Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

8 minutes ago, persco_ said:

That's what I was thinking. I've had an order with him pending since June. I hope my turn comes up soon...

I’m curious what his pricing structure is like if y’all don’t mind sharing. Last thing I need is another pair of boots, not in the market anyways but would still like to know.

@Broark yep, looking forward to a pair of service boots in black horse butt, should be a great time all around

Price, at least as of the time of my order, seems to be flat across most styles (maybe more for engineer boots?) but dependent on leather—these were $685 shipped

I own Flame Panda and Lofgren boots and love both. 

Personally, I really love Flame Panda's work. Peng (the owner) is a very nice guy and pricing is pretty competitive in my opinion given how high quality the product is. He also posts my favorite instagram stories because he posts about his local cuisine and cultural festivals and things like that which is fantastic. 

@Broark to more directly answer the pricing question:

My monkey boots from Flame Panda made with Maryam vegetable tanned horsehide were $685. This includes hand welted construction and hand sewn midsole/outsole stitching as well. His shop is just him and his immediate family so I think there's only a couple or three people actually making the boots.

To me, that's a pretty fantastic price. The quality is pretty high in my opinion. The only boots I own that I can say are made even more nicely are my White Klouds.

He has quite a few other leather options as well. Quite a few horsehides and cowhides from Italy and Horween as well as several cordovan options as well.

I think cordovan boots can be over $1,000- $1,500 with the Horween horsehide costing the most. I think if you got my same boots with CXL, they would be less money. I'm not sure how much less, but the leather swings the price quite a bit.

@julian-wolfis right and engineers are slightly more money, but less than $100 more... maybe only around $50 more or something like that. The leather and whether or not you get norwegian stitching makes a bigger difference in the price than the boot style.

Sounds like an ad, but I really am thrilled with my boots. I already have another pair on order and I don't make second orders often.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

7 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I don’t think it’s ever been any secret that Lofgren holds weirdly strong views against Chinese sourcing & manufacturing

or

It’s true that his past comments have probably gone beyond what’s justified, but I hardly think it’s fair to conflate a distrust of Chinese & Indonesian manufacturing in general with any sort of hard feelings towards the cultures or the people—there’s an undeniable history of low quality, mass-produced goods coming from these countries, and we can’t all go around proudly touting our MiJ & MiUSA goods without recognizing that that designation comes with the implication that MiC goods are, on average, expected to be worse

I don’t really see where Lofgren’s coming from here, or why he bothers with that whole schtick, but the person responding also kinda just seems like they’re getting offended for the sake of getting offended, which annoys the hell out of me

(I say this all as someone who currently has a pair of boots on order from China for which I’m extremely excited, and which I expect to be right on par with my Lofgrens in terms of both construction & materials)

Think you hit the nail on the head , the things I’ve seen about John Lofgrons views on ethical production are very admirable  , and his distain for Chinese production is more than likely based on the exploitation of low paid workers 

think the intent of the hashtags were just misunderstood 

Edited by Flash

Being offended isn’t a personality trait but not everyone got that memo.

For me personally I try to avoid buying things mass-produced in China because the line between most medium and large business and government there is blurred. I live in Taiwan, and China is trying to conquer us and turn Taiwan from a democracy into another province of China’s one-party authoritarian police state, so the last thing I want to do is support that.

similar to other 'personalities' in design and fashion, lofgren has always struck me as someone with a fairly significant ego. i'm not offended by his post, but i can completely understand why a chinese or indonesian fan of his would be.

Edited by conqueror

8 hours ago, Broark said:

I’m curious what his pricing structure is like if y’all don’t mind sharing. Last thing I need is another pair of boots, not in the market anyways but would still like to know.

Others have already answered, but mine are Cloe horse butt natural leather for $685. Cordovan would have been around $1000.

13 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I don’t really see where Lofgren’s coming from here, or why he bothers with that whole schtick, but the person responding also kinda just seems like they’re getting offended for the sake of getting offended, which annoys the hell out of me

Must be a constant challenge to live where you live... ;)

Duke I agree with you about the laser perfect stitching. Overall design & shape are much more important factors to me. There is obviously a standard you should expect from a pair of higher end boots, but if you look at vintage boots none of them have perfect stitching.

mjfA1LE.jpgwPHuN52.jpggtvrIro.jpgDfqrKnf.jpgEhSNBAq.jpg 

My whites boots I use for work. I’ve worn these for 4-5 months 
I’m a commercial plumber so I’m walking on concrete 40-60hrs a week. 
The soles were a letdown. They are completely useless already and at this point a safety issue if I can’t get traction. 
Debating who to send them to for a re sole. I will be adding a low heel and lug sole. No more wedge sole junk for me.