
Definitely seems like a tall gap when just looking at the product shots.

Yeah i guess it also seems like it would not noticeable in person on your feet. Not often you’ll be looking at your boots eye level haha. I could use the extra half inch to add to my height. I feel like I’ve shrunk over the last couple years.