Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Hi guys, wanna ask about ‘Lone Wolf - Wireman Boots’ sizing.

I am currently wearing Sagara Cordmaster (42D, 9us, 27cm), Viberg 2030 last service boots (8uk/9us, 27cm), redwing iron ranger / blacksmith (8,5us, 26,5cm), Onderhoud Lace to toe boots (42D, 9us, 27cm).

What size should i pick if i want to buy Lone Wolf - Wireman? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I like what I’ve seen from Brick + Mortar Seattle and they have one of the better websites out of the major Alden retailers. I went down the Alden rabbit hole about a year ago and got some Indys in natural CXL after reading that they wouldn’t be using that leather anymore. I really want to pick up some Alden’s in the Earth Reverse Chamois leather some day soon. 

The natural CXL Indy was my first foray into nice shoes about 8 years ago and still wear them from time to time. 
Alden of Carmel has a pair of boots using the reverse tobacco chamois on the 379X last that I really like. Anyone have experience with that last? I’m pretty sure it’s been discussed here before. 
https://www.aldenofcarmel.com/alden-of-carmel-tobacco-chamois-straight-tip-boot-379x-last-747.htm

7 hours ago, Broark said:

Which US Alden retailers are putting out the most interesting makeups these days?
Started following a few JP Alden dealers and it’s drawn my interest back into the brand.

Yes! Alden of Madison has the most makeups that speak to me these days if I had to choose one. For more old school aesthetic, The Stronghold still pumps out good looks. Brogue has a couple interesting ones as well. But if you REALLY want some varied/unexpected makeups that are typically from Japanese runs, definitely stalk The Shoe Mart's Factory Seconds page (for which you have to e-mail and request to be added to). Dangerous for me as I always end up wanting to buy something when they release the next batch (every couple months or so).

Brick and Mortar is good too, but I blame them for the "Color 8 + Antique Edge + Commando soles" look that's seen on every single makeup you see these days whereas I prefer some variety (nothing wrong with cork soles, double leather, mahogany edges,  etc.) :blink:

26 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@shredwin_206 good to see mate, looking good, you’re doing well... just need to scrub them soles a bit harder next time eh :tongue:

Haha not worth it they’ll be dirty as hell in 30 minutes. 
plus I blow through these soles in like4 months anyways. Haha 

STYLE BKCXL7710LL100F (Size: Form On File)
  +9165 Last
  +Single-Tone:Black Chromexcel
  +10" Height
  +Black Leather Lining
  +#100F Vibram® Sole
  +Dye Soles and Heels Brown
  +Standard Heel Height
  +One Top Strap (standard)
  +Standard Length
  +Nordic Brass Roller Top Buckles
  +Buckled Instep Straps
  +Standard Length Instep Strap
  +Nordic Brass Roller Instep Buckles
  +Lightweight Black Vintage Upper Stitching
  +White Outsole Stitching 
  +Random Leather Insert

SPECIAL REQUESTS: Black Chromexcel
Triple vintage stitching 
9165 last

After three months of searching, I finally found a pair of Lone Wolf Farmer boots in black, size 8, which I thought would be perfect. They came in yesterday and I’m a bit gutted because they just don’t fit properly. The length feels good, maybe a touch long; the width feels alright also, but it’s the vertical height from the sole to the top of the arch that’s making these difficult to wear. I’m going to put these up for sale and look for a smaller size, but in the meantime wonder if this is a problem others have had and (hopefully) been able to solve. As mentioned these are extremely hard to come by nowadays so I’d love to be able to make them work if at all possible!

B401742A-3F3B-4C77-A7AB-F1E4EC865628.thumb.jpeg.fe6774e4f19cc65c60d71ae87ddc7b83.jpeg52DC94CB-6BF6-47BD-87D9-DAB87BB3DBF4.thumb.jpeg.680f6d0b48c5f53be8a7f8b2ac3d3a7b.jpegFA24AC9F-1102-4B77-9E4C-E5BB7D6C7055.thumb.jpeg.1c095d428f074e7408498b44d9fe4141.jpeg

1 hour ago, chicote said:

... but it’s the vertical height from the sole to the top of the arch that’s making these difficult to wear...

Can you elaborate? 

Sorry I’m not using the right terminology lol. I looked at a few diagrams and realized what I meant is that the instep is too spacious for my foot. I imagine the width of the shaft is also a contributor, I’ve only really worn lace up sneakers and boots before this so the amount of space I have from my ankle up is unexpected. An insole helped a bit but didn’t keep my foot from feeling like the boot was hanging off it each time I took a step.

7 hours ago, chicote said:

Sorry I’m not using the right terminology lol. I looked at a few diagrams and realized what I meant is that the instep is too spacious for my foot. I imagine the width of the shaft is also a contributor, I’ve only really worn lace up sneakers and boots before this so the amount of space I have from my ankle up is unexpected. An insole helped a bit but didn’t keep my foot from feeling like the boot was hanging off it each time I took a step.

By your description, it sounds like they might be too big. A photo with them on would be helpful. The photo links you put up above don't load for me so I can't see what they show. But if the instep feels sloppy and you describe the length as being a touch long, I'd say they're the wrong size. Boots like these can be difficult to size right given the lack of lacing, especially when you have to sort of guess the sizing over the internet.

@chicote It’s the nature of the beast, I’m afraid ... had the same feeling when I had my 1st engineer boots.

U need to tweak your mindset a bit, cuz u’re so used to having things laced up & secured, down there.

Concept is like wearing ur jeans slightly different from how ur used to ... loose & pulled down a bit ... or like, relaxing &  letting your hair down, so to speak :biggrin::laugh2:

edit: ... & boot socks to boot ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic