Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have two pairs of smokejumpers but wanted to try some thing different. The CXL is fine. The soles are what I’m letdown by. 
I’d never had a wedge sole before. Not ever again. Haha 

36 minutes ago, the shivman said:

Duke I agree with you about the laser perfect stitching. Overall design & shape are much more important factors to me. There is obviously a standard you should expect from a pair of higher end boots, but if you look at vintage boots none of them have perfect stitching.

But of course that’s not to say we can’t appreciate a really well made boot. There’s an art in that in itself.

15 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

But of course that’s not to say we can’t appreciate a really well made boot. There’s an art in that in itself.

For sure, I would just personally sacrifice a bit on finishing in favor of increased research & development on the last, design, & the historical component. It's easy to spot a maker who is creating designs off of a modern repros and photos vs one who has actually handled a vintage pair. One isn't better than the other, it's a just personal preference.

2 minutes ago, the shivman said:

For sure, I would just personally sacrifice a bit on finishing in favor of increased research & development on the last, design, & the historical component. It's easy to spot a maker who is creating designs off of a modern repros and photos vs one who has actually handled a vintage pair. One isn't better than the other, it's a just personal preference.

précisément

On 12/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, shredwin_206 said:

mjfA1LE.jpgwPHuN52.jpggtvrIro.jpgDfqrKnf.jpgEhSNBAq.jpg 

My whites boots I use for work. I’ve worn these for 4-5 months 
I’m a commercial plumber so I’m walking on concrete 40-60hrs a week. 
The soles were a letdown. They are completely useless already and at this point a safety issue if I can’t get traction. 
Debating who to send them to for a re sole. I will be adding a low heel and lug sole. No more wedge sole junk for me. 

Wedge soles were a let down for work? First time I’ve heard this.  I take that back, I’ve heard some say they were good and some say bad.  Just depends.

@mlwdp like I said the wedge is very comfortable but that comes with a sacrifice in durability. They’re super soft and squishy. 
These are vibram soles. I hear that the soles redwing are different and that thorogood also have a different compound for their wedge soles. Which will last longer. 
Also take into account what I do. I walk 40-60hra a week on concrete and pavement. 
some other trades are walking around on steel or rebar all day. That will not wear them down as quickly. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:35 AM, shredwin_206 said:

I have two pairs of smokejumpers but wanted to try some thing different. The CXL is fine. The soles are what I’m letdown by. 
I’d never had a wedge sole before. Not ever again. Haha 

You need some Nick's Builder Pros, tougher than White's! 

On 12/7/2020 at 1:07 AM, hurhur said:

Hi everyone,

An update on my flamepanda aka Peng’s short shift engineers. They were unsealed and untreated natural horsehide, and they attracted dirt like magnets. They were glorious to look at when they were new, but I would not consider the dirt and wear they picked up as ‘patina’. Did not really like how they aged. 
So I got caught in a huge thunderstorm recently wearing these boots. Being the leather they were, they soaked up the water like a sponge. After air drying for a few days, they still were darker than the original colour. So I decided why not, and just decided to clean and condition them, accepting that they probably would not get back to their original colour. After some conditioner and wax, these are what they look like now. I kind of like how they look, and you can see the marks and nicks that was inflicted on the boots. 

F59B9568-228E-4174-BBC4-0D3E88F6351A.thumb.jpeg.d5515df52d1aca3c44a2eecf4c999c02.jpeg

519F8419-8E8D-41B8-9D39-7A6E0A3A768B.thumb.jpeg.cfe049cc27664d5ee643856a49e124fd.jpeg

B6E0F960-B3F9-4926-9158-034A3AF9358C.thumb.jpeg.549f698cda49fdc1d46f1720f16c92bd.jpeg

571D5DE7-7121-4685-B668-A12406A59311.thumb.jpeg.20807dd9884e4530083048c89c2d800d.jpeg

They look great!  I think this is exactly what supposed to happen with natural leather.

10 hours ago, tod said:

They look great!  I think this is exactly what supposed to happen with natural leather.

Thanks! Haven't gotten a chance to wear them since. will post updates if any.

9 hours ago, JFan said:

@hurhurI love how those have darken. What last are those? Ive thinking of getting a pair for the last month

They are the 181 Last. 

I know we've been piling on Lofgren lately (rightfully so after the comments that were made) but these new Chelsea boots look nice.
Funny, I mentioned to Jeremy from S&S that I'd like JL to develop a Chelsea boot months ago and here they are.
Available in timber, olive and black. I'm personally fond of the timber CXL like the Combat boots I have.
lk-027-tmbr-6_600x.jpg?v=1607836510

A storm in a teacup that was generated by a bit of thoughtlessness most likely didn’t disappoint me, but unfortunately these Chelsea Boots do, as did the Glover Brogues ... and as did the Moc Toes (because I’m not a fan of those). The Chelsea and Glovers are styles I’ve grown up with and sadly a lump of CXL on his standard midsole is all starting to look a bit regressive.

Probably as well finished and as comfortable as everything else he’s issued - but meh ...

3 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

...sadly a lump of CXL on his standard midsole is all starting to look a bit regressive.

I do agree with this point, I was hoping for some more interesting leather options.
I'm not a fan of duplicating leathers that I own, and since I already have the Combat boots in Timber I'll likely pass.

I've leaned toward the RDTs in the past and would likely go that way if I can find a size 12 (I think Tempo is offering them in size 12 and I prefer the more bulbous silhouette).
But I'm also happy with my recently purchased Arpenteur x Paraboot Chelsea boots, so it's likely that I won't be buying anything for awhile.