Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Yeah I own a SJ in a standard last. It’s been an ongoing project to get them resoled to a single sole from double (triple) midsole due to my job and lifestyle.  

F5837C57-85E1-4573-89F8-6F63B7812535.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

4 hours ago, tod said:

I found the SJs to be much more narrow in the toe box than the SD last.  It's a little surprising as they look chunkier, but to me they were like two widths narrower...  Just in the toe box.

That probably rules out the eastwest apparel version for me. custom order only.

There’s a reason why Japanese sites sell only e widths of SJ.....,,

Do yourself a favor, get a fit sheet going with Bakers, and get it in a bounty hunter last.

yes do a e width gav,

from now on when i will order whites any whites per se i will only do theyre dress leathers , red dog  and the roughouts and nothing more ... the rest are crappy and not suitable for work boots for me cxl are fucked up man

I finally decided to email RDT directly to see if I can order a pair of the Stans in size 12.
I was going to settle for a pair of RM Williams Gardner boots, but these are what I've really been after.
c87ae1d585777dd30b2891ed4c0837cb.jpg

I suspect I’ll probably get a “thanks, but no” response but it can’t hurt to try. I’m not a big fan of collapsed toe boxes, much prefer rounded bulkier looking boots personally. 

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

I suspect I’ll probably get a “thanks, but no” response but it can’t hurt to try. 

“If you build it, they will come.”

@mpukas there's a couple of western retailers that carry them: Tempo Design Store and Butterscotch.
Barnstormer has a good variety from Japan, as doest Foot Monkey.
https://www.barnstormer.jp/product/list.php?cat=32&page=1
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=foot+monkey+japan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I've wanting a pair of SuFu approved Chelsea's for a long time too. The RDT Stan's are cool but looking at them further the toe is just a little too bulbous for my taste. I'm not gonna tell you guys what I've been considering... SOOOO not SuFu approved... 

I’m worried personally I may not like what I chose regarding edge finish on my Wesco boss coming tonight two months, which would be my fault.  I went from black to natural edge and changed the outsole thread to white.  :( 

No, too embarrassing to say here publicly... 

I will say, and you might be interested in these, that the next pair for sneaks/fitness shoes I get will be from this small shoe maker in Montrose, CO - SOM

I have a question regarding Lofgren engineers or perhaps engineers boots in general. I few weeks ago I bought a couple of Lofgren engineers and was advised to go with the same size as my Donkey Punchers (10) as I had a little bit of room in there. When I got them I wasn't even close to getting my foot in there as it got stuck in the instep/ankle. That's all well, I returned them and was advised that going half a size would solve my problem. Today I got the new ones and it's exactly the same, my foot isn't getting in there. I've tried a shoehorn and a plastic bag but no luck - not even close. Comparing the boot to others I have there should be plenty of room for the actual foot so this has lead me to the conclusion that I might be doing something wrong. This is my first pair of engineers so I'm not sure how much pressure I should apply or if there's a secret technique I'm not aware of. Any tips or should I just give up and get a pair of M-43's instead? :wacko2:

here's my pair of RDT Casper boots; extremely well made and although I'm in the camp of the flat toe boots I do appreciate the aesthetic of a bigger bulbous toe

74876698_1565755953571360_1623202530486573457_n.jpg

@Ar_thor I've had a similar issue with my horsehide engineers from Lofgren, the right boot is very hard to get on.
Initially I tried the plastic bag trick and finally got my foot in, wore them for a couple of days and they've stretched out.
They're still a bit of a pain to get on and off, I definitely wouldn't wear them through an airport as it's a struggle to get in and out of them...

@Ar_thor feet are weird, dude. I have Lofgrens and have never had any issue at all getting them on and off. They're like putting on slippers for me. In fact, I have 6 pairs of engineers and none of them are difficult for me to get on and off now. 

However, I know other people who have the same issue that you do. The only thing I can add at this point is to ask if you're pointing your feet/toes down enough while you put them on.

You also may just need to push a little harder and get a boot jack to get them off. Maybe grease up the plastic bag a bit.

There are also some bootmakers/brands that offer to make the shafts wider to make this easier. I know Brian at Role Club will do this and I believe Wesco will too so if you really can't make these work, that might be something to look into.

I thought that usually this issue is due to a high instep/arch? 

My Lofgren engineers are very easy to get on and off FWIW, but they’re CXL, which might make a difference in softness.

Edited by Iron Horse

1 hour ago, Iron Horse said:

I thought that usually this issue is due to a high instep/arch? 

My Lofgren engineers are very easy to get on and off FWIW, but they’re CXL, which might make a difference in softness.

The ones I got are CXL as well and I'm quite certain my instep and arches are rather normal - especially since I haven't had any issues with any other boots. I'll have to give it another go and work on my technique and return them if all else fails

I have a high instep and had to size up a half in Attractions after trying my regular size at the Harajuku store with the plastic bag trick. Still needed the bag at first with the bigger boots - after a week or so I could get them on ok. You can really pull to get the mothers on. I remember thinking there was no way they were going to work and then they get past the narrow spot.

Ar_thor,

I have Lofgren engineers in CXL (sorry Ed!) and have the same issue, but only on one side for whatever reason  It's getting slightly better with time and break-in.  I do have high arches and the bone on top of my foot is fairly large (a large bone, hmm) so it's not surprising that these are hard to get into.  Just keep trying, with your foot pointing down and with the bag.  Also, it's helpful to stand up in order to exert more downward pressure.  Good luck.

I have to ask the obvious question, just to be sure, and pls forgive me if you have, but did you unbuckle the instep strap? 

That's the bane of all types of slip-on boots. A couple of other suggestions in addition to all of the above: you can try a silicon spray on either or both inside the heel of the boot and inside the instep. try will the thinnest socks you have, liek dress socks. If you can get your foot in, they will prolly give a little so you could eventually wear thicker socks. If you're going to keep them, you can try a leather softener to get the leather to relax the instep a bit. A cobbler will use it to stretch shoes/boots. You can also try saddle soap to soften the leather. but can't say from experience that it works.