Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

6 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

It’s great that you have shoes for specific occasions or activities. I’m planning on visiting ‘Antiques Roadshow’ when it rolls into Fulchester next year and understand it’ll be a fairly large outdoor event. Do you have any recommendations?

Depends on your goals, face, body, attitude etc

but I don’t think you have a wide range of looks. Hope I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

It’s great that you have shoes for specific occasions or activities. I’m planning on visiting ‘Antiques Roadshow’ when it rolls into Fulchester next year and understand it’ll be a fairly large outdoor event. Do you have any recommendations?

All you need for the Antiques roadshow is a panama hat, a pair of pastal trousers and a sense of entitlement

4 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

These were excellent for walking in the beach

5DB3A942-AFE8-46D3-B190-61B11CE1DB1B.jpeg

These must be for when the old 'There's no place like home - fetch my pipe and slippers - I'm going for a run' moment catches you? 

I still stand behind my opinion that Grant Stone is the best overall value for boots & shoes. Solid. The only thing I'd say from an aesthetic point of view is their toe is a little too pointy for my taste. But for the masses that they're aiming for, they're on point (HA! Did you see what I did there? Ahem...). The father of the founders used to work for Alden for decades, so there's no coincidence if there's a resemblance. 

Image taken by grantstone of Traveler Penny Crimson CXL

image.thumb.png.ed778d4546e070c29a3c5e1cca30ea70.png

Their new Chelsea does look good. I'd prefer it about 1" taller. I quite like their new waxed Earth leather f/ Charles F. Stead. They don't offer the Chelsea in Wide sizes, otherwise I'd prolly have copped a pair already. I'm sure they'll offer it other leathers, sooner than later. 

image.png.65c8b3527ebba23e0346011d362ce3dc.png

Edited by mpukas

1 hour ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

And found some clown shoes I got in NYC around 2003

they all look better with age alright

0F3FAC2B-03BC-453E-B088-6DE89B2A8C0F.jpeg

If you had kept these in good condition with the straps, they would’ve been worth a lot.  Clean them up, and post them in the sneakers thread.  Or do what I would do, which is clean these up, post them in the sneaker thread, and then sell them on EBay as they’ll probably pull in some worthwhile money still.

Edited by mlwdp

9 hours ago, 81611 said:

@roomtemplacroix I like the look of those Lofgren M-43s. I’ve been eyeing them myself. How is the sizing compared to red wings?

i wear an 8.5D in red wing moc toes. i went with an 8D in the m-43s and i’d say the fit is about as good i can get. i have a relatively narrow foot (b width in cowboy boots) and this is a fairly wide boot. i benefit from a heavier sock, but overall they fit fine for me. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:01 PM, Broark said:

What’s the general consensus when it comes to penny loafers? I’ve never worn a pair, but I’m kind of into the Rancourt natural CXL ones that they’re running their crowdfunding campaign for. Here’s a photo of a pair worn for a year. I think they’d be a nice summer shoe, easy on and off. Also growing up my grandpa wore a beat up pair around the house so I remember them as being generally cool in a grandpa-chic kind of way.
x8YJjdn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Personally, I feel like penny loafers lie in a strange middle ground of formal/informal where I can't actually see myself wearing them regularly enough. I don't really see how they're a cooler option in summer weather, other than that they're easier than oxfords to take off when your feet are sweating, but the leather is usually too nice for me to feel comfortable wearing them barefoot. They often have the dressy sole and heel and are photographed/worn in immaculate shiny condition, which to me, makes it seem more appropriate for a lighter suit or sportcoat situation rather than denim and workwear. I actually like the way they look, but I feel like I'd always choose some cheaper birks, camp mocs, or even boat shoes for warm weather since they're easier for me to work with.

about to drop my deposit for a pair of Role Club Underdogs.

was wondering if any of you have experience with his black CXL horsehide or the hand dyed cxl horsehide?