Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

They are beautiful! I feel exactly the same as @beautiful_FrEaK with regards to sizing. Especially as they have a no return/exchange policy for international orders. 

I’ve been eyeing one of their leather jackets as well. When I’ll travel to Japan MOTO will be the first(and possibly last, since I’ll probably end up spending all my money there)store I’m planning to visit. 

Yes, the sizing was a bit of a gamble. I talked to a two other folks with very similar foot sizes to mine, both of whom had had good luck with the size 3 (although neither of them had tried the Oxfords in particular), so that went a ways to boost my confidence. The staff was also very helpful in describing the sizing relative to other shoes and boots.

The length sizing is spot on what I was expecting, very similar to a standard US 10.5 / UK10 / EU44. The width is significantly narrower than I’d expected, and had me pretty worried for the first few hours of wearing them around my house. After just a bit of give, I’d say they’re some of my best-fitting shoes / boots—so much so that it’s had me wondering whether I’ve maybe been overestimating the width of my feet this whole time

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Really nice boot - the u-tip proportion and finish is great. Looking at some of the other boots made by this guy there’s noticeable trait in the heft of the sole v. upper (vamp to toe).

Thanks Duke. Yes he does like very thick soles. His boots are also quite heavy.  I've gotten used to the majority modern Japanese and Indonesian versions of work boots being rather light.  These are an exception. Both of my pairs of Flame Pandas are seriously hefty. Not only are they very nicely made and finished, they feel just as tough as my Nick's,  which are closer to work boots than casual boots imo.

@dudewuttheheck seriously nice boots. IMO, best moc toe boots out there. I've been following his IG, and all of his boots are beautiful, he nailed this one. I love how all the aspects of woodsman heel, double mid-sole, 1/2 outsole and moc toe come together. Very well done, congrats.

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

@dudewuttheheck seriously nice boots. IMO, best moc toe boots out there. I've been following his IG, and all of his boots are beautiful, he nailed this one. I love how all the aspects of woodsman heel, double mid-sole, 1/2 outsole and moc toe come together. Very well done, congrats.

Thanks very much! I agree that his moc toe design is the best out there right now. I have no other moc toes, but I really wanted a pair of his. They're not subtle, but I personally think the double midsole with the half sole plus the woodsman all work together with the chunky last. Of course, I can understand some people thinking it's too much, but I love it. Plus, it was a good excuse to get a pair of At Last Co. :D

Hey ya'll, wondering if anyone could weigh in on a sizing question I've got about Clinch boots? I've dug up a fair amount of size comparisons between Clinch and other brands from this forum and some others but still curious what other folks' experience are with Clinch sizing? I'm a 7.5 both in my Rolling Dub Trio Coupens and Viberg Boondockers. I know most people say to size down a half to a full Brannock size?

21 minutes ago, SallyKolchine said:

Hey ya'll, wondering if anyone could weigh in on a sizing question I've got about Clinch boots? I've dug up a fair amount of size comparisons between Clinch and other brands from this forum and some others but still curious what other folks' experience are with Clinch sizing? I'm a 7.5 both in my Rolling Dub Trio Coupens and Viberg Boondockers. I know most people say to size down a half to a full Brannock size?

It really depends on the last. I only have owned Clinch boots on the original classic narrow last. I am a 10.5 on a brannock, and between 9.5 and 10 on a viberg 2030 last. In my Clinch horsehide and Japanese cowhide engineers, I sized up by .5 to Clinch size 11 and they fit me very well.  They're actually some of my better fitting boots.  The Latigo ones I had in size 11 were too small. I don't know if it was the leather or just an earlier version of the boot, but I unfortunately had to sell them because they were too small. 

The CN wide last and other lasts they have fit differently so make sure you base your sizing on the last, not just the maker.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, youngofthesoonest said:

...maybe it's just how high the ridges are on the ridgeway sole. 

I actually had that same thought when I first saw them. But I saw someone post a pair somewhere on IG and it was a bit less noticeable in their photos.
Definitely seems like a tall gap when just looking at the product shots.

Yeah i guess it also seems like it would not noticeable in person on your feet. Not often you’ll be looking at your boots eye level haha. I could use the extra half inch to add to my height. I feel like I’ve shrunk over the last couple years. 

13 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Also just gave the MOTOs their first conditioning—they recommend every ten wears, which seems like quite a bit, but I think I’m going to try sticking to it for at least the first few months…& boy do they look good for it

EC1C3448-9F04-4D1B-B4FE-0FC2B7ED171F.thumb.jpeg.aa48a9d371fd56e0a6b0f8fdc5f4493d.jpeg

29D2D0B4-0BDA-4F5D-96DC-70DECFDDFCC8.thumb.jpeg.35ed6c9b16d99e88a50c2ad777c80e8e.jpeg

That does seem like a lot especially for shell, but they do look good!  I'm curious what specifically do they recommend for conditioning? 

Viberg x The Bureau rough out, black vibram sole reminiscent of brothel creepers

About 7/8 years old... had lots of wear but remain as tough as old boots

IMG_0561.JPG

Edited by MJF9

Dropped these Fracap boots off for a Vibram resole this week. 

Roughly 10 years old and they've been with me on hikes across Patagonia, Slovenia, Georgia and Cuba. Still comfortable and durable as ever. 

Will follow up with an update once they're resoled. 

IMG_20210528_141409.jpg

IMG_20210528_141403.jpg

@shredwin_206 Not sure if it's appropriate for construction, but I recommend Vibram's 1276 Sierra sole. I've had many boots resoled with it. It's a flat sole with no heel, which is what I want for hiking/everyday use. It can be used with a wedge if preferred. It's a hard wearing sole. The lugs aren't as deep as a traditional lug/logger tread so it doesn't get clogged up as much. It has really good traction in everything from dry dirt to snow & ice.