Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

What’s the general consensus when it comes to penny loafers? I’ve never worn a pair, but I’m kind of into the Rancourt natural CXL ones that they’re running their crowdfunding campaign for. Here’s a photo of a pair worn for a year. I think they’d be a nice summer shoe, easy on and off. Also growing up my grandpa wore a beat up pair around the house so I remember them as being generally cool in a grandpa-chic kind of way.
x8YJjdn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Broark

Penny loafers are cool, if all the pieces come together right - leather, details, over-all design

@mhmrzky what do think of Sagara? I mean you have a lot of different pairs so I’m guessing you like em but then you also live in Indonesia so it’s kinda easy for you to get a hold of em, right? I’m especially interested in the combatant boots. A little mini review with a some photos would be great if you had the time!

28 minutes ago, Broark said:

I'm on the fence a little since I think they might be too preppy for my style.
I haven't seen many photos of guys rocking penny loafers with straight legged jeans.

It depends.  Are you as cool as Gentry to wear them?

FYI his loafers are made by Brian the Bootmaker.

Broark, I have a pair of Rancourt CXL penny loafers.  They're a solid, easy on-off shoe.  Compared to more expensive preppy classics like the Alden shell cordovan or JM Weston 180, they're more casual, as you know.  However, if I'm going to wear a penny loafer (which isn't often), I prefer the latter two, as the Rancourt is neither here nor there to my eye.  But it is one of their most popular shoes.

There is a Rancourt shoe I wear all the time and would buy again.  It's the Classic Ranger Moc in natural CXL.  Unfortunately, the natural CXL/red sole combination isn't included in the crowdfunded offerings, but it's a great shoe in any layout -- fits like a slipper but has more support and stays on.  Runs true to size.

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/ranger-moc/classic-ranger-moc-10675.html

@Broark Although this guy's style is more #menswear, he does incorporate classically ivy/preppy styles with milsurp and vintage styled repro clothing into his outfits.

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

However, if I'm going to wear a penny loafer (which isn't often), I prefer the latter two, as the Rancourt is neither here nor there to my eye.  But it is one of their most popular shoes.

There is a Rancourt shoe I wear all the time and would buy again.  It's the Classic Ranger Moc in natural CXL.

Interesting, just not a fan of the style? Also funny you mention the ranger mocs in natural CXL, I already preordered a pair of the crowdfunded version.
Not the red sole variant obviously, but I prefer the brown sole actually.

14 minutes ago, ReverendGlasseye said:

@Broark Although this guy's style is more #menswear, he does incorporate classically ivy/preppy styles with milsurp and vintage styled repro clothing into his outfits.

Good eye, that's a nice fit on both guys. Maybe I can pull them off...

For Rancourt slip-ons, I prefer their Venetian loafer. They used to offer it in a very thick natty leather. I don't care for the sole of this model, but you get the idea. 

Rancourt sizing can be tricky because the lasts vary.  I find the Beefroll Penny Loafer and Baxter Ranger Moc to run bigger and wider, while the Classic Ranger Moc and Read Boat Shoe are on the same last -- a little smaller and trimmer.

never heard of that Noel but just saw google pics and yeah very very very very far from him

just because you all dress the exact same means you have the same style or personality?

sneakers are for clowns unless you are actually training, yeah thats my opinon alright same as i think hhip hop 90s style was clowny too

17 minutes ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

never heard of that Noel but just saw google pics and yeah very very very very far from him

just because you all dress the exact same means you have the same style or personality?

sneakers are for clowns unless you are actually training, yeah thats my opinon alright same as i think hhip hop 90s style was clowny too

Never said anything about personality,  I'm sure your a nice guy ... maybe ?? 

It’s great that you have shoes for specific occasions or activities. I’m planning on visiting ‘Antiques Roadshow’ when it rolls into Fulchester next year and understand it’ll be a fairly large outdoor event. Do you have any recommendations?