Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

50 minutes ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

really? just tink a little bit....

theyr feeding the troll because theyr bored and i understand with this lockdown shite but a few f them are just feeling too inseure 

you could've just explained yourself instead of taking a passive aggressive swipe that explains nothing

now i did think you posting your shoes was kind of funny at forst but that could only last so long

44 minutes ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

internet is a serious business. 

thats deeper than Seneca

s'okay
part of a long historical collective bad joke about people being wrong on the internet ...

it'll all be okay, all shoes are cool...

putting the boot in here to show some good faith for the thread...

[have been mink oiling the vamp but leaving the shaft well alone ... read that how you will dear sirs...]

image.thumb.png.30faeb4a1bba02870f7a8357f13ccf0b.png

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

29 minutes ago, DoitsuJin said:

you could've just explained yourself instead of taking a passive aggressive swipe that explains nothing

now i did think you posting your shoes was kind of funny at forst but that could only last so long

Bang on. I need to work more on production and aim a new direction. Making the same song isn’t cool. Thanks for the feedback. 

Continuing on the diffusion theme....

Here's my line up -

20200710_152451.thumb.jpg.6aed57ca67057c03230760d683760d1c.jpg

^Old work boots (Buckler "hard as nails" steel toe and midsole). Probably lasted 3 years.

20200710_152507.thumb.jpg.76f1c2fbd3db4a4e3b865182036dcc00.jpg

^current work boots. This the 5th pair of Bucklers  l've worn in the last 12-13 years.  Goodyear welted and very waterproof as far as non gortex work boots go - but after 3 or 4 years they are totally shagged.

I like wearing them at work because our uniform has changed from blue to black, and our boss hates 'earthy colours' mixed in (l wear a caramel colour Hollows belt ;) ). He keeps asking me why l keep buying brown boots when l know the uniform is black, but l smile inside and think of that song from Sing Street.

Plus they are leather and gain a great patina imo.

20200710_152602.thumb.jpg.ae41e81762540b39efa6ec6a92f7331a.jpg

^These are my general all rounders. Dickies dealer steel toe.  Buy a pair of these every 5 years or so for 30-40 quid.

I wear these the majority of non-work time, in the garden and doing odd jobs around the house. The reason l love them is you can just easily take them off without the need for hands.

20200710_152615.thumb.jpg.1eaba5b3671383eea2d3fe2a22851169.jpg

^ Palladiums. These are for best/non work.

First had a pair of these when Kibbutzing in Israel back in the late 1980's (they were given to us as standard workwear for free) and loved them.  Had a major foot op (both feet) last year so these 'parachute' soles definately help.

They are starting to get a nice bit of aging on them although as usual my crappy phone pics probably won't pick that up <_<

Edited by Dr_Heech
Because I keep forgetting stuff

In an effort to get the thread back on track, here's an update on my JL Devil's Causeway boots. Haven't worn them lately, just too hot.
Might treat them with something before next Fall, or might just keep wearing them. Not sure yet.
ddjM5kL.jpg
oOfUSEJ.jpg
4TtRyIP.jpg
cXxMzJ6.jpg
ccdJ3H2.jpg
zGcOIwy.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

^ Palladiums. These are for best/non work.

First had a pair of these when Kibbutzing in Israel back in the late 1980's (they were given to us as standard workwear for free) and loved them.  Had a major foot op (both feet) last year so these 'paraboot' soles definately help.

They are starting to get a nice bit of aging on them although as usual my crappy phone pics probably won't pick that up <_<

I do like Palladiums 

The ones l posted above are ok and very comfortable after said op. But they have changed(and 'cheapened') ..quelle suprisé on the more recent model, so the sole is now made of paper kitchen towel. I have an unworn green pair in the back of the cupboard which will never be worn by me.

Got these recently but haven't worn them as yet (hey.. nowhere to go :laugh:) - they looked more solid and the canvas looked thicker on the ebay photos, but alas, the entire shoe is made of kitchen towel so.... fashion before function :(

1594400426585746929.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech

6 minutes ago, Broark said:

@mlwdp nope, still pretty difficult...part of why I don’t wear them in the summer. They require some work to get on/off.

You could either keep them or sell them.  Don’t know if you’d be willing to have them altered as the leather lining plays a role in yours.  They’re not going to get easier to wear if you don’t wear them enough though.

I’m selling my Wesco Boss.  Nothing is wrong with them, I just want them leather lined and these can’t be Rebuilt to do it.  My error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NDS-HORSEHIDE-WESCO-ENGINEER-BOOT-SZ-6D/203043993574?pageci=a90eebc3-8b05-4831-85a4-5cc9bc1af02d

5CAD06D1-09D3-42AF-A053-B5040B8C2434.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

58 minutes ago, Broark said:

Damn, I need some Clinch boots...

