Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

6C0D0B47-F09F-42C7-BAB4-7F59AE4AA218.thumb.jpeg.957b919d3d35fd8e989a75325d674627.jpeg

Just got my flamepanda boots in this evening. Sorry for the dim photo. Size 8 in his 181 last fits exactly like my Motor Engineers size 8. First impression of the horse leather on these is that it is almost as thick, but not as stiff as other horsehides I own, but it is a hefty boot. Chromexcel pouch is a small gift from him. 

Edited by hurhur

Hello everyone, let me preface this by saying I don’t know jack shit about boots compared to you all. I have a question regarding a pair of OSB trench boots I received recently. I’ve had two pairs before in the past, no issues. I loved the elston last, and hate fussing with buying shoes online. Much harder for me to nail down than denim. So knowing that I like the last a knew my size I ordered this new pair. 
Anyway, I received them Saturday with what looks like serious gaps around the welt revealing the stitching. I asked the folks on the GYW reddit and I was told to send them back; contacted OSB and was told that the leather will relax and at that point stitching won’t be visible. Sounds a bit like I’m being had. What do you folks think? See pics 

703D9087-6F9B-4311-8714-BC03931C3C3E.jpeg

47078166-3FC8-40E4-82A1-2288C50D79AF.jpeg

D114196C-0B6A-4182-9D41-FB1207100408.jpeg

71840CFD-5328-4A78-9D20-21753F28BB08.jpeg

04C978D8-B126-400D-94A0-23D971FC9E52.jpeg

On 9/14/2020 at 12:18 AM, Thanks_M8 said:

^ the lasts I tried (got a pair of oxford and a pair of tyroleans, thuya or something) are on the long and narrow side, imo

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the only ones I'm interested in are built on the Odeon last, and I'm not sure what the differences are...

15 hours ago, persco_ said:

^^ They might be right, but I've never had a pair of boots that looked like that, and I've owned many pairs of goodyear welted boots from different makers (never Oak Street though). Looks like sloppy stitching.

I’m kind of on the fence. If it’s just sloppy and will disappear with wear, I can live with it. If it’s going to leak water through, or make it harder to resole down the way, they have to go back. OSB assured me that it wouldn’t affect structural integrity, but if they send pairs out off the line like this and don’t see anything wrong with it, I don’t think I can take their word for it. 

Edited by SuperJackle

I had a pair of Chippewa arctic boots that had GYW stitching like that. I sent pics to Kyle at Baker's and asked his opinion, and he said send them back. So I did, and found another pair that didn't have that issue. 

Finally got a chance to take photos of flamepanda’s boot in natural light. The texture of the raw horsehide is insane. The leather has an almost velvety texture that you can see the knap when you run your finger across it. You can also see the imperfections on the horsehide, which is a plus point for me. Flamepanda did a superb job with the norvegese stitch. Very clean job on the mid soles, which I have also used some boot wax to polish up. Last photo is a comparison with my natural horsehide RDT Roots after on-off ~6 months of wear. The RDTs has darkened up quite a bit. Didn’t notice until the comparison shot A9928029-D849-4202-8B2A-5A96417C8F20.thumb.jpeg.c36bb9e9d4eb7e3561d1336eaea81630.jpeg

507D96C4-E34E-4F32-9897-C96DD6DECB5D.thumb.jpeg.fe068ea18a186cf6c127983dc3487113.jpeg

7B89436A-69B5-48FE-A5E6-53730BDB05D3.thumb.jpeg.b89745afda6f2092381f92c2ee4abd7a.jpeg

262546A8-7108-4DBE-A8B1-615958599CA2.thumb.jpeg.f08a34ce77a7b0ace29f46b931ae534c.jpeg

3EA810B9-33E5-4E8A-8B4F-B6A09A7B3847.thumb.jpeg.60ddde5698351a2aa751cfd60dec224a.jpeg

On 9/15/2020 at 9:05 PM, MJF9 said:

It might even become more apparent with wear and it'll then probably be harder to return them.  They're not cheap boots either. No excuses for the sloppy stitching. I think you can expect better.  I vote return them.    

agreeing with this...

@SuperJackle that looks pretty unacceptable - might take it from a lower price point, but not from the mid / higher end...

@spidereye - yesyesyes for the vintage find! top work! 

@hurhur ... I never knew raw horsehide would be so appealing...

Just got a pair of Fracaps in! Thanks again to @sensy and @Elmer.Richard for sharing their pairs & making me aware of the brand

These'll be pretty much exclusively used for hiking, but not until after I've worn them walking around town for at least a few days to be sure they're comfortable & somewhat broken-in

cG1PMy2.jpg

H4zPRed.jpg

cBpYONA.jpg

No off-foot photos, yet…maybe once they've seen some actual wear

So RE the Oak Street boots; after some debate with the operations manager(not much, but some push back), I exchanged for another identical pair. The new pair are much better. I think because they contract out to other makers, it’s harder for them to QC properly. Still though, the boots aren’t drop-shipped, and they should pull a pair with shitty stitching before it leaves their HQ. 

11 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Just got a pair of Fracaps in! Thanks again to @sensy and @Elmer.Richard for sharing their pairs & making me aware of the brand

These'll be pretty much exclusively used for hiking, but not until after I've worn them walking around town for at least a few days to be sure they're comfortable & somewhat broken-in

cG1PMy2.jpg

H4zPRed.jpg

cBpYONA.jpg

No off-foot photos, yet…maybe once they've seen some actual wear

Nice Fracaps. I like the color and that welt too.

i've had my RW 8138s in 11D for a little over a year now and love them. unfortunately, the right boot is slightly too small in the toebox against my pinky toe after a few hours of wear.

would sizing up to an 11.5D resolve the issue? the EE widths are borderline impossible to source where i'm located (australia) and no one appears to ship them here either. i've also read EE is only wider at the heel of the shoe, and the toebox is essentially the same. is this accurate?

edit: i don't have much experience with boots in general, but i'm typically a US12 in most sneakers.
Edited by conqueror