Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

How do Grenson shoes fit? Any advice on sizing? I wear a 10.5 in Red Wing Heritage; a 10 in Red Wing Weekenders, Wolverine 1k, and various Clarks; a 28 in various Moonstar sneakers; a 9.5 in Lofgrens. My feet are pretty low-volume, which is often a limiting factor.

I have several pairs of Grenson. Nice shoes, trickers edge them out for quality  (so I'm told , never had trickers and have had no complaints about my Grenson. Also the price difference for most Grenson vs Trickers is like Redwing vs Viberg) but Grenson have more styles and variety.

I'm 7 or 7.5 in Redwing and 7 in most  Clarks and take 7 or 7.5 in Grenson. Pay attention to the width options as thy really do make a difference in their sizing. 

What style you going for?

Good info, thanks. I've always wanted to be more interested in Trickers than I am—as a brand, they seam really neat, and I only ever hear good things about the construction & materials—but none of their styles really do it for me.

Both the Dexter and the Dermat are discounted on their site in snuff suede, and both styles are really appealing to me. Both are on the 213 last, for whatever that's worth. Raw suede's no good where I live, so I'd probably do them up with a heavy coat of dubbin from the start. I don't have any good reason to be in the market for a pair of monkey boots, but as it turns out I don't own a single pair of blutchers, so…

edit: @Geeman, is that US sizing for RW and Clarks vs. UK sizing for Grenson?

Edited by julian-wolf

42 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

How do Grenson shoes fit? Any advice on sizing? I wear a 10.5 in Red Wing Heritage; a 10 in Red Wing Weekenders, Wolverine 1k, and various Clarks; a 28 in various Moonstar sneakers; a 9.5 in Lofgrens. My feet are pretty low-volume, which is often a limiting factor.

11us in RW and 1000miles - 10.5uk in Grenson. but I would buy Trickers if there is a decision to make B)

I remember when Endclothing had a hard time selling Grenson shoes and boots a few years ago.  They ran a lot of sales.   Not a fan of their “moflex” vibram soles they had at the time as I thought that sole was of lower quality.

8 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Good info, thanks. I've always wanted to be more interested in Trickers than I am—as a brand, they seam really neat, and I only ever hear good things about the construction & materials—but none of their styles really do it for me.

Both the Dexter and the Dermat are discounted on their site in snuff suede, and both styles are really appealing to me. Both are on the 213 last, for whatever that's worth. Raw suede's no good where I live, so I'd probably do them up with a heavy coat of dubbin from the start. I don't have any good reason to be in the market for a pair of monkey boots, but as it turns out I don't own a single pair of blutchers, so…

edit: @Geeman, is that US sizing for RW and Clarks vs. UK sizing for Grenson?

UK mate

8 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I remember when Endclothing had a hard time selling Grenson shoes and boots a few years ago.  They ran a lot of sales.   Not a fan of their “moflex” vibram soles they had at the time as I thought that sole was of lower quality.

End don't have a hard time selling them, you can tell by the fact they restock regularly and have carried them for years? 

End discount everything in regular sales ?

I disagree but I'm clearly biased. As I said Grenson vs Trickers is RW vs Viberg... 

I'm on about 8 pairs , for work and social and have never had an issue with any of them.

I have no experience with Grenson so I won't be able to offer any insight there. I do however own a pair of Trickers and they are very high quality footwear, they're not on the same level as some of the better MiJ brands but definitely on par or better than most of the US made brands. For me a lot of their offerings isn't that appealing (too much broguing) but they do some collaborations that are very nice - ie. with The Bureau in Belfast.

I'd say that the Trickers Ethan is a better offering aesthetically than the Grenson Dexter in a lot of ways even though I realise there's a substantial difference in price. That obviously comes down to personal taste though as I, as mentioned, have no experience with Grenson.

19 hours ago, mlwdp said:

$304.  Haven’t got them yet.  This is my first time with a slip on so I will post review when they come in August.

Did I mention I even have a Wesco T-shirt?  :laugh2:

18A1B021-0388-4929-A803-3417673BF3AD.jpeg

ive got 2 of those coming in a cap and ordered a romeo! hahahah

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Good info all around—seems to be the consensus that I'm better off staying away from them

Don’t stay away - Grenson is a good shoe and probably offers a bigger range of style (and price) than Trickers. There is a quality difference unless you go bench made or higher since a lot of Grenson is made in India ... although it’s not entirely true to assume that something made in a country like India or China means low quality 

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

I disagree but I'm clearly biased. As I said Grenson vs Trickers is RW vs Viberg... 

I'm on about 8 pairs , for work and social and have never had an issue with any of them.

Great analogy - my Grenson lasted for years and were a bit cheaper than my Trickers. I stick with Trickers now because the finishing is excellent and the last seems better, Grenson seem a bit ‘baggy’ after long use.

1 hour ago, Ar_thor said:

On the topic of Monkey Boots. I just got these in the mail yesterday night. I've had them on for 5 minutes and it feels like I've worn them for years.

IMG_20200609_093541.jpg

Real nice. 

What are the trousers? TCB Seamen’s? Great combo. 

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Don’t stay away - Grenson is a good shoe and probably offers a bigger range of style (and price) than Trickers. There is a quality difference unless you go bench made or higher since a lot of Grenson is made in India ... although it’s not entirely true to assume that something made in a country like India or China means low quality 

Great analogy - my Grenson lasted for years and were a bit cheaper than my Trickers. I stick with Trickers now because the finishing is excellent and the last seems better, Grenson seem a bit ‘baggy’ after long use.

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Great summary Duke, Grenson offer good bang for your book especially if bought on sale. Never experienced sagging/baggies although I do rotate my footwear a lot. My oldest pair are about 8 years and still going strong, my winter boots. 

Customer service and aftercare are also great. I spilt some drain cleaner on my winter boots and they took them back and repolished and buffed them back to nearly as good for free!

You guys need to try merino socks w/ boots. They're not hot in warm climates, even in tall leather boots, and they're much more comfortable for a long day. Darn Tough are hard to beat.