Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

1 minute ago, Broark said:

Let's see some photos! It seems like this might be the only chance to order RDT since size 12 is made to order, so I feel like I need to capitalize on the situation.

To be clear, the other shoes I've bought have been Carmina custom cordovans - in green and in natural - and a pair of Nick's custom Comstocks, and Church's brogues (which I just had redone by Dr. Sole.... No RDT's yet...

I'll work on a couple of photos of the above if folks are interested.

Whoops, you're right. I read too quickly. :D
Those all seem like brands that are relevant to this thread, specifically interested in seeing the Comstocks. Those are some shoes I've looked at in the past.

19 minutes ago, persco_ said:

To be clear, the other shoes I've bought have been Carmina custom cordovans - in green and in natural - and a pair of Nick's custom Comstocks, and Church's brogues (which I just had redone by Dr. Sole.... No RDT's yet...

I'll work on a couple of photos of the above if folks are interested.

I'd love to see pics of all of those! 

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Whoops, you're right. I read too quickly. :D
Those all seem like brands that are relevant to this thread, specifically interested in seeing the Comstocks. Those are some shoes I've looked at in the past.

56 minutes ago, mpukas said:

I'd love to see pics of all of those! 

Okay! I'll work on some photos...

Here's a few photos. Nick's Comstock in black seidel, Nick's Robert's in Horween Dublin Tan, Nick's Hawk Americanas in brown horse hide, Carmina custom oxfords in natural cordovan, Carmina custom derby's in green cordovan, and finally a pair of Church's Grafton brogues redone with Dr. Sole welt and olive cork soles.

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 50 18.jpg

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 52 36.jpg

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 53 08.jpg

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 55 11.jpg

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 54 24.jpg

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 57 06.jpg

7 minutes ago, Broark said:

Very nice collection! I like both of those Nick’s, I haven’t seen too many worn examples of their boots. 

Thanks. I love Nick's. My first pair was the Horween Dublin Roberts. I've had them about 6 years now. The second pair was the brown horse hide Hawks. I wore those all over the world for the last three years. Back when that was a thing people did.

My current favourites are the Comstocks. Killer to break in, but they're getting comfy after three months. I like them because they don't look like anything else on other people's feet. And they're more like very low cut boots rather than shoes. The Carminas are the most comfortable, but they're mainly my work shoes. I love the Dr. Sole brogues, too. Those guys really know what they're doing.

12 hours ago, Ar_thor said:

Both Stan and Coupen are great. I really like the thought of Chelsea boots but had a hard time something that fitted into my wardrobe before I ran into the Stand.

Just to be clear though - they do fit big so sz 12 will be massive. I generally wear US 11 in sneakers and 10 in Stan and 9.5 in Coupens (which probably are tad too tight in a couple of spots).

Edit: I'd say sizing is pretty similar to Lofgrens, especially Donkey Punchers.

also seconding the coupens fit a bit big. noticeably so in "volume".

I can only confirm that RDT fits big; im a size 8 in White's, Red Wing, Viberg (2030) and Alden. I can only wear the size 8 Casper boots with a thick leather insole. Quality is superb though 

6 hours ago, MJF9 said:

@persco_ superb collection... really like the ageing on the Hawk Americanas and that green cordovan is lovely 

Thanks. The Hawk's took a year to break in with almost daily use. Reminds me of breaking in a pair of Limmer hiking boots (which I also own). But they're now incredibly comfortable. I've resoled them three times I think, but the uppers just go and go.

I like the green cordovans, but I think I'll like 'em even more after they get a lot more use. They still feel too new looking to me.

13 hours ago, persco_ said:

Here's a few photos. Nick's Comstock in black seidel, Nick's Robert's in Horween Dublin Tan, Nick's Hawk Americanas in brown horse hide, Carmina custom oxfords in natural cordovan, Carmina custom derby's in green cordovan, and finally a pair of Church's Grafton brogues redone with Dr. Sole welt and olive cork soles.

Photo 2020-08-25, 16 50 18.jpg

Yes indeed..

3 hours ago, Ar_thor said:

@Broark I had a look around Barnstormer for other reasons and it looks like they have a pair of black Coupens in size 12 stocked.

Yup, that's the only place I've ever seen any RDT shoes in size 12! I was looking at those for awhile, but I think I'd get more wear out of a Coupen in a brown leather.
Right now I'm more set on a pair of the Stan Chelsea boots, and then depending on pricing I might also get a pair of Coupens.

Flamepanda just sent me pictures of my completed boots. Untreated horsehide from the Cloe Tannery. I’ve been so tempted to get a second pair from him, but I was trying to hold off till I am able to receive these from him. If these are sized good, I’ll go for a second pair. I don’t mind the wait. 

FEFEB029-10ED-47CE-B0B9-5F58826D95BF.jpeg

B4461B56-0568-4477-9714-7B057D6EF6F8.jpeg

E3F0A740-DD2D-4FA5-81F8-E1139969ED05.jpeg

D6EC650E-765F-4E95-9EF5-D809ADBCA20D.jpeg

D5EC8A9A-7ECE-4258-B066-DDCF90675B24.jpeg

7 hours ago, hurhur said:

Flamepanda just sent me pictures of my completed boots. Untreated horsehide from the Cloe Tannery. I’ve been so tempted to get a second pair from him, but I was trying to hold off till I am able to receive these from him. If these are sized good, I’ll go for a second pair. I don’t mind the wait. 

These look amazing. I'm on his waiting list for a pair of boots right now. Ordered them a few months ago. I'd be interested in knowing how he sized these for you. We've discussed leather and style, sole, etc. But haven't done the sizing yet.

11 hours ago, persco_ said:

These look amazing. I'm on his waiting list for a pair of boots right now. Ordered them a few months ago. I'd be interested in knowing how he sized these for you. We've discussed leather and style, sole, etc. But haven't done the sizing yet.

I sure hope they fit well! I gave him information on the shoe sizes of the other various brands such as Viberg, Alden etc...

1 minute ago, hurhur said:

I sure hope they fit well! I gave him information on the shoe sizes of the other various brands such as Viberg, Alden etc...

Okay thanks. I wonder if Brannock device size will be helpful to him. Otherwise it can be a bit of a crap shoot. Shoe sizes for me have ranged all over depending on the shoe... But good to know how he approaches sizing. Thanks again.