Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

That’s what I thought too as the list price is now 88,000¥...I think they were trying to charge me for domestic Japanese taxes as well as a 50 USD for PayPal payment processing. Not to mention 100 USD for shipping.

Edited by Broark

14 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

interesting that the name is dutch for maintenance [repair]: colonial histories bite deep still even when championing variance...

since the dutch were too stingy to establish a proper education system most indos now dont speak a word of dutch. but there are quite a bit of adopted dutch words in bahasa indonesia as recent viewing of holland drag race attested: kulkas, kamar, handuk, kos, lekker, etc. sometimes dutch or dutch-sounding words are still used to denote "classic" status, mostly in food (ah thats a really good ollie bollen (instead of plain donuts)). my wife's family who comes from manado in north sulawesi, stereotypically depicted in regional history as dutch collaborationists, speaks dutch at the dinner table when they dont want me to understand them :D, but way more indos speak english than dutch nowadays. interesting to note onderhoud is from bandung, a hipster holiday town with lots of nicely preserved colonial houses, which the dutch used to call "parijs van java". ive wondered if onderhoud adopted the name like some bandung businesses (sagara is also from bandung) for the olde worlde charm. tho we also have a word for affected peeps who fetishise the west/colonizers and throw dutch/english/french words here and there to appear more classy: "inlander", appropriated/reclaimed from the derogatory colonial-time dutch word for "natives". i spoke to a leather artisan friend from bandung now based in bali (PRMfg https://instagram.com/prmfg.co?igshid=13v7a5f5elzlz) and he said most of the neu bandung shoe artizans were schooled by this artist-cum-shoemaker called tegep (https://instagram.com/tegep.boots?igshid=1t74lrf0q5gvc) who died a few years ago and was more into harley/biker leather stuff. he was apparently the one who taught all the new kids how to goodyearwelt. in his later years tegep went into fashion and got his boots on hkfw runways. mooi.

Edited by oomslokop
more historical tidbits

17 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I lived in Wisconsin for 13 years and never even thought about visiting R Moc.

indeed, you never know what you've got 'til its gone... 

15 hours ago, oomslokop said:

since the dutch were too stingy to establish a proper education system most indos now dont speak a word of dutch. but there are quite a bit of adopted dutch words in bahasa indonesia as recent viewing of holland drag race attested: kulkas, kamar, handuk, kos, lekker, etc. sometimes dutch or dutch-sounding words are still used to denote "classic" status, mostly in food (ah thats a really good ollie bollen (instead of plain donuts)). my wife's family who comes from manado in north sulawesi, stereotypically depicted in regional history as dutch collaborationists, speaks dutch at the dinner table when they dont want me to understand them :D, but way more indos speak english than dutch nowadays. interesting to note onderhoud is from bandung, a hipster holiday town with lots of nicely preserved colonial houses, which the dutch used to call "parijs van java". ive wondered if onderhoud adopted the name like some bandung businesses (sagara is also from bandung) for the olde worlde charm. tho we also have a word for affected peeps who fetishise the west/colonizers and throw dutch/english/french words here and there to appear more classy: "inlander", appropriated/reclaimed from the derogatory colonial-time dutch word for "natives". i spoke to a leather artisan friend from bandung now based in bali (PRMfg https://instagram.com/prmfg.co?igshid=13v7a5f5elzlz) and he said most of the neu bandung shoe artizans were schooled by this artist-cum-shoemaker called tegep (https://instagram.com/tegep.boots?igshid=1t74lrf0q5gvc) who died a few years ago and was more into harley/biker leather stuff. he was apparently the one who taught all the new kids how to goodyearwelt. in his later years tegep went into fashion and got his boots on hkfw runways. mooi.

thanks for the in-depth articulation of this: really good to know the intricacies of history, language and practice...  where [and excuse my divergence] the present can never outrun the ghosts of the past, nor can it reclaim the devalorised pre-colonial culture, but [citing Fanon here]... “[the post colonial author / artist / maker] must go on until he has found the seething pot out of which the learning of the future will emerge”

On shoe topic: I always liked very much this portrait by Seydou Keïta from Mali from 1950s, looks like he's wearing [something like] Paraboots in his own very non French style...

image.thumb.png.2c47805f963ac93833cd8a38429f55d8.png

3 hours ago, mpukas said:

Danner can built a decent boot when they put their mind to it. 

Danner JP you mean.  These been available through Stumptown for awhile.

And they have cordovan leather models too.

11 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Danner JP you mean.  These been available through Stumptown for awhile.

And they have cordovan leather models too.

Are they made in JP, or made in US for JP market? 

So I see @BrownMetallic's post with a super nice pair of old Dayton Drivers a few days ago. I've wanted a pair for a long time. I used to wear Dayton boots (not the drivers) in the 90s, I think I went through three pairs. The Dayton story is sad given what's become of the company now. And they haven't made these for several years. But by some weird turn, I ran across a pair in my size for sale here in Canada in a Kijiji ad. They arrived today and turns out they've barely been worn. I love them. Paid $100 CAD.

Photo 2021-02-19, 18 30 59.jpg

8R8lBgq.jpg6e7a6a4.jpgYpTP6Ck.jpgCuKv19Q.jpg2 month update? 
Been working these hard 
Treated with Oregon Trail Boot Wax every two weeks   
Minor things that bug me:      
the random split in the tongue
the left boot toe box remains nice and smooth while the right creases like mad? Haha. 
HATE the wedge soles since they are way too soft   
lastly 6” is too low for a work boot. I can’t wait for the 8” version to release. 

On 1/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, julian-wolf said:

It looks like White Kloud now has a web shop with some stock boots…at a lower price than I'd expect: https://whitekloud.com/

Anyone know the scoop? Is this new, or is it just a new website for an option that's always been around? Should we expect the quality of the boots to be the same as his MTO boots, or is this maybe similar to the CSF scenario, where many products are released under the workshop's name but only some are made by the primary craftsman?

edit: Looks like the boots being offered are made to order, with production planned to begin once a certain minimum is reached—is this difference in business model enough to explain the difference in price?

Did anyone end up going for these? Really interested to know more—wasn’t super interested in the particular makeup that was offered this time around, but could def. be in if they expand their offerings in the future

Recently I've been talking myself out of new shoes as the stable is pretty full.
But I noticed that RDT is making their black horsehide Roots available in size 12 and kind of I'm tempted...
They released a neat video on the manufacturing process a few years back, worth a watch.
bf01-01_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1564827689
bf01-03_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1564827689
bf01-02_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1564827689

I think the Roots is a lovely boot - in fact I think RDT make very good footwear. I had my Vincent’s rebuilt from the semi-sprung sole to a double sole and woodsman heel otherwise the Roots would have been a definite for me a few years ago. I think @SLAB got a pair quite recently.

There’s some styles RDT make that can be difficult for some folk, but I like that they do make a wide variety instead of the basic handful that’s popular with #rugged #raw #blahblahblah aficionados 

Tried my hand at diy waxed flesh for the new red wings. Always found waxed flesh to be more durable and easy to care for than suede/roughout. Also ages great, imo, with polished bits coming through at high wear areas. Did the same to my suede loafers, and I like 'em so much more. 
Now I'm only debatting, if I'll need some kilties or not. 

IMG_20210304_162535.jpg

Edited by Thanks_M8