Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

2 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

nice to see the brogue collections representing!

on a different tack: when looking around on Yuketen vs. Russell Moccasin angle - stumbled on crashtestbrummie's instagram: that is some Yuketen collection getting built there... 

Ben is a true Yuks ambassador! 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, mlwdp said:

Do you recommend this for Horsehide?

People have different ideas about leather care, but I have always found saddle soap, used once or twice a year as needed, to work on all smooth leathers. 

Enjoying all these brogues. Here are my Sunday best. Church’s Chetwynd bought yonks ago (before prices went crazy). 

421F17A4-53DE-4E66-A6FB-84087BA2930A.thumb.jpeg.a40b1d9c98a3ad50969f96375addb9fc.jpeg
D36A932D-833C-4DEE-A3DE-4F39F8D266FF.thumb.jpeg.f0467baaed2cc2cbcafe02c07f45d923.jpeg

Edit: recalling that these with the nice inky blue LVC ‘67 505s were my go-to for ages. 

Edited by unders
Memories

Chiming in... needed a trip to the attic to find these; noticeable absence of shoe trees - must get some more

Loake tan brogue boot, often worn with pre-quake Ande Whalls

Alfred Sargent longwing brogues, used as a working shoe

Still plenty of life in these old dogs yet

20210411 Brogues.jpg

On 4/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, MJF9 said:

Chiming in... needed a trip to the attic to find these; noticeable absence of shoe trees - must get some more

Loake tan brogue boot, often worn with pre-quake Ande Whalls

Alfred Sargent longwing brogues, used as a working shoe

Still plenty of life in these old dogs yet

20210411 Brogues.jpg

very nice... keep 'em coming people

the only thing I shoe tree are my trickers...

Not sure if these sneakers qualify as shoes that look better with age. But here it is. Visvim’s first iteration of the joggers in light brown horween horsehide. Bought them nearly new, probably worn once or twice. Have been wearing them at least twice a week for 2 months. The leather is a brown colour with some reddish undertones. Pictures below. 

5224343C-5A28-485E-8788-B4B0F7D2FB25.thumb.jpeg.2473ce141d5d2fe56dd838e5cdab0dea.jpeg

B4D01F07-956B-4A89-95DD-BA269F17CC5C.thumb.jpeg.813180beeb3cb6822e450839f3bcb61c.jpeg

C8CAF9DB-413D-421A-876A-7FF1A1DD0989.thumb.jpeg.3532334860c990af3379dfb6ccc77508.jpeg

EF1BC1EA-B2F2-4909-A40A-305F17948593.thumb.jpeg.681c01b67f97913c733aa4b33901c4cf.jpeg

I apologize if this has been covered, or may be more suited to the small questions thread...

I'm fairly new to the nicer realm of shoes/boots, but have recently started wearing Alden Indys (Chromexcel). 

How resilient are they in wet weather? I'm not planning to tromp around in puddles of mud, but I'd like not to unduly stain them or dry them out. I realize there is a camp, as with jeans, that would say, "They're boots; just wear them," but I'd surely like not to mar them prematurely, as I'm still reveling in this new-boots good feeling. 

There comes a time when white sneakers get their first wine stain, and I suppose it's to be accepted, but I'd appreciate your input. :) 

Edit: Looking at theshoemart's guide for caring for chromexcel, I'm a little apprehensive about spraying a protectant on leather, but if that's what folks do, then so be it.

Edit 2: also i should note that i'm a little embarrassed to be asking; i kind of thrashed my Red Wings, but they look the part as well.

Edited by rockon99
grammar

5 hours ago, rockon99 said:

I apologize if this has been covered, or may be more suited to the small questions thread...

I'm fairly new to the nicer realm of shoes/boots, but have recently started wearing Alden Indys (Chromexcel). 

How resilient are they in wet weather? I'm not planning to tromp around in puddles of mud, but I'd like not to unduly stain them or dry them out. I realize there is a camp, as with jeans, that would say, "They're boots; just wear them," but I'd surely like not to mar them prematurely, as I'm still reveling in this new-boots good feeling. 

There comes a time when white sneakers get their first wine stain, and I suppose it's to be accepted, but I'd appreciate your input. :) 

Edit: Looking at theshoemart's guide for caring for chromexcel, I'm a little apprehensive about spraying a protectant on leather, but if that's what folks do, then so be it.

Edit 2: also i should note that i'm a little embarrassed to be asking; i kind of thrashed my Red Wings, but they look the part as well.

Congrats on the new boots.  I haven't used any protectant on my chromexcel boots, I find the nature of chromexcel makes it pretty resilient to the elements including very wet weather (and of course very forgiving of any nicks and scuffs you get along the way). I wouldn't worry about it.  If they start to feel dry after a while, just brush them and add a little shoe scream. 

Black Chromexcel with black leather lining. Vintage stitching and brass rollers. Red dot sole so they don’t scuff up floors.  First time with the vibram 100 sole so it’s a little weird but feels ok to walk in.  Bump toe as well.

@shredwin_206Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Looks pretty good.

607C5504-FCE4-4FE2-B946-B40FC20D7806.jpeg

FEE5DE69-1D40-42D5-99CF-910FB7168188.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

I just threw down for a deposit w/ S&S for the re-run of the JL Devil's Causeway engineer boots in Shinki HH. When they were first released, I balked and always regretted it. Over the last week or two, I had been thinking about them again for some unknown reason, and then got the email Friday f/ S&S that they were doing another limited run, and I had to jump on it. I've been wanting a really good pair of engineer boots for literally years, so this is it. 

I ordered a 9, but thinking it over and comparing the size to other boots that I know, and hearing stories about how difficult they've been to get on for some folks, I decided to change the size to 9.5. I have a high arch and instep and wide forefoot, and I usually have to size up 1/2 size. I've never tried on any JL boots, and I hope the sizing works for me. I'd rather err on the larger side than smaller side, especially w/ any pull-on boot. 

And now, a 5 month wait... very excited, but in no rush!