Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

1 hour ago, robotbox said:

@bartlebyyphonicswhere did you pick up your suede russell chukkas?  I saw them in a fit pic you posted and they look fantastic.  

if you wear a small size it's worth to have a look for a second hand pair on yahoo.jp, plenty of them floating around, in the cool[er] JP makeups too.

@indigoeagle I agree that true to size is correct. I’m also a EU 44, I bought the Michael’s in 43.5, and they were painfully tight. The big toe on my left foot was also touching the front of the shoe. I exchanged them for a 44, and my toe was no longer touching the front, but the shoe was crushing the widest part of my foot. I was going to sell them, likely for a loss, until I read a review somewhere and the reviewer said the break in process was awful. After two weeks of regretting not just selling them because it seemed like they just didn’t fit and wouldn’t break in, they were suddenly comfortable. The left foot is still a wee bit more snug than the right, but it still feels pretty good. I’m surprised at how much the leather stretched- though the outsole breaking in may have had something to do with it, they had what seemed like no flex at all the first few days. I’m happy I stuck with them, I’m really starting to like them.

13 hours ago, robotbox said:

@bartlebyyphonicswhere did you pick up your suede russell chukkas?  I saw them in a fit pic you posted and they look fantastic.  

thank you; got them off the shelf when superdenim (the shop, not the website) had a brick and mortar site in London (with real mccoys) and they had a few variations... double select seem to sell them off the shelf in uk too but very limited options ... if you are US based, my advice would be find some examples and get in touch with them to build that spec. [their own versions seem less adventurous than those on the Japanese sites... ] they are in Berlin Wisconsin, that now infamous swing state... [I think the county they are in were pretty red through and through though]

12 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

if you wear a small size it's worth to have a look for a second hand pair on yahoo.jp, plenty of them floating around, in the cool[er] JP makeups too.

indeed, sz 9 seems the biggest... the one time I was in Japan drunken salarymen would point at my size 10.5UK gaijin feet in exclamation ...

that said, off the shelf rm advice seems to be (as with redwing) get a 1/2 size smaller: ie I have a US 11 D

For Russell Mocs, if you can get the model number from one of the japanese make ups, you can get them remade directly from Russell as a custom order. I got a pair custom made years ago, pics in this thread somewhere. They were very easy to deal with and the possibilities are pretty endless. I am going to wear mine tomorrow!

6936D50C-9017-4D58-9F87-9AF2E7379ABD.thumb.jpeg.573079e2d724cab88b0a765ba093b1bf.jpeg

2B32D271-6E76-46A9-873D-029A91A2DFF4.thumb.jpeg.d4828239cae581b0987fbbe9f5c86dfe.jpeg

C0268C67-1F22-4EB6-BE61-B201883B84AA.thumb.jpeg.5a4f8b313f6ebe7275fcaf23a9694f5e.jpeg

Not sure how you guys think of Visvim, these come from the FW12 collection. Made from Horween bison if I’m not wrong. Got these during the 11.11 sale on Rakuten and had a 10% off. These came with full of pet’s hair and scuffs. Gave them a good clean and conditioning and they look great and well worn in already. The sole looks like they can go on for another few years before a resole. 

I posted about those back in 2012 and they weren’t well received here then.  Basically, it was compared to Wesco.  I even received down votes for posting it.

The Poundmaker.  Sounds like a large American Burger special.

Here are a few photos of these truman boots I got around four years ago. They're waxed flesh, I think from horween, and i've never treated the leather to my knowledge. Does anyone with more knowledge about this sort of leather feel like I should? I'm curious about other peoples' experiences with waxed flesh in general. I know it was kind of a trendy thing back in the day and that's largely what motivated this purchase but I don't feel like I have seen many photos of this sort of leather as it ages.

javawax.thumb.jpg.4f6afc86587cf5f973bad4acdc3576dd.jpgjavawax-3.thumb.jpg.e25328160af76a892d22ea9a15b4dfb7.jpgjavawax-2.thumb.jpg.cd5d6466acf0e3aeec4a67c6d66ee40a.jpg

As an aside, strongly considering buying a pair of Lone Wolf boots this week, deciding between the Farmers, Carpenters and Mechanics - I'll update with some photos when they come in!

Not really in keeping with the styles on here but...

I bought these Visvim Laramie Folk 5+ years ago for a summer break that never happened... worn only a few times... and they have lived in their shoe bag, in the box ever since

Seems a waste... if you're interested, DM me 

20201115 Visvim 0.jpg

20201115 Visvim 1.jpg

^^^^ & ^ Russell Mocs and Wesco: Ed lives!

1 hour ago, Signet said:

we are working with wesco to release  vegetable tanned leather in 6-7oz weight  next year ! samples will come in around feb 2021 well announce soon!

intriguing...  jobmasters with Vibram 700? or something dr sole-ish? not their chukka's pls!