Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

3 minutes ago, fre-co said:

Anyone going to talk me out of buying a pair of lighten donkey puncher boots?? 

Can't say I will - extremely comfortable boot despite it's chunkiness.

Edit: Providing we're talking Lofgrens

Edited by Ar_thor

6 hours ago, fre-co said:

Anyone going to talk me out of buying a pair of lighten donkey puncher boots?? 

nope... would be interested in response...

@Maynard Friedman you may laugh about rspca - check the actual urban slang on the term donkey punch: it's...

will be very interested to hear forum's thoughts on difference between Wesco Jobmaster, Onderhound LTT, JL Donkey Puncher, White's Cutter... 

[seems the donkey puncher has the most unfortunate name, the highest heel, perhaps the sharpest stitching?]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Edited for stupid auto correct. 

eastman have a lofgren logger - is it the same as the donkey puncher? Or any differences to make it ‘exclusive’?

at least if you buy it from Eastman, you don’t have to call it a donkey puncher or get in trouble with the rspca.. 

I was looking at the whites 350 on bakers new website. Look good but I can’t be bothered with import duties and waiting on customs. 

Here are my Tricker's Woodstock (4497S last) in size 9 UK, fitting 5. I honestly don't know much about leather and shoes, so don't expect any technical write-ups à la @dudewuttheheck haha 

This is there Olivvia deerskin leather, which is quite different from my other leather shoes. It's really soft, but the shoe is still structurally sound. I'm unsure how they'll hd up in rainy weather, so I'll have to test run them when I'm able to go out for a walk. I'll wait a while to see whether I'd like to have visible eyelets or not, but so far, so good. I'm really happy with how these fit! For more extra sizing info, I am a 10D US on a Brannock device, 9.5 in Lofgren engineers, 9.5D US in Red Wing number 8 last, and 10.5D US in New Balance.

20200506_145024.thumb.jpg.356462af1fc4290f0dd18b2fd1ee7f97.jpg

On 5/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, Broark said:

Alright y’all, tell me about your experience with the Russell Moccasin Clays Sporting chukka. I’ve seen these a lot lately and like the chunky look of them. 

I have a pair of similar Russells, a Nepenthes collab from about 10 years ago with a Christy sole. Two points: The toe box is not huge, and the leather is burly, so don’t expect meaningful stretch. I’d suggest TTS or going up a half size if you have long toes.

12 hours ago, fre-co said:

Edited for stupid auto correct. 

eastman have a lofgren logger - is it the same as the donkey puncher? Or any differences to make it ‘exclusive’?

at least if you buy it from Eastman, you don’t have to call it a donkey puncher or get in trouble with the rspca.. 

I was looking at the whites 350 on bakers new website. Look good but I can’t be bothered with import duties and waiting on customs. 

I'd say they're the same boot apart from the tag.

Eastwest have a pair of Smoke Jumpers that looks very similar to the Cutter - if you're in europe that is. They're nice, similar to the Punchers but the heel looks a little lower.

Speaking of White's - what do they compare to in quality?

Edited by Ar_thor

I've had several pairs of white's (mainly Semi-Dress) and the quality is very good. I have never had a complaint about the workmanship personally. Quality-wise they are close to Wesco, having owned both (although wesco may have the edge). 

Those smokejumpers on eastwest are nice looking. I would jump on those if they were black (although brown dress leather is also very tempting). Does anyone know how the smokejumper last compared to SD last? I'm probably an E is SD last.

1 hour ago, fre-co said:

I've had several pairs of white's (mainly Semi-Dress) and the quality is very good. I have never had a complaint about the workmanship personally. Quality-wise they are close to Wesco, having owned both (although wesco may have the edge). 

Those smokejumpers on eastwest are nice looking. I would jump on those if they were black (although brown dress leather is also very tempting). Does anyone know how the smokejumper last compared to SD last? I'm probably an E is SD last.

I found the SJs to be much more narrow in the toe box than the SD last.  It's a little surprising as they look chunkier, but to me they were like two widths narrower...  Just in the toe box.

Yeah I own a SJ in a standard last. It’s been an ongoing project to get them resoled to a single sole from double (triple) midsole due to my job and lifestyle.  

F5837C57-85E1-4573-89F8-6F63B7812535.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

4 hours ago, tod said:

I found the SJs to be much more narrow in the toe box than the SD last.  It's a little surprising as they look chunkier, but to me they were like two widths narrower...  Just in the toe box.

That probably rules out the eastwest apparel version for me. custom order only.

There’s a reason why Japanese sites sell only e widths of SJ.....,,

Do yourself a favor, get a fit sheet going with Bakers, and get it in a bounty hunter last.

yes do a e width gav,

from now on when i will order whites any whites per se i will only do theyre dress leathers , red dog  and the roughouts and nothing more ... the rest are crappy and not suitable for work boots for me cxl are fucked up man

I finally decided to email RDT directly to see if I can order a pair of the Stans in size 12.
I was going to settle for a pair of RM Williams Gardner boots, but these are what I've really been after.
c87ae1d585777dd30b2891ed4c0837cb.jpg

I suspect I’ll probably get a “thanks, but no” response but it can’t hurt to try. I’m not a big fan of collapsed toe boxes, much prefer rounded bulkier looking boots personally. 

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

I suspect I’ll probably get a “thanks, but no” response but it can’t hurt to try. 

“If you build it, they will come.”

@mpukas there's a couple of western retailers that carry them: Tempo Design Store and Butterscotch.
Barnstormer has a good variety from Japan, as doest Foot Monkey.
https://www.barnstormer.jp/product/list.php?cat=32&page=1
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=foot+monkey+japan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I've wanting a pair of SuFu approved Chelsea's for a long time too. The RDT Stan's are cool but looking at them further the toe is just a little too bulbous for my taste. I'm not gonna tell you guys what I've been considering... SOOOO not SuFu approved... 

I’m worried personally I may not like what I chose regarding edge finish on my Wesco boss coming tonight two months, which would be my fault.  I went from black to natural edge and changed the outsole thread to white.  :(