Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How's sizing on White's? Looking at their 353CH hiker, in particular. I wear a 10.5 in RW Heritage, a 10.0 in RW Weekender, a 9.5 in Lofgren. Feet are on the wide side of normal, but very low-volume.

I know that my best bet would be sending tracings in either direct to them or to Baker's, but White's has a pair up on their eBay page that I'm eyeing…

Been after a new pair of all-leather hiking boots for a while now; thought I'd settled on Scarpa only to find out that they were no longer making their leather models, so here we are

@julian-wolf sizing is pretty easy. 
I never dealt with custom tracings. 
I’d like to someday but I fit perfectly in an 8D in my smokejumpers and these 4q69 boots. 
I am a 7.5D in RW Heritage, 8.0 in converse and 8D in whites 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:58 PM, julian-wolf said:

How's sizing on White's? Looking at their 353CH hiker, in particular. I wear a 10.5 in RW Heritage, a 10.0 in RW Weekender, a 9.5 in Lofgren. Feet are on the wide side of normal, but very low-volume.

I know that my best bet would be sending tracings in either direct to them or to Baker's, but White's has a pair up on their eBay page that I'm eyeing…

Been after a new pair of all-leather hiking boots for a while now; thought I'd settled on Scarpa only to find out that they were no longer making their leather models, so here we are

I've found white's to fit a whole size larger than other shoes. I wear 11.5B in Red Wing pecos boots, and 10.5B in white's. I think it might have something to do with the way the arch is - shortening the foot. If you have access to a brannock device, White's measures your feet with you sitting down. They rest the brannock device on a fitting stool and you just put your foot on it like normal 

image.thumb.png.cf1c074af8f4efb9b00f2d8ce0c721d1.png

this is the fitting stool I'm talking about. 

Thanks, both—great info, even if conflicting

That's interesting that they use a Brannock device without weight on it; I'm honestly pretty skeptical of how useful that would be in practice, but the knowledge that they do so will be really helpful

I think I may send out for tracings and go that route—making sure I get a good fit seems well worth the extra $100 and change over buying through eBay

Never heard of Fracap before, but the M120 seems like just what I’ve been looking for for the last couple of years now—similar styling to the Mountain Light, but with a lower profile

@elmer_richard, have yours seen much in the way of water / mud? Are they reasonably water resistant? Conversely, do they breath okay? Around how quickly do they dry out?

21 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

@elmer_richard, have yours seen much in the way of water / mud? Are they reasonably water resistant? Conversely, do they breath okay? Around how quickly do they dry out?

A friend in the US got these for me in 2015. She bought this from End. I have worn this during my travels and I have used this in hiking so they have their fair share of rain and mud exposure. I just brush and then wipe this with a damp cloth. It helps take out the water marks. The leather is not oily. It dries out pretty quick, say about a couple hours. 

William Lennon is great quality for the price. Much better than Red Wing which is in a similar price range. 

Edit: Ah, Duke beat me to it. And just to be clear, the first pair you linked to will probably disintegrate while still in the mail.

Edited by Ar_thor

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

^ I don’t know anything about the boots you posted but the William Lennon boots are built like tanks, they’ll last a very long time

Yes, ‘had  feet battled w/a pair of “Tug Of War” for a year .... the boots won.

So a few months ago I emailed Rolling Dub Trio to see if I could order their Stan Chelsea boot in size 12, no response.
Today I emailed Tempo Design Store to see if they could special order them and they said I could around October.
I'll likely go with the Stan in brown and maybe a pair of Coupens as well...

47 minutes ago, Broark said:

So a few months ago I emailed Rolling Dub Trio to see if I could order their Stan Chelsea boot in size 12, no response.
Today I emailed Tempo Design Store to see if they could special order them and they said I could around October.

Both Stan and Coupen are great. I really like the thought of Chelsea boots but had a hard time something that fitted into my wardrobe before I ran into the Stand.

Just to be clear though - they do fit big so sz 12 will be massive. I generally wear US 11 in sneakers and 10 in Stan and 9.5 in Coupens (which probably are tad too tight in a couple of spots).

Edit: I'd say sizing is pretty similar to Lofgrens, especially Donkey Punchers.

Edited by Ar_thor

2 hours ago, Broark said:

I've been drooling over the Coupens for a couple of months now... The best site I've found for them is The Boots Shop Online. If I hadn't bought 4 pairs of shoes so far this year, I'd get 'em. I've ordered a pair of linemen/donkey punchers from Flame Panda, too. My wife doesn't know it yet, lol. But those Coupens..... :)

5 minutes ago, persco_ said:

I've been drooling over the Coupens for a couple of months now... The best site I've found for them is The Boots Shop Online. If I hadn't bought 4 pairs of shoes so far this year, I'd get 'em. I've ordered a pair of linemen/donkey punchers from Flame Panda, too. My wife doesn't know it yet, lol. But those Coupens..... :)

Let's see some photos! It seems like this might be the only chance to order RDT since size 12 is made to order, so I feel like I need to capitalize on the situation.