They're fantastic. But a tough pill to swallow now that they're pushing $2000 US.  These were about $1200 when I picked them up from Pancho and Lefty.  I would love to have a pair of Clinch lace up or yeager boots in horsebutt, but I couldn't justify the price so I picked up some Wescos in Horween horsehide with naildown construction.  I'm confident they're not nearly as nice as the Clinch would be, but I don't have any regrets. 

31 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

You could either keep them or sell them.  Don’t know if you’d be willing to have them altered as the leather lining plays a role in yours.  They’re not going to get easier to wear if you don’t wear them enough though.

I don't think I'm ready to part with them yet, once they're on they fit like a dream. It's just the process of getting them on and off...that's a different story.

19 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

Cool. I foresee a pair of second hand pair of engineers coming my way one day ;)

Are you a size 12 in Lofgren's? If so I'll keep you in mind. :D

13 minutes ago, Least Weasel said:

They're fantastic. But a tough pill to swallow now that they're pushing $2000 US.  These were about $1200 when I picked them up from Pancho and Lefty.  I would love to have a pair of Clinch lace up or yeager boots in horsebutt, but I couldn't justify the price so I picked up some Wescos in Horween horsehide with naildown construction.  I'm confident they're not nearly as nice as the Clinch would be, but I don't have any regrets. 

Totally understandable, their new pricing is a little bit insane now. I think if they were $1200 still I probably would've already bought a pair.
I really like the Yeager boots too, I'd be interested in seeing your Wesco's you got in place of them. I haven't seen anything that resemble the Yeager boots from other makers.

12 minutes ago, Broark said:

Totally understandable, their new pricing is a little bit insane now. I think if they were $1200 still I probably would've already bought a pair.
I really like the Yeager boots too, I'd be interested in seeing your Wesco's you got in place of them. I haven't seen anything that resemble the Yeager boots from other makers.

The Wesco's I went with don't look much like the Yeager boots, nor was a trying to copy them.  The Wesco's design was largely poached from S&S x Wesco Knuckle Breaker; they're on the Morrison/Western last.  I was happy to be able to get them made up with naildown construction through Baker's; cleaner and sleeker than stitchdown. 

50042215842_d1fa4c52ef_z.jpgwesco by least weasel, on Flickr

Edited by Least Weasel
photo

@Broark think l remember Hollows selling his size 11's back in the day and l think they seemed perfect measurements-wise. Obviously the whole engineer boot thing is way out of my price range but tbh l want to try on before l buy and even if l did with, say, some lofgrens, l doubt if the soles of my feet would be able to handle them, since said operation :(

Edited by Dr_Heech

I recommend having someone proficient in measuring and tracing such as someone whose in carpentry or electrician etc if not able to make it to an authorized White’s, Wesco, Nick’s etc dealer.  It’s just too much to deal with errors with boots and maybe jackets.  My White’s fitting was done at a White’s dealer in NC, and my Wesco fitting was done by military buddy. 

@BroarkSock styles make a difference in fitting, might help with your Lofgrens.  I can tell when I switch from cotton to wool in my Wescos so I wear wool now.  

Edited by mlwdp

14 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I recommend having someone proficient in measuring and tracing such as someone whose in carpentry or electrician etc if not able to make it to an authorized White’s, Wesco, Nick’s etc dealer. 

Will i do?

fullsizeoutput_772

fullsizeoutput_61d

Heel against the wall

fullsizeoutput_2b5

Get yourself some vintage Made in Sheffield Moore & Wright sprung outside calipers and compare to boots you already own.

fullsizeoutput_524

Yes they do have to be Moore & Wright!

Rancourt used to do a downloadable pdf which you would print out with numerous foot measuring guides/templates, don't know if they still do but it was very accurate, there used to be an outline to fit your credit card to make sure your printer had the correct scale, i still have one on my bench at work.

...i also remember years ago, there was a boots company, might have been Wesco, you would send off for 2 cardboard boxes which were filled with a compactable foam, a bit like that Oasis stuff you use for flower arranging... you would open each box (marked left foot/right foot) and stand in them one foot at a time, compressing the foam, making 2x perfect foot tracings, close the boxes and post them back to be used as templates..anyone remember this? was it Wesco?

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

@BroarkSock styles make a difference in fitting, might help with your Lofgrens.  I can tell when I switch from cotton to wool in my Wescos so I wear wool now.  

Definitely does impact it, I think part of the issue is that when I was in high school I had reconstructive ankle surgery on my right ankle.
I suspect that my range of motion isn't as good as my left foot, so when I straighten my foot out to put it in the boot I can't quite get the right angle.
I have no issues with my Viberg engineers, as the shaft is a bit wider. Easy on and off.