Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Is it possible to measure from sole to top of stitching on the Lofgren vs red wing? 
the Lofgren don’t look as tall or chunky as red wings?

Happy to measure toe box height later this afternoon, but I think a big part of that appearance might just be that the toes of the RWs have curled up some with use

The Lofgrens are appreciably lighter than the Red Wings—happy to measure that later today, too

I should mention that the Red Wings are sized 10.5 and the Lofgrens are sized 9.5 (same as my M43s)

Edited by julian-wolf

^ Thanks for that. I need to find someone skilled to send my Red Wings to—the RW factory fucked them up royally; both new soles are coming unstuck and during the resole they ground down parts of the welt right to the stitching so there's very little left to the work with

Shame, 'cause the uppers themselves feel like they still have a year or two left in them

Anyone have experience with using Shoe Goo for this sorta thing? I've toyed with the idea, but not sure what I'd use to evenly clamp the outsole to the midsole / welt while it set

15 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

700 and change, Ed, and last I checked Wesco doesn’t make anything like a classic pair of moc toes

your right im sorry but russel moccassin does!

Thorogood Black and Brown Chromexcel with wedge sole

Union Made in Marshfield, WI
Model 814-6780
Goodyear Welted Manufacturing
Horween Chromexcel Leather
Built on Thorogood's 60 Last
Wedge Sole
Speed Laces
Natural Leather Mid-sole
Antique Brass Hardware

F04190C8-F623-43F0-A4F9-4CA06E33C084.jpeg

436FCC27-E4CD-442C-B959-822683A24B85.png

Edited by mlwdp

Those RW-style Thorogood Mocs look great, could def. see myself getting a pair in the future

Only wish more companies (incl. Lofgren) would do them with a storm welt like the 1907 in stead of a classic GYW like the 875—really prefer how that goes with the rest of the styling

22 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

If I get to choose between a classic and an improved version of a classic, why not go for the improved version? Isn't that what this hobby's all about? 

#visvim

The boots look great btw. I'm sure you'll have them looking more respectable in no time! ;-)

4 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Like these?

Not specifically those, more just the general philosophy behind the brand. To take an american classic and elevate it with nicer materials, and in some cases add a quirky detail here and there.

Those are pretty nice as well though. I didn't love the shape when I first saw em, but it's growing on me. 

Edited by merzbot

@ecsong187, I was wrong about it just being the toe curl: the Red Wings measure 4.0 cm, vertically, from the bottom of the welt to the top of the toe box; the Lofgrens measure 3.5 cm

@Broark, the Red Wings weigh 2 lbs 2.0 oz. each, with laces; the Lofgrens weigh 1 lb 9.8 oz. each

I think the laces on the Red Wings are maybe 1–2 oz. heavier than the laces on the Lofgrens, but not gonna thread them out to measure

I've got an old pair of RW mocs (2005) and they are heavy, as per Julian's numbers above. My wife bought a pair of RW mocs just a couple of years back and they are much lighter, even taking account of the smaller size - the sole is far less dense, feels spongey to the touch whereas mine are solid. This also stacks up with men's RW boots I've handled in recent years in shops.  I'm no Sherlock Holmes but seems like RW changed their soles at some point.  They may have decided that a long lasting sole wouldn't be the business model for them given the amount of repeat RW buyers out there.  

I bought another Wesco, this time Romeo.  I call it the “Un-Roller”.  Basically the Roller Mag collab without the Roller stamp on the navy leather insert.  Will receive in August.  My other Horsehide boss boot order comes in July.

The Romeo price wasn’t too bad either.

CUSTOM FIT ROMEO
STYLE BURGLE100LLRaptMaltTC (Size: Form On File)
  +Single-Tone:Burgundy Domain
  +Round Toe
  +Burlap Leather Lining
  +Raptor Malt
  +Do Not Ink Soles and Heels
  +Lightweight Brown Upper Stitching
  +White Outsole Stitching 
  +Black Elastic Goring
  +Toe Caps
  +Navy Leather Insert

https://www.the-klamp.jp/diary-detail/140

DF0A14EA-D67C-422F-B77B-DEE53F3BEE76.jpeg

B6E2D773-B540-4260-981E-7F0E43CBC968.jpeg

DF831197-0439-4943-A2F4-9BF54E4CD9A6.jpeg

$304.  Haven’t got them yet.  This is my first time with a slip on so I will post review when they come in August.

Did I mention I even have a Wesco T-shirt?  :laugh2:

18A1B021-0388-4929-A803-3417673BF3AD.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp