Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

1 hour ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

And found some clown shoes I got in NYC around 2003

they all look better with age alright

0F3FAC2B-03BC-453E-B088-6DE89B2A8C0F.jpeg

If you had kept these in good condition with the straps, they would’ve been worth a lot.  Clean them up, and post them in the sneakers thread.  Or do what I would do, which is clean these up, post them in the sneaker thread, and then sell them on EBay as they’ll probably pull in some worthwhile money still.

Edited by mlwdp

9 hours ago, 81611 said:

@roomtemplacroix I like the look of those Lofgren M-43s. I’ve been eyeing them myself. How is the sizing compared to red wings?

i wear an 8.5D in red wing moc toes. i went with an 8D in the m-43s and i’d say the fit is about as good i can get. i have a relatively narrow foot (b width in cowboy boots) and this is a fairly wide boot. i benefit from a heavier sock, but overall they fit fine for me. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:01 PM, Broark said:

What’s the general consensus when it comes to penny loafers? I’ve never worn a pair, but I’m kind of into the Rancourt natural CXL ones that they’re running their crowdfunding campaign for. Here’s a photo of a pair worn for a year. I think they’d be a nice summer shoe, easy on and off. Also growing up my grandpa wore a beat up pair around the house so I remember them as being generally cool in a grandpa-chic kind of way.
x8YJjdn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Personally, I feel like penny loafers lie in a strange middle ground of formal/informal where I can't actually see myself wearing them regularly enough. I don't really see how they're a cooler option in summer weather, other than that they're easier than oxfords to take off when your feet are sweating, but the leather is usually too nice for me to feel comfortable wearing them barefoot. They often have the dressy sole and heel and are photographed/worn in immaculate shiny condition, which to me, makes it seem more appropriate for a lighter suit or sportcoat situation rather than denim and workwear. I actually like the way they look, but I feel like I'd always choose some cheaper birks, camp mocs, or even boat shoes for warm weather since they're easier for me to work with.

about to drop my deposit for a pair of Role Club Underdogs.

was wondering if any of you have experience with his black CXL horsehide or the hand dyed cxl horsehide?

On 7/7/2020 at 10:08 PM, Duodequinquagesimus said:

In 39 years of practise I did quiet a few MMAA but never TKD. 
Sorry I cannot name the one most important as it is very low profile and acting like a clown in here wouldn’t be good for the reputation of the art 

You won't nane your martial art for fear of dishonour??

15 hours ago, Broark said:

Yeah I think I'm with you there @Coolguyzack, I've talked myself out of a pair for the time being.
Maybe when I'm 10 years older. :D

Not encouraging you to get a pair ASAP, but with your swagger and where you live you could pull of a pair B)

I think the biggest factor that swayed me away from them is the leather sole. I’m not a huge fan of leather soles as they always seem to make that awful crunching noise whenever you walk through any environment that’s not perfectly clean.

Can you get an overlay glued on by a local cobbler. I prefer a leather outsole construction, and always get an overlay put on. I don't like walking on leather soles either, for the same reason. A leather sole with an overlay has great longevity as it's easier to change as needed with no impact on the construction. 

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

You won't nane your martial art for fear of dishonour??

We never mention the art and who we do train or work for. Confidentiality Agreement in full force. And even if not stipulated in the contract I wouldn’t even dare to say a word publicly. Whoever tells you what they do or who they train or work for is bullshitting unless talking about sports or amateurs. 

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus
Grammar

1 hour ago, Broark said:

I think the biggest factor that swayed me away from them is the leather sole. I’m not a huge fan of leather soles as they always seem to make that awful crunching noise whenever you walk through any environment that’s not perfectly clean.

You could talk to a Brian the Bootmaker about making you a loafer.  Gentry did post some updated pics of his on his IG story.  Send him a dm  to see them again.  I think they were in Horsehide CXL.

2 hours ago, SLAB said:

about to drop my deposit for a pair of Role Club Underdogs.

was wondering if any of you have experience with his black CXL horsehide or the hand dyed cxl horsehide?

Mine are the black cxl horsehide. The leather is supple from the start but sturdy enough to resist scratches. I am around dogs all of the time and they have yet to have any effect on the leather in 9 months. 

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

You could talk to a Brian the Bootmaker about making you a loafer.  Gentry did post some updated pics of his on his IG story.  Send him a dm  to see them again.  I think they were in Horsehide CXL.

Yeah I'm not that sold on them, I was looking at the Rancourt ones because they were a good deal with their crowdfunding campaign.
Not looking to drop a grand and wait for two years for some loafers right now. 

17 minutes ago, Broark said:

Yeah I'm not that sold on them, I was looking at the Rancourt ones because they were a good deal with their crowdfunding campaign.
Not looking to drop a grand and wait for two years for some loafers right now. 

*W. H. Ranch has entered the chat

2 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

We never mention the art and who we do train or work for. Confidentiality Agreement in full force. And even if not stipulated in the contract I wouldn’t even dare to say a word publicly. Whoever tells you what they do or who they train or work for is bullshitting unless talking about sports or amateurs. 

Are you a ninja or perhaps a shogun? Or a licenced bodyguard?/close protection officer?

You've just said you did MMA and kickboxing but wont name your main martial art....? Interesting. ....  unless I've completely missed your point I'm thinking some mcdojo rubbish that believes their style to be deadly to be taught... 

I was actually genuinely interested as a fellow martial artist.

I've enjoyed your input to this point but now I'm thinking BS.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I worry the naming of the art plus the association with those red boots might narrow things down a little too much to maintain anonymity... :ph34r2